So I was taking the strings off of my guitar when all of a sudden, the nut completely snapped off of the guitar. I play a Takamine GS430S acoustic guitar. Is there a way I can put the nut back on with glue or something or should I completely replace it?

P.S. Sorry If this is the wrong section to post this
Last edited by JimiZeppelin4 at Mar 1, 2012,
I don't know much about guitar repairs, but you don't seem to either. It's probably cheapest to take it to a guitar repair shop. That way you don't have to buy a whole new instrument and you don't risk further damage through attempting to repair it yourself.
Party on Wayne. Party on Garth.
Nuts aren't always glued on.

Are you sure the tension of the strings didn't always hold it in place?

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Last edited by Jiggzy.UK at Mar 1, 2012,
nuts are almost never glued in. if the nut isn't broken in half, just put it back and restring as normal. you can put a single drop of white glue under the nut if you want it not to come off to easily.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Did it actually break or just come away in-tact? If it's the latter, just put it back. The tension of the strings will hold it in place. If it's the former then you will have to replace it.
Normal, as Patti says. Many are simply held in place by string tension.