Hi everyone,

This question may be stupid, I don't know, but... Do you think that creativity has a limit ?

My wonder is mainly about guitar because I'm a guitar player (notice I haven't written musician), but I guess this applies to any instrument and actually anything.

I'll go on with the guitar thing because I know more about this topic. So, many musicians have brought a lot to music (for examples, Hendrix, Black Sabbath, Exodus, Death, etc). Many techniques and patterns and stuff have been discovered. Many masterpieces have been created.

All that realised, does it make harder to be original ? In the future, are there going to be new legendary bands such as Megadeth, Iron Maiden (please don't have, I just listed these two because they are the first which came to my mind). What do you think ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3Tk6Z6XbMs

As long as there are mind altering drugs, there will always be new music.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by JazzGuy111
Ahhh, how I love Sun Ra.

^.^
I was trying to find another video but settled for that.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by MattyPS
Hi everyone,

This question may be stupid, I don't know, but... Do you think that creativity has a limit ?

My wonder is mainly about guitar because I'm a guitar player (notice I haven't written musician), but I guess this applies to any instrument and actually anything.

I'll go on with the guitar thing because I know more about this topic. So, many musicians have brought a lot to music (for examples, Hendrix, Black Sabbath, Exodus, Death, etc). Many techniques and patterns and stuff have been discovered. Many masterpieces have been created.

All that realised, does it make harder to be original ? In the future, are there going to be new legendary bands such as Megadeth, Iron Maiden (please don't have, I just listed these two because they are the first which came to my mind). What do you think ?

You can't have a "limit" on something you can't measure in the first place.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
There's no limit.

And if you think there is, then there goes the motivation.

Mozart and all those cats were going years ago and we're still all making music so I'm not worried about music. It's going to be alright.
Is there a limit to the universe?
maybe, but if there is, it doesn't matter anyway. We will never get to the end no matter how hard we try.
The pool is endless! Take a drink, as much as you want!
Yes you've reached the limit. Now you can only make generic music for the rest of your life.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I believe that a lot of creative music is already written.

If I go out locally, from time to time i see great musicians, but they are not famous or popular, so they go unnoticed.

A lot of people got famous after they died, or their music became popular a decade later then it's release, or became popular late in general.

^
These factors are did not alter the actual music they wrote/recorded.

I believe that the true question is, which creative idea becomes the next main thing..In the spotlight so to speak.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 2, 2012,
I'll say yes - as culture advances it's harder to be truly original.

Here's a trivial example. Ever thought of a good band name, checked it, and it's been used? Ever thought of a great film plot and someone then tells you it's been done?

I think it would be easy to invent punk, but damn! it's already been done. It's harder to invent a new genre.

All possible ideas can be mapped out multi-dimensional space. That space is gradually filled up as all the easy ideas are taken. It's still possible to be original, it's just harder than it used to be.
contrary to popular belief there is a limit to your own creativity, it's when you stop trying to create.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Whether or not there's a limit isn't important because you will likely never reach it. What's important is to always be striving for greater things. Everyone in this thread (including those who responded "no") composes with limited knowledge and experience. We can all achieve more, just keep working at it.
If we measure this mathematically (Yes I know, music is limitless, and theory is not a mathematical formula, but a set of guidelines etc. this is just hypothetically).

In a usual 'rock/pop' band you have four instruments, lets say; Guitar, Bass, Drums and a Singer. (4)
You have the 12 notes in Western Music (discounting the fact that you have multiple octaves in most of these instruments. (12)
You have whole, half, quarter, eighth, sixteenth and thirty-second notes most commonly used. (6)
You usually use 3-4 time sigs most commonly - 4/4, 3/4, 12/8 (again just examples). (3)

Now mathematically if we take JUST that you can use any combination in any order. So in formulaic terms, to work out how many combinations we can have we do this:
(4x3x2x1) + (12x11x10x9x8x7x6x5x4x3x2x1) + (6x5x4x3x2x1) + (3x2x1) = X
or:
4! + 12! + 6! + 3! = X
X = 24 + 479,001,600 + 720 + 6
X = 479,002,350 possible music combinations.
(that exclamation mark on your calculator)
This doesn't take into account the infinite amount of time sigs, semi-tones, note values or length of songs.
Making the amount of songs or musical creations completely limitless theoretically and practically...
The answer to the intital question... yes. Yours. Thats about all there is to it.
Quote by Puppet_616
If we measure this mathematically (Yes I know, music is limitless, and theory is not a mathematical formula, but a set of guidelines etc. this is just hypothetically).

In a usual 'rock/pop' band you have four instruments, lets say; Guitar, Bass, Drums and a Singer. (4)
You have the 12 notes in Western Music (discounting the fact that you have multiple octaves in most of these instruments. (12)
You have whole, half, quarter, eighth, sixteenth and thirty-second notes most commonly used. (6)
You usually use 3-4 time sigs most commonly - 4/4, 3/4, 12/8 (again just examples). (3)

Now mathematically if we take JUST that you can use any combination in any order. So in formulaic terms, to work out how many combinations we can have we do this:
(4x3x2x1) + (12x11x10x9x8x7x6x5x4x3x2x1) + (6x5x4x3x2x1) + (3x2x1) = X
or:
4! + 12! + 6! + 3! = X
X = 24 + 479,001,600 + 720 + 6
X = 479,002,350 possible music combinations.
(that exclamation mark on your calculator)
This doesn't take into account the infinite amount of time sigs, semi-tones, note values or length of songs.
Making the amount of songs or musical creations completely limitless theoretically and practically...

What these somewhat naive figures don't take into account is the number of combinations that simply sound like shit.

If every combination of notes worked then everyone could write a hit song.

'Good' melodies are only a tiny fraction of all theoretically possible combination of notes. Of course, what defines 'good' is going to be subjective.

What your numbers illustrate is the difficulty of finding a good combination amongst the millions of possible combinations of crap.
Quote by Jehannum
What these somewhat naive figures don't take into account is the number of combinations that simply sound like shit.

'Good' melodies are only a tiny fraction of all theoretically possible combination of notes. Of course, what defines 'good' is going to be subjective.

What your numbers illustrate is the difficulty of finding a good combination amongst the millions of possible combinations of crap.

I'm not saying every combination will sound good, or that these numbers represent the only number of things that can be played.
But it does demonstrate that if the number of things that can be played is essentially limitless, it would make sense that the number of good melodies, riffs, beats, grooves, songs etc (as well as the number of bad ones) is also, in theory, limitless.

And a tiny fraction of infinity, is still infinity. So to answer the OP's question "is there a limit to creativity?"
None of the above answers are incorrect in saying that for example, "the only thing to limit you is yourself" etc, but this also shows that in a more numerical way.
It allows us to show, with some ease that even taking some basic combinations, we can prove that creativity is virtually limitless.
Quote by Puppet_616
I'm not saying every combination will sound good, or that these numbers represent the only number of things that can be played.
But it does demonstrate that if the number of things that can be played is essentially limitless, it would make sense that the number of good melodies, riffs, beats, grooves, songs etc (as well as the number of bad ones) is also, in theory, limitless.

And a tiny fraction of infinity, is still infinity. So to answer the OP's question "is there a limit to creativity?"
None of the above answers are incorrect in saying that for example, "the only thing to limit you is yourself" etc, but this also shows that in a more numerical way.
It allows us to show, with some ease that even taking some basic combinations, we can prove that creativity is virtually limitless.

Overall, I agree. The end of creativity is nowhere in sight. It just gets harder to come up with something good that's never been thought of before.
Quote by Jehannum
Overall, I agree. The end of creativity is nowhere in sight. It just gets harder to come up with something good that's never been thought of before.

I agree with that too!
Quote by MattyPS
Hi everyone,

In composition or improvisation? Personally, I don't think there's limit, but perhaps the latter may be more challenging.
Quote by MattyPS
Hi everyone,

it is, and sure, there are limits to everything. does it matter? Surely you didn't pick up the guitar for the sole purpose of pushing the limits of creativity on it?

Quote by MattyPS

Just be yourself and don't worry about things like this.

If you like playing guitar, play it and enjoy it. Don't get hung up on stuff that doesn't matter.
shred is gaudy music

'Good' melodies are only a tiny fraction of all theoretically possible combination of notes. Of course, what defines 'good' is going to be subjective.QUOTE]

subjective being the key word...look back just 50 years...it was a different world in every aspect...remember that it was only since the early 1980's that personal computers were introduced to the masses..and the microchip being used in just about every device that had a button or switch.

to me it is just the beginning of creativity - and it wil reflect in evey aspect of human endever and of course in the arts..

your reference to "a hit song" .. remember its only a hit because it went through the "hit" machine .. not because it was a good song. (see VEE JAY records)

for me a true test of creativity is what can be done with very basic and simple ingreadients .. not high end exotic theories..example .. if a "new" resturant is being called the best resturant ever...order bacon and eggs...

play well

wolf
There's not a limit to originality. It might feel harder to be original, but just think, it was probably just as hard for the people who are the 'originals'. The only reason you'd create something that's already been done is probably due to your sub-conscious vaguely remembering the thing you are creating. I'd been lying if I tried to say it hadn't happened to me before!
We will never know what is possible in the future until it happens, but the question does remain:

With only 12 notes, will we run out of ideas one day?
Put it this way. There are not an infinite amount of words, yet people keep talking.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by MattyPS
Hi everyone,

the only limitations in music are the ones you make for yourself.