I am writing a song atm and for the verses and intro I am using bar chords, but I want to mix it up and add some soft lullaby sounding chords, because thats the vibe/mood I want the song to have.

Any help would be great guys!
It's all about the progression. One that always puts my girlfriend to sleep (yeah yeah) is I vi iii, I vi iii, I IV iii, I IV iii.

Or in the key I specifically play it in, C to Am to Em 2x, then C to F to Em twice.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
maj7 chords can sound pretty

Its not really about the notes you are playing, its how you play them that will create a gentle lullaby sound.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Mar 2, 2012,
The maj7 chord and the aug chords.

The maj7's a real pretty and soothing...and aug chords are dreamy...

A couple of Cmaj7's
E---7----12--
B---8----12--
G---9----12--
D--10----10--
A------------
E------------

aug chords moved in M3's, this is the chord sequence used in some movies as the character falls asleep and goes off into a dream...

E-----------------
B--3---7--11--15--
G--3---7--11--15--
D--4---8--12--16--
A-----------------
E-----------------

You can even move the aug chords in whole steps if you want, its a little more stressful though...

E---------------------------
B--3--5--7--9---11--13--15--
G--3--5--7--9---11--13--15--
D--4--6--8--10--12--14--16--
A---------------------------
E---------------------------
Last edited by MikeDodge at Mar 2, 2012,
straight major chords, man. Throw in some 7th chords. Simple stuff
Gear:
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Fender Fat Strat (MIM)
Fender Classic Player's 60's Strat
Archer SS-90
Alvarez PD90S Acoustic
Quote by Distorter
I am writing a song atm and for the verses and intro I am using bar chords, but I want to mix it up and add some soft lullaby sounding chords, because thats the vibe/mood I want the song to have.

Any help would be great guys!

Brahms
Thanks for the help guys! Some interesting sounding chords. For the intro & verse chords I was playing arpeggiated bar chords: Dm, A, G, F#, F then for a change I went to playing the E major chord shape around the first three or so frets. It felt like to dark of a change for what I was going for, so im gonna try some of the ones you guys suggested
majors are really good to blend music maybe you can try so mix some chords or broken chords like adding minors. I love to hear some kind chords of Am/F and Fm/G and F/G or Em/E#.
Last edited by michmar389 at Mar 6, 2012,