If I was to pick up recorder now, how long would it take to play to a proficient level and learn most of the extended techniques on it?
Last edited by GoldenGuitar at Mar 1, 2012,
Why would picking it up now be any different than any other time.... but i digress, the answer is around 10,000 hours.
10,000 hours to MASTER something. I think you'd be semi proficient by at least 500
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by King Of Suede
10,000 hours to MASTER something. I think you'd be semi proficient by at least 500

Right he wants to be proficient in playing , thats about 10,000 hours. 500 hrs is maybe 10 months (and thats with a lax practice schedule) ive not yet met a person that was even semi proficient after 10 months on any instrument. Sure they could play some stuff, y'know parrot it, but thats not proficiency.
Quote by z4twenny
Right he wants to be proficient in playing , thats about 10,000 hours. 500 hrs is maybe 10 months (and thats with a lax practice schedule) ive not yet met a person that was even semi proficient after 10 months on any instrument. Sure they could play some stuff, y'know parrot it, but thats not proficiency.

lol. the 10,000 thing is related to people at virtuoso levels of performance. Proficiency...is a whole different story.
Quote by chronowarp
lol. the 10,000 thing is related to people at virtuoso levels of performance. Proficiency...is a whole different story.

You are right but I'd say 5000 hours would make anyone "proficient" enough and 500 like another poster said is just not enough.
Last edited by SuperWeirdoUG at Mar 2, 2012,
10,000 is virtuosity. That's essentially 3 hours of strict practice a day for 10 years.

You can get decent proficiency in something after around 500-1000 hours if you have prior musical experience. It's going to take much more if you don't already have that experience.

I would estimate that it took my school's concert band about 1500-2000 hours of practice over the span of 8 years to get to the level we got to, and I would say we were damn good.
Quote by Life Is Brutal
10,000 is virtuosity. That's essentially 3 hours of strict practice a day for 10 years.

You can get decent proficiency in something after around 500-1000 hours if you have prior musical experience. It's going to take much more if you don't already have that experience.

I would estimate that it took my school's concert band about 1500-2000 hours of practice over the span of 8 years to get to the level we got to, and I would say we were damn good.

i'd bite for somewhere between 2000 - 5000 hrs i guess. Id say it takes a couple years to get comfortable with your instrument and a couple more to approach the point of dissecting your technique. This is assuming no prior musical knowledge or instrument instruction. Lessons from an instructor can definitely shorten the time frame though.

And i wouldnt necessarily say 10000 hours is really even virtuosity. I say this because i know i've put in more hours than that and im quite sure i'm not one. Maybe i'm a tard?