Si yesterday i got a pair of Rockit powered 5 speakers. Connected to the computer, they work fine, but when i connect a microphone to it i hear very little from the speaker. My setup is: Shure sm57 --> Microphone cable--> xlr on one of the monitors. What is the problem??
you need a mixer to run to the speakers.

so it should be mic>mixer>speakers and you will have sound.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
A dynamic microphone (such as an SM57) will need some amplification before going to speakers. A mixer or computer interface will work fine.
Have you adjusted the input sensitivity on the back?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Usernames sucks
Ok guys Shuld i get a mixer, with my soundcard, or isnt it any point if i have a sound card?

Does that XLR port on the speaker provide phantom power to the mic? If not, you could just get a phantom power adaptor.

I would call the company and ask them if there is something wrong with that XLR port - and if it is expected to amplify a direct mic.

Another solution would be to buy an interface for your computer instead of a mixer. I use the Edirol UA-25. It plugs into your computer via USB and is essentially a second sound card for your computer. The mic goes into the interface and the speakers either hang off of that, or are plugged into your computers sound card.

You could also by a XLR to 1/8 adapter and run your mic into your mic-in on your computer, completely bypassing an interface - but your recording quality will vary, especially with older sound interfaces that are built into motherboards.
Last edited by 667 at Mar 1, 2012,
Quote by 667
Does that XLR port on the speaker provide phantom power to the mic? If not, you could just get a phantom power adaptor.

I would call the company and ask them if there is something wrong with that XLR port - and if it is expected to amplify a direct mic.

Another solution would be to buy an interface for your computer instead of a mixer. I use the Edirol UA-25. It plugs into your computer via USB and is essentially a second sound card for your computer. The mic goes into the interface and the speakers either hang off of that, or are plugged into your computers sound card.

You could also by a XLR to 1/8 adapter and run your mic into your mic-in on your computer, completely bypassing an interface - but your recording quality will vary, especially with older sound interfaces that are built into motherboards.

SM57's don't need phantom power.....
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
What are you trying to accomplish with this? Are you trying to record or use your monitors as a PA?

If you're trying to record, just get an XLS --> USB cable and plug directly into your computer. Then use whatever recording software to knock yourself out with.

If you're trying to use them as a PA you'll do the same thing -- but you'll have to make sure you select that input as a playback device on your computer if it doesn't do this by default.

Either way that's a useful solution.
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
See, the trouble here is you're looking at the back of your speaker and seeing an XLR input, then thinking you can simply plug a microphone directly into it and then use the monitor as an amplifier.

What that XLR input is there for is a speaker cable, not a microphone cable. It's expecting something like an audio interface with L/R jacks on the back, running a line to each monitor. It's not looking for a direct connection to your microphone...
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Quote by Arby911
SM57's don't need phantom power.....

Oups.
Quote by Usernames sucks
What is the problem??

The double negative in your thread title...
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Bottom line is you need a preamp in between the mic and the speakers, whether provided by your computer interface or otherwise.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1