So i bought a Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster today, basically the same one seen here;
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-blacktop-jazzmaster-hs-electric-guitar

I know that most people usually replace the bridge because it kinda sucks,

but wanting to know what else i could do to change up/improve this little guitar. I was planning to possibly change out the pickups as well. It has a humbucker in the bridge and a p-90. looking for some considerably hot pickups. I play a lot of low tuned metal, generally sludge-y stuff.

I know this is pretty generic, but just throw some ideas my way.
You might want to check into locking tuners. I have them on my strat and they're beyond worth it. I literally never have to tune, and the only times I do are when there are drastic temperature changes. With the whammy bar too, it's nice to have the locking tuners.
Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Strat
Laguna LG300CE Acoustic Electric
there is a way to string your guitar so that it lock without $80 tuners, just wrap it so it goes over the hole once then the rest underneath and then the string tension holds the string in place.
thats how i string mine, but yeah, im more trying to figure out what would be a good replacement p-90 pickup, something a little hotter, and a good humbucker for it. I might get some nice new fender tuners for it as well. not necessarily locking ones tho. Im definitely gonna get a new bridge, and a new pickguard.
Pet Peeve: Jazzmasters don't have p-90s. They have Jazzmaster pickups.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
Pet Peeve: Jazzmasters don't have p-90s. They have Jazzmaster pickups.

The blacktop jazz is a modded jazzmaster with a humbucker in the bridge and a standard p90 in the neck.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Quote by gucio93
The blacktop jazz is a modded jazzmaster with a humbucker in the bridge and a standard p90 in the neck.

Not stock it isn't.

Fender makes, has made, and will probably ever make, exactly zero Jazzmasters with P-90s.

The soapbar pickups in the Blacktop Jazzmaster are still Jazzmaster pickups, which, construction-wise, are more similar to Stratocaster single coils then anything else.

Source: http://www.fender.com/products/blacktop/models.php?prodNo=014840 (Can't link to the specs page because the Fender site uses Flash (or a similar application).
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
Not stock it isn't.

Fender makes, has made, and will probably ever make, exactly zero Jazzmasters with P-90s.

The soapbar pickups in the Blacktop Jazzmaster are still Jazzmaster pickups, which, construction-wise, are more similar to Stratocaster single coils then anything else.

Source: http://www.fender.com/products/blacktop/models.php?prodNo=014840 (Can't link to the specs page because the Fender site uses Flash (or a similar application).

P-90s are a Gibson designed pickup that have become kind of a generic term. the Fender Jazzmaster pickup is a Fender design that looks similar but isn't really the same as already mentioned. there are replacement pups for them but make sure that they will fit in your guitar as i'm not sure that size wise they are the same as actual jazzmaster pups.
For the humbucker, you've got a thousand options. A "hot" pickup for "low tuned metal" isn't terribly descriptive considering that is what pretty much half of all aftermarket pickups are designed for. Considering the construction of the guitar, I'd suggest you go for something extra thick; a DiMarzio Tone Zone brings a lot of power and low-end to bolt-on, vibrato-equipped guitars.

For the neck, you do have a little bit of a problem. Even if you got a new pickguard cut for a different kind of pickup, the route for the Jazzmaster pickup is going to be too shallow for most designs; it can be hard to fit a humbucker in there without it having to sit really high, too close to the strings. You could get it re-routed, but that could wind up being a little expensive. So, I suggest you go pick up a Creamery Wide Range Humbucker in Jazzmaster case, HERE. It's hum-cancelling and has more output than the stock pickup, but it'll still sound very clear since the Wide Range design doesn't use bar magnet; smoother than a single coil, clearer than a normal humbucker, Wide Range pickups are pretty much the best neck pickups for almost any kind of music. Interestingly, the new James Hetfield EMGs use a design and voicing very similar to Wide Range pickups (but active and boosted to buggery, obviously).
Or, since you mentioned P-90s originally, he also makes those in a Jazzmaster case too.

In fact, since I'm already basically sucking the guy off, I might as well mention you can also get custom double blade humbuckers from him too; it costs a bit, but being able to dictate the pickup spec is pretty nice.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
yeah, after a tiny bit of research, the jazzmaster has "jazzmaster single coil pickups". not p-90s. Im gonna be taking it to my tech here in the next week or so and seeing what he thinks about it.

As for the humbucker, ill check out the tone zone, i was thinking maybe a dimarzio super distortion. i have one of those in my SG and it sounds great.

Ill check out some of the other mentioned pickups for the neck. Im trying to find something that will fit, and match up to the sound i want.
i checked out that wide range humbucker from the creamery in place of the jazzmaster pickup and that sounds like exactly what i need.
Quote by letsgetcokes

As for the humbucker, ill check out the tone zone, i was thinking maybe a dimarzio super distortion. i have one of those in my SG and it sounds great.
Then get the Tone Zone. The Tone Zone is basically a warmer version of the Super Distortion; an SG is 24.75" scale, made of mahogany, has a set neck and a fixed bridge. Your Jazzmaster is the opposite of all that; it's a naturally brighter and harsher-sounding guitar. Using the Tone Zone instead will balance that out and give you roughly the same tone as the Super Distortion does in an SG. Of course if you want your Jazzmaster to have a slightly brighter tone, use the Super Distortion. They're both great pickups.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.