Hey guys!
I know you are very knowledgable on this stuff and I hope you can help me!

In this video :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79ldB7ltkYo

The lead guitarist on the left has a very distinct tone. It's very bright and punchy. There's something more than distortion but what ?? What is giving him that extra punch ?
Examples :
Solo at 1:34
Part at 2:24

The amp is a Fender Supersonic, I think he uses a Visual Sound Double Trouble and a Fulltone GT-500. Would these pedals be the source of that distinct tone ?

What is this mystery ?
Thanks for the help :

PS: I get the feeling that you guys are more into metal and heavy stuff, but if you could male this exeption for me. Thanks!
Yeah, it's the amp and the way he plays.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I didn't know the Fender Supersonic was that special!

Can I get something close with a Blues Jr and a Visual Sound Jekyll&Hyde and the same guitar as him ?

EDIT: Do you think the pickups would come into play ? Would he have special pickups ? or really 100% AMP ?
Last edited by alans056 at Mar 1, 2012,
I want to say there is a fast and very subtle chorus OR a super fast and super short delay on. I only hear it on certain parts. It seems less subtle than pure reverb, but subtle enough where I can't quite place it. You should be able to cop that basic tone though by turning up the Blues Jr pretty loud but still have it clean, using the aforementioned pedal with moderate distortion, and some guitar with humbuckers (like his).
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
oh right, so maybe some chorus or delay ? I thought I heared a super fast tremolo in some parts, you maybe on to something !
I ought to boost my treble on the amp right?

So it's definetly not only the Fender Supersonic?

But does his amp make a big difference?
Well, a lot of it is the amp, but as long as you have a nice Fendery sound as the base sound, it shouldn't be hard to get an approximation of the tone. Bear in mind it won't be exactly like a Super Sonic stack. It's a sort of bright tone, but don't overdo the treble. It still sounds warm yet bright and crisp.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
What is the particularity of the Fender Supersonic halfstack then ? Compared to a Blues Jr (a part from the volume of course)
it's very different.

they used deluxe reverbs before I think as well.

at any rate if you turn your amp up all the way and turn the treble up you should be good.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Thanks!
So he might be getting that tone with a chorus or delay.

And would you say it is overdrive or distortion ?
lol there is no chorus or any other fx, he's just picking harder. definitely no tremolo. might be a little bit of delay but it's not anything different than what he would have been using the rest of the song.

if you want that kind of sound, just pick with a little bit more snap per note. it's funny that someone pointed out that it's a little bit dry sounding, a dry sound can really accentuate differences in your pick attack and allows for more nuanced playing. it's why a lot of people don't like to run a lot of effects.
That very bright tone is almost like reverb. You can't get that only by picking harder, there surely must be something else involved! I googled his pedalboard and he has a EHX memory man, which is a chorus and delay pedal. Are you sure you can't hear it here ?
Quote by al112987
it's funny that someone pointed out that it's a little bit dry sounding, a dry sound can really accentuate differences in your pick attack and allows for more nuanced playing. it's why a lot of people don't like to run a lot of effects.

I don't inherently have anything against a dry sound. It's more that when the particular dry sound in question is pretty trebly or has certain clipping characteristics, it can be unpleasant to me. What I don't like is an overly bright dry sound. I like a lead guitar tone to have some balls and really sing. I didn't necessarily find the tone in the clip to be absolutely horrible, but it's not my kind of tone.

But we're mostly talking tonal preference here and this isn't really my kind of music either, so no biggie.
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Mar 2, 2012,
Quote by alans056
That very bright tone is almost like reverb. You can't get that only by picking harder, there surely must be something else involved! I googled his pedalboard and he has a EHX memory man, which is a chorus and delay pedal. Are you sure you can't hear it here ?
reverb does not make a sound inherently brighter. Regardless I don't hear any significant amount of reverb. You don't believe that pick attack can change your sound? It can matter a lot. I don't really hear any sort of modulation effect at all. Maybe a clean boost or something but not any modulation. I dont hear any delay or chorus. I own a delay pedal and chorus too but I don't always use it.
Last edited by al112987 at Mar 3, 2012,
I played a supersonic at a store once, and that tone is 100% supersonic. It actually sounds exactly like that, it's awesome. Great cleans, too. I don't hear any modulation at all, I really don't hear much overdrive pedal influence either. If anything there's a compressor, but even then I wouldn't be surprised if there are no pedals active. A Les Paul into a Supersonic will make that exact sound.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
I played a supersonic at a store once, and that tone is 100% supersonic. It actually sounds exactly like that, it's awesome. Great cleans, too. I don't hear any modulation at all, I really don't hear much overdrive pedal influence either. If anything there's a compressor, but even then I wouldn't be surprised if there are no pedals active. A Les Paul into a Supersonic will make that exact sound.

wow really ? that's awesome I didn't know the Supersonic was such a great amp ! Further more I didn't know an amp could make that much of a difference in tone !

Must have been fantastic playing with that tone!