Hey UG,

I'm pretty clueless with recording gear but here it goes. I'm moving into a new apartment next week and I won't be able to take my amp with me. I want to be able to record my bass, electric guitar and electric drums to my pc. The drums require a MIDI connection which I can handle, but to record my guitar and bass into my pc I understand I'll need some kind of modular interface, this is where my knowledge of recording gear stops :P

If anyone has any experience with home recording and can help me out it would be great

EDIT: If this is posted in the wrong section let me know
You can pick up a cheap audio interface like an M-Audio FastTrack USB to get you started and use a DSP setup (Zoom G3, Pod HD, etc) + monitors/headphones to keep volume down. There is also a lot of VST-based amp sims out there (Lepou, Revalver, Guitar Rig just to name a few).
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by cdr_salamander
You can pick up a cheap audio interface like an M-Audio FastTrack USB to get you started and use a DSP setup (Zoom G3, Pod HD, etc) + monitors/headphones to keep volume down. There is also a lot of VST-based amp sims out there (Lepou, Revalver, Guitar Rig just to name a few).

Thanks mate ill check them out
Quote by hardcore81
i got a lexicon alpha interface for $99 from sweetwater, it came with cubase. it can DI 1/4 cables as well as xlr, i think it's great for home recording

thanks
there is other forums, sometimes these get moved.

you can go to any site like sweetwater or musician's friend and search for USB recording interface and get about a billion hits. these devices consist of some preamps, an analog to digital converter and whatever busses the info to the computer. these are effectively external sound cards.

technically you do not need a external USB interface if you have a 1/8" balanced jack. technically you can use an 1/8" balanced patch cord (like those used with ipods) and use a 1/8" TRS to 1/4" TS converter and just use your native sound card. i do this on occassion when i am on the road and don't feel like bringing the extra stuff.

many people look down on using the native soundcard, i find it to be acceptable quality and very convenient. i will not lie, almost any good external recording device will sound better than the native sound card. but budget-wise, using the native soundcard is very nice.

edit: i wasn't a big fan of the lexicon series, they sounded fairly bad. i personally use presonus products, but there are many other better products for a bit more cash than the lexicon.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Mar 2, 2012,
Do you have a max you'd like to spend?

Do you want to mic your amp or use amp modelling software?

Do you need mics?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"