I can't seem to find a Metal pedal im happy with. Ive been doing a lot of research and it seems a lot of people are using Ibanez Tube Screamers on the distortion channel to boost it instead of a metal pedal. I might go with this option. I have a Mesa Boogie Rectoverb. How would this sound? Im looking to get some decently high gain sounds from my amp. Will this give me what im looking for? Which model Tube Screamer is a good choice? Ive noticed there are a few different ones. Thanks.
Last edited by Joeballz at Mar 1, 2012,
Quote by AcousticMirror
there's no reason you should need a boost with a rectoverb

Except for solos...maybe.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
I boost my 5150 with a TS9 just to tighten it up. If you're just trying to tighten up your low end and emphasize your sound/add bite, it's worth trying. And they make a good solo boost as Most_Triumphant pointed out so you could kick one in to fire up a little more gain and cut during lead sections. That said, I run mine with the gain at zero, the tone in between 12 and 1 o'clock, and the level almost all the way up. It's pretty much the standard settings when you're running a boost for an already distorted amp. That said, give it a shot. Tone is subjective and we could argue all day whether or not a TS9 would help. I know a ton of people who say a boost in front of a 5150 or 6505 is unnecessary and a ton who swear by it. I personally couldn't get the sound I was looking for without one in front of mine. If you're intension is to tighten up existing gain, go for it. If it's to add more distortion, you might want to look elsewhere... but I doubt a rectoverb needs more distortion anyway...
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
I'm not gonna disagree the rectoverb does have pretty good gain if I really crank it. I'm looking to tighten it up as mentioned and i would like to try and get some higher gain sounds at bedroom levels if possible. With that being said is a tube screamer still a good option? Or I'm I just better off trying to find a metal pedal I'll be happy with?
If you are looking to tighten up your sound than a tubescreamer will work fine. Dont waste your money on a metal pedal, your amp will do metal better than any pedal will.
Quote by guitarpatrick66
If you are looking to tighten up your sound than a tubescreamer will work fine. Dont waste your money on a metal pedal, your amp will do metal better than any pedal will.
Completely this. Distortion pedals sound like ass with already high gain amps, but an Overdrive pedal like a TS808, TS9 or their Maxon OD counterparts make Rectos sound ****ing amazing. I never use my Recto without a TS in the chain for metal, a straight Recto is too loose and flubbish for much other than hardcore unless it's really cranked.
I have one of the highest gain amps on the market and I use an OD. Not for more gain, mind you -- but to enhance the "bite," pinch harmonics, tighten up the bottom end for better staccato riffing, you name it.

I still use my amp without it for certain tones, however; with the gain turned up a bit. With the tubescreamer, my gain is only set to around 3/10. Still punishingly brutal...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by Joeballz
I'm looking to tighten it up as mentioned and i would like to try and get some higher gain sounds at bedroom levels if possible. With that being said is a tube screamer still a good option? Or I'm I just better off trying to find a metal pedal I'll be happy with?

That's pretty much the intension of using an overdrive as a boost with high gain amps.

Here's what an overdrive in front of a high gain amp will do for you:
1. Tighten up your tone overall
2. Provide a tighter and more acceptable tone at bedroom levels
3. Provide extra punch/clearer distortion at lower volumes

So yeah... get one... because all of the qualities you just describe are what an overdrive in front offers you. Like I said already, I run one in front of my 5150 solely for that reason.

Oh and a metal pedal? In front of a rectoverb? Don't even think about it... that's like buying a 5150 for the clean channel and then buying a pedal to make it liveable... you have more than enough gain and tone on tap for that with a rectifier/rectoverb and running a metal pedal shouldn't even be an option. I wouldn't even run a metal pedal in front of a fender frontman... that's how much I dislike them. Get a used TS9 or TS7 if you can or check out an OD808. The Green Rhino is excellent as well.
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Last edited by Krauser at Mar 2, 2012,
I have a Dual Rectifier Roadster and should receive a Maxon OD808 in a couple days. Reading online, that seemed to be the most recommended pedal. Ola Englund gets one hail of a lead tone in this video around the 2 minute mark, it was actually what sold me on the Maxon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWer6vLy_i4