Hi everyone. I recorded a drummer a while back and did a "safety session" of just singular hits so that if he messed up a few parts I could just write them in with his own kit samples. I've made the samples and loaded them into NI's Battery. The only issue is that there is going to be no change in velocity. I recorded multiple velocities of the snare/hat/ride so that I could do different hits of each.

Is there is a way to make my samples midi notes so that I could change the velocity and pitch if I want to? I have PT9, Logic, and Reason(I despise Reason though and prefer not to use it).
Battery 3 has a "Humanize" you can apply to each sample (Picture below of where to find it). I don't have enough experience in PT and have never really used the other two to help you with specifics, but you should be able to edit the velocities in the piano roll.

If you're happy to use Logic, the easiest way is to bypass Battery altogether and create a new software instrument track.

Then load Ultrabeat as the channel input (can do this in the mixer, or with the Inspector panel [press 'I'] channel strips) and close all sections of the sampler off except for the sample loader (just click all the red power buttons and bits lit up in red until they are unlit) and load in the different hits to different MIDI notes.

Then program the hits in piano roll (press 'P' to open this).

If you have any problems ask away/PM but that should be enough for you to work it out!
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
If you're happy to use Logic, the easiest way is to bypass Battery altogether and create a new software instrument track.

Then load Ultrabeat as the channel input (can do this in the mixer, or with the Inspector panel [press 'I'] channel strips) and close all sections of the sampler off except for the sample loader (just click all the red power buttons and bits lit up in red until they are unlit) and load in the different hits to different MIDI notes.

If you have any problems ask away/PM but that should be enough for you to work it out!

Basically that's what I do in FL. I like my hits to be varied by how I want them. I actually load the samples in Battery and piano roll that Battery 3 and assign the velocities like that.
I used to, until I bought Slate Trigger, which can use .tci files so I use Trigger Instrument Editor to create my own, multi-layer TCI samples instead of loading the individual velocities to separate notes. It's the same thing essentially, but letting Trigger do a bit of the tiresome work
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by FireHawk
Battery 3 has a "Humanize" you can apply to each sample (Picture below of where to find it). I don't have enough experience in PT and have never really used the other two to help you with specifics, but you should be able to edit the velocities in the piano roll.

I know about the humanize function but since they're not midi to begin with I'm not sure if it'll work.

Quote by DisarmGoliath

I'll have to give that a shot when I get a chance. I was planning on using the piano roll anyway
^ i don't think you understand what midi is. Its just data, in this case to trigger a sample.
Can I assume you want to change the performance of the recorded audio into midi events? And then use the drum hits of different velocities to replace what you have now?

I use KT Drum Trigger, which is a freeware VST plugin. It takes, say, your snare drum track or your kick drum track or whatever, and every time it detects a signal (you can manually set various thresholds and sensitivities), it creates a midi note in its place.

Then you use that resulting midi track to trigger whatever samples of your choosing, which may be samples you have created. You would do that with another drum sampler plugin.

You would assign your drum plugin (assuming it has velocity layers), say, four different velocity layers, with each range of velocities assigned to a particular sample that matches with that.

Now, your success will be dependent on how well you are able to separate one drum hit from another. If you have the kick on one track, snare on another, floor tom on another track, etc., this is easy. If you have simply flown up a single pair of drum overheads, you could well find yourself screwed.

CT

EDIT: You should also move your midi tracks backwards in time a few ms or so to ensure that they are in time. Consider that the process of your computer playing a sound, having that sound run through a filter, having that filter recognize it and then create and print a midi event doesn't happen instantaneously.
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I use battery alot.

This a little complicated to explain so bare with me.

If you took multiple hits at different velocity. You can go through an assign them to individual channel (cells)

Or overlay so between 1-127 message will trigger light/med/hard high hat. like so http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlxdJXvBmZs

Then take route individual channels like so http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2pwH43HwVs

Now create a midi channel routing into battery and program pattern using velocity should now change the sample. And the multi-routing will allow you too render pattern and save CPU power.