Hi I got my new bass (Fender Active P bass Deluxe) at christmas last year (2011) it's brilliant in every way the only problem i've got and it's only been a problem as of recently is the action keeps getting lower and lower.

The action only lowers on the A string and the G string (on standard tuning) and I have to keep adjusting, it to get rid of the buzzing sound.

SO...
My question is: Is there a way to fix this issue? do I need to put something on the bridge to make it stay in one place? Do I need a new bridge? Could it be my case that lossens them when I'm not playing (gig bag not hardshell)? Is it something to do with my strings (don't know how but maybe )

My teacher suggested putting nail polish onto the screws to make them stay in one place though this doesn't seem very permanent.

This is exactly what the birdge of my bass looks like, basically the screws become closer to the bottom metal plate to adjust the action (which is my problem)
The Bridge:
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Vintage-Style-Bass-Bridge-fits-Fender-Basses-Chrome_p_831.html

Any input would be appreciated
Last edited by Rule Britannia at Mar 1, 2012,
I have this issue on a tele. Needs a new, bigger screw in the bridge saddle.
Never had a problem with those kind of bridges before. Are you sure the neck isn't bowing? Unlikely with a new bass but worth looking at.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by King Of Suede
Never had a problem with those kind of bridges before. Are you sure the neck isn't bowing? Unlikely with a new bass but worth looking at.

^This. It sounds like your truss rod needs a tweak.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
put a small drop of lock-tite on the allen screws on those bridge sadles it will keep them from backing out.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Applying something to the screws seems to be the general opinion, i'll get some lock tite or something of that nature and apply it to the each of the screws on the bridge saddles (after determining a level of action I want to keep)
if you know how to do it, I'd look the bridge and try to adjust the truss rod. remember that to do so, you'll need to loosen the strings, give between 1/8 and 1/4 turn, and wait like a day or so to give another tweak, if it is necesary. clockwise you'll straighten the neck, and conterclockwise, you'll add some bow to the neck.

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG

if you need any more info on how to do this, please ask.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Take a little fine point marker or a pocket knife and make a mark on the screws and the holes,to see if they're backing out.If not,it's your truss rod.
Quote by panhead201
Take a little fine point marker or a pocket knife and make a mark on the screws and the holes,to see if they're backing out.If not,it's your truss rod.

What is my truss rod doing to the bridge that lowers the action, could you explain why this is happening?
The bridge and the truss rod balance each other. If the truss rod is broken, the balance is thrown out. I think. I've only just started adjusting my own.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
I watched a couple of videos and the neck doesn't look like it's bowing, I think I'm going to go with adding locktite to the screws of the bridge.

If adding lock tite to the screws doesn't work I will know that it's the truss rod.
if your neck is stright, leave your truss rod alone. Too many people on these forums that know very little about tech work always scream "Adjust your truss rod" for any action related post.

The TS said the saddle is moving down. That has absolutely nothing to do with his trus rod.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
if your neck is stright, leave your truss rod alone. Too many people on these forums that know very little about tech work always scream "Adjust your truss rod" for any action related post.

The TS said the saddle is moving down. That has absolutely nothing to do with his trus rod.

Thank you

Lock Tite it is.

Much appreciated. Just waiting for my new strings before I fix the saddles in

(getting some Ernie Ball Cobalt Hybrid strings )
Quote by CJ Noble
it baffles me that Ernie Ball is still regarded as a decent brand for strings

you don't think it is? why?

TS: on a second thought, it sound better to try new strings, if doesn't work, try with lock tite, if doesn't work, try with truss rod.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by CJ Noble
it baffles me that Ernie Ball is still regarded as a decent brand for strings

I have used EB strings for almost 20 yrs, and they work just fine. Yes I'm sure there are better barnds, but I prefer EB and D'Addario myself. I cant justify spending more than $4 for a set of strungs I will just replace in a week. Oh and just so you kno I have tried Elixer and others and they always fail in the first day (well at lest 1 string in every pack)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I have used EB strings for almost 20 yrs, and they work just fine. Yes I'm sure there are better barnds, but I prefer EB and D'Addario myself. I cant justify spending more than $4 for a set of strungs I will just replace in a week. Oh and just so you kno I have tried Elixer and others and they always fail in the first day (well at lest 1 string in every pack)

$4? a week? you're in the bass forum son, there are no $4 strings and nobody replaces them more than every month
Quote by CJ Noble
$4? a week? you're in the bass forum son, there are no $4 strings and nobody replaces them more than every month

yep your right I was a little tired when I posted that. I only change my Bass strings a bout every 6 months, but I rarely play bass. I still use EB and D'addario strings.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate