Page 1 of 2
Hey guys.
Me and my friends recently started a band. We're pretty good, and I have some great songs written (I know, everyone thinks their songs rock, but mine do for real!). We're all 17 and we live in St. Louis.
How do we get started? Weve only played at a few high school events. People love us though, which is good considering the state of pop music now. is step one to record some songs? Or play some real shows? I just don't know where to start. Also, what percent of the songs we play can be covers? We have great songs but covers are always nice.
Will our band be sustainable to live off of? We're all smart guys, not dropping out school or anything, and all going to college. But if we rock hard enough you never know.
Thanks for the help
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Get a guy who plays the fogmachine. Instant success

Worry not, fog machines and crazy lights are top on the to do list
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG

This. My singer plays the fogmachine, but unfortunately we're looking to hire someone else as he can't do that and play guitar at the same time.
It's a trap. Obviously.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by trap111
(I know, everyone thinks their songs rock, but mine do for real!).

That's what they all say. And yours probably aren't very good either.

People love us though, which is good considering the state of pop music now.

Please elaborate, TS.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Power chords man.

Make sure your G and B string are comically un-tuned as well. OH!!! Really tight girl shirts, jeans and spiky hair bro! You'll be a shoe in.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG

Fssssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhh is the new WUB WUB.

OT: Practice, record some shitty tapes of yourself playing, press a CD of said shitty demos, take them to all the venues where you'd be allowed to play...

Then play some acoustic sets at local open mic nights and advertise your show during your set.
- Angst
- Hair dye
- Cheap guitars you can smash at the end of the show
- Anarchy symbol tats
- Lyrics about government corruption and how people suck
- Complimentary water bottles
- ????
- Profit!

Seriously: Start playing gigs. That's how most people get known
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Chick Corea, Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull

It is I, the mighty shitkicker, as prophesied by JustRooster. Obey me.
You should play shows around the city and work on your material. Build a name for yourself before you record anything. That way, more people are likely to buy what you put out if they've heard about you. I'd try playing small venues like bars that allow shows.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by theogonia777
That's what they all say. And yours probably aren't very good either.

Please elaborate, TS.

1) it was obvious sarcasm. I think they're decent. But so does everyone about their own songs. I acknowledge that.

2) I think you're all missing the point of the thread. What's our first move?
Quote by trap111
1) it was obvious sarcasm. I think they're decent. But so does everyone about their own songs. I acknowledge that.

I think you're missing the point of my post.

PUNK.
MUSICIANS.
DO
NOT.
NEED.
TO.
ASK.
FOR.
HELP.
NOW.
IF.
YOU.
WILL.
EXCUSE.
ME.
I.
AM.
OFF.
TO.
LISTEN.
TO.
SOME.
IGGY.
AND.
THE.
STOOGES.
DO.
WE.
SEE.
EYE.
TO.
EYE.
NOW
?
Quote by trap111

That's really not how it works.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Record a mixtape and send it to local clubs.
Cover like 2 songs per set (assuming you're doing a medium length set)
As for if you can live off it, probably not. At least not until you can play really often, and have a decent sized fanbase.

Also, is it like pop punk, or legit punk (Black Flag, Sex Pistols, Agent Orange, Circle Jerks, or dead Kennedys styled stuff)
I smoke like Rasta, got hair like pasta
I be sippin' on them shots then bustin' rhymes like Busta

Load up the bong, crank up the song, let the informa call 911
Last edited by vanhailin at Mar 1, 2012,
Quote by Alex Vik
This. My singer plays the fogmachine, but unfortunately we're looking to hire someone else as he can't do that and play guitar at the same time.

All jokes aside, my drummers fog machine has a foot switch, so during practices for the hell of it I'd set up the pedal to the fog machine with my pedalboard and I'd go from my f*cking wah or something to the fog machine footswitch
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
I think you're missing the point of my post.

PUNK.
MUSICIANS.
DO
NOT.
NEED.
TO.
ASK.
FOR.
HELP.
NOW.
IF.
YOU.
WILL.
EXCUSE.
ME.
I.
AM.
OFF.
TO.
LISTEN.
TO.
SOME.
IGGY.
AND.
THE.
STOOGES.
DO.
WE.
SEE.
EYE.
TO.
EYE.
NOW
?

lulz

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Quote by vanhailin

Also, is it like pop punk, or legit punk (Black Flag, Sex Pistols, Agent Orange, Circle Jerks, or dead Kennedys styled stuff)

A little bit of both. The sound is mostly real punk. I feel like there's some elements of 90s pop punk in our stuff too though.
My band has a seven song set with two covers so I guess thats probably a good amount. As for places to play I'm very lucky because there's a very good hardcore and indie scene where I live. I'd say just email any clubs and venues that have had bands similar to yours play before.

Edit: If you don't have any recordings yet make some soon they will help you get gigs. You don't need any album quality stuff though so don't worry about paying for a recording studio, just use GarageBand or something.
Last edited by fuzzpedal at Mar 1, 2012,
Start by stopping because punk is awful.
Quote by caeser1156
Your dick could still have a chick even if that chick had a dick
You could read these:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2252943_create-punk-jacket.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_4424550_become-punk.html
http://www.howtobepunk.com/
http://lifestyle.iloveindia.com/lounge/how-to-be-punk-3660.html

And do this:

Or else you're not doing it right.

Ok, I'll give you some real advice. Don't play covers at all. That's dumb. I never understood why people did it. If you know anybody at all who is in a local scene of any kind and getting shows get in contact with them. Ask them about where they play shows, who the play shows with, and promoters. Contact promoters and ask about opportunities to play. You probably won't be able to sustain a living off this band, even if it somewhat blows up, but who knows? Just get your foot in the door and start playing shows. Most importantly get in contact with other bands and promoters. Trust me, it will take off from there.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Quote by StreetLight3989
You could read these:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2252943_create-punk-jacket.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_4424550_become-punk.html
http://www.howtobepunk.com/
http://lifestyle.iloveindia.com/lounge/how-to-be-punk-3660.html

And do this:

Or else you're not doing it right.

Ok, I'll give you some real advice. Don't play covers at all. That's dumb. I never understood why people did it. If you know anybody at all who is in a local scene of any kind and getting shows get in contact with them. Ask them about where they play shows, who the play shows with, and promoters. Contact promoters and ask about opportunities to play. You probably won't be able to sustain a living off this band, even if it somewhat blows up, but who knows? Just get your foot in the door and start playing shows. Most importantly get in contact with other bands and promoters. Trust me, it will take off from there.

Maybe because people and fans like songs they recognize?

I don't know... Maybe.

/sarcasm
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Maybe because people and fans like songs they recognize?

I don't know... Maybe.

/sarcasm

I'm cool with one cover every couple of sets or so, but when it's more than one, what's the point? If I'm in a band I want to come out with original material, and if I'm a listener I want to hear original material, not rehashes of already written songs. Unless you do something completely different with the song or just play one cover every set at most, I don't see any appeal in covers. The point of being in a band to me is to create new music. There's no greater feeling than people genuinely digging your original music. Sorry if I came off as an asshole, but that's my view.

Oh, and good luck trying to make it big as a cover band. You'll make more money at first, but you'll never get to a point that you'll make a living with it.
Last edited by StreetLight3989 at Mar 1, 2012,
Quote by StreetLight3989
I'm cool with one cover every couple of sets or so, but when it's more than one, what's the point? If I'm in a band I want to come out with original material, and if I'm a listener I want to hear original material, not rehashes of already written songs. Unless you do something completely different with the song or just play one cover every set at most, I don't see any appeal in covers. The point of being in a band to me is to create new music. There's no greater feeling than people genuinely digging your original music. Sorry if I came off as an asshole, but that's my view.

Oh, and good luck trying to make it big as a cover band. You'll make more money at first, but you'll never get to a point that you'll make a living with it.

Speak for yourself. Personally, I'm not there to look for the 'next big thing' I want to have fun at a show. You're an entertainer, you're supposed to entertain. Not stroke your ego. People want to have fun at a show too. Covers are fun, and you can justify them.

I also like how you assume that I play in a cover band, or a band at all for the matter. Frankly, it's a moot point because I was never trying to argue that cover bands make more money NOR was I arguing that you should just play covers so I don't understand your point here.

What you said is that you don't see the appeal of a cover or the point. So I gave you a reason.

So then what's your opinion of big bands that do covers? There's a lot of them and they actually have enough original songs to play a whoooooole damn set of their own songs yet for some reason, Metallica can't go one show without covering Thin Lizzy and Bob Seger. Hell, they'll cover other shit too.

EDIT: Also, making a living off music? I'm stupid, but I'm not THAT stupid. I'm too old to be dreaming blindly.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Mar 1, 2012,
Quote by trap111
Hey guys.
Me and my friends recently started a band. We're pretty good, and I have some great songs written (I know, everyone thinks their songs rock, but mine do for real!). We're all 17 and we live in St. Louis.
How do we get started? Weve only played at a few high school events. People love us though, which is good considering the state of pop music now. is step one to record some songs? Or play some real shows? I just don't know where to start. Also, what percent of the songs we play can be covers? We have great songs but covers are always nice.
Will our band be sustainable to live off of? We're all smart guys, not dropping out school or anything, and all going to college. But if we rock hard enough you never know.
Thanks for the help

What the hell is that supposed to mean?
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
Quote by Julz127
What the hell is that supposed to mean?

He's implying that pop music isn't up to par with his standards.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Speak for yourself. Personally, I'm not there to look for the 'next big thing' I want to have fun at a show. You're an entertainer, you're supposed to entertain. Not stroke your ego. People want to have fun at a show too. Covers are fun, and you can justify them.

I also like how you assume that I play in a cover band, or a band at all for the matter. Frankly, it's a moot point because I was never trying to argue that cover bands make more money NOR was I arguing that you should just play covers so I don't understand your point here.

What you said is that you don't see the appeal of a cover or the point. So I gave you a reason.

So then what's your opinion of big bands that do covers? There's a lot of them and they actually have enough original songs to play a whoooooole damn set of their own songs yet for some reason, Metallica can't go one show without covering Thin Lizzy and Bob Seger. Hell, they'll cover other shit too.

EDIT: Also, making a living off music? I'm stupid, but I'm not THAT stupid.

When I played in a band, I didn't think about myself as an entertainer. Sure, our side purpose was to entertain, but we wrote these songs for ourselves because we enjoyed making them. If people enjoyed it enough to see at as entertainment, that's a bonus. I'm willing to bet most bands and musicians function that way.

And where did I assume you were part of a cover band? I was just giving my views on covering songs and cover bands in general. My opinion on big bands who do covers depends on the artist, how they're covering a song, and in what situations. I have plenty of respect for some bands that play covers (Metallica isn't one of them).

And TS asked about what are his possibilities of making a living off music. I said they're not great, and especially worse as a cover artist, but it can be done.

This is my last response to you though, we're derailing the thread.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
He's implying that pop music isn't up to par with his standards.

His standards? he plays pop-punk?

And he says "We're all smart guys, we're going to college."

return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
Quote by StreetLight3989
When I played in a band, I didn't think about myself as an entertainer. Sure, our side purpose was to entertain, but we wrote these songs for ourselves because we enjoyed making them. If people enjoyed it enough to see at as entertainment, that's a bonus. I'm willing to bet most bands and musicians function that way.

And I didn't say anything about you, I was just giving my views on covering songs and cover bands in general. My opinion on big bands who do covers depends on the artist, how they're covering a song, and in what situations. I have plenty of respect for some bands that play covers (Metallica isn't one of them).

And TS asked about what are his possibilities of making a living off music. I said they're not great, and especially worse as a cover artist, but it can be done.

This is my last response to you though, we're derailing the thread.

Fair enough. It seems like were arguing the same point anyway
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by StreetLight3989

So you're saying you expect to just magically gain a following by playing your original material? Dude at first covers are essential. My whole philosophy is to start out with a set that consists of primarily covers and a couple originals, and as you gain a following, slowly gravitate towards a set with mostly originals and a few covers.

My point is, this day in age nobody wants to go to a bar to hear someones original tunes. If you want to get anywhere in a band you should start out playing stuff people know so they pay attention to you. Then hit them with your original stuff. I do agree that covers should never be clones though. I always make a cover tune my own in a way to keep it interesting for the players and the listeners.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Last edited by shredibanez24 at Mar 1, 2012,
You're not in a punk band.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by trap111
Me and my friends recently started a band. We're pretty good
Aren't they all.
ggg1 ggg3

Your songs can't be good, you're playing punk. Sorry TS.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by shredibanez24
So you're saying you expect to just magically gain a following by playing your original material? Dude at first covers are essential. My whole philosophy is to start out with a set that consists of primarily covers and a couple originals, and as you gain a following, slowly gravitate towards a set with mostly originals and a few covers.

My point is, this day in age nobody wants to go to a bar to hear someones original tunes. If you want to get anywhere in a band you should start out playing stuff people know so they pay attention to you. Then hit them with your original stuff. I do agree that covers should never be clones though. I always make a cover tune my own in a way to keep it interesting for the players and the listeners.

My old band gained a following without playing any covers, and we did pretty damn well for a local band of 17 year olds. We recorded our originals, put them on the internet, found promoters, talked to other bands, and it worked. We ended up playing a ton of show and getting a lot of local hype. Most bands I know from my area started that way also, it did help that we had a scene to integrate ourselves in. There's really no need to start with covers imo.

Quote by element4433
You're not in a punk band.

And I'm telling everyone.

Btw Collin, check out my post in the punk thread. You could probably help me out and I will repay you in sexual favors.
Start in a time machine set for 1981.

You, good sir, have not gone over to your friends house after a hard night of drinking to find 2 dudes passed out in the same room both holding their own flaccid cocks in hand, passed out, with porn on the tv.
Page 1 of 2