Hello UG, have used your tabs for years so I'm no newbie but I'll never consider myself amazing.

I played for 3 years, stopped for 2 because of work as well as no improvement, and then came back to it about 2 - 3 weeks ago. Decided to really look at how I practice. I noticed that I used my arm a bit to much and almost no wrist. Changed it accordingly as well as how I held my pick. Finally after so many times, I had gotten pinch harmonics . Today, I changed how I held my pick yet again, this time closer to the tip. Now I notice that my sounds are much more fluid, my picking is faster, and pinch harmonics have become even easier.

Here comes the question:
Is this normal for other guitarists? Had I built the actual endurance and speed before but was just causing a hindrance?
Seems I progressed a bit too much for my tastes but it is what it is.
Not sure what your asking but I've had spurts of progress after a long hyades from playing too.
Quote by Nason
Not sure what your asking but I've had spurts of progress after a long hyades from playing too.

Its more or less like I had a huge spurt of progress because I drastically changed how I was playing. That's what I wonder.
Yeah I had the same thing. I'd practice, not get much better, take a break, come back and be better. It's not the long break that did it though. I inspect my technique a lot and that does the trick.

@Nason: It's spelled Hiatus, just so you know. Not trying to insult you but that was horribly wrong, hehe.
Quote by scorpio7292
I played for 3 years, stopped for 2 because of work as well as no improvement

Sorry bro, but that's a shitty attitude.

If you noticed no improvements before it's only going to get harder. You improve the most in your earlier days of guitar. The longer you play the smaller the steps are gonna be.
It's like climbing a mountain that just keeps getting steeper. It's not gonna get easier.

Negativity aside though, it's good to see you're enjoying it now though, just don't get discouraged when things get difficult again. If i quit every time i got discouraged i'd quit like every week.
Last edited by vayne92 at Mar 2, 2012,
Quote by vayne92
Sorry bro, but that's a shitty attitude.

If you noticed no improvements before it's only going to get harder. You improve the most in your earlier days of guitar. The longer you play the smaller the steps are gonna be.
It's like climbing a mountain that just keeps getting steeper. It's not gonna get easier.

Negativity aside though, it's good to see you're enjoying it now though, just don't get discouraged when things get difficult again. If i quit every time i got discouraged i'd quit like every week.

I don't get discouraged as easily. I love music and being able to play to it and create my own just adds more effect. I hadn't seen improvement in like a year so it threw me off. I won't say now its necessarily different now but there's still noticing my past mistakes and correcting them have really geared me towards really paying attention to how I play.