Right im at abit of a dilema. I play in a band and for gigging and rehersals i use a jetcity jca100 only problem is i dont really like the dirty channel on the amp. It seems to be muddy and feels quite compressed to me. Also i feel it just hasnt got the clarity on the single notes or the warmth im after.

It still has standard tubes in which are cheap chineese tubes if im not mistaken.

So the question is if i upgrade to a nice set of tubes will it be better than a change of amp?

I play with kinda a medium gain sound with a gritty clean. So i was thinking about getting a orange rocker 30 from ebay or something along the same vein.
Try some new tubes (but save your old ones). If the new ones don't fix the problem, pop the old ones back in and sell the amp.

Buy the orange amp. Now you have a new amp and a set of backup tubes (which you should always have).
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Ok that sounds logical. What kinda tubes should i be looking at to make a noticably difference in the sound then? i want some decent tubes. Also will i have to change both pre and power tubes to make best impact?

The amp uses 6l6's (4) and 12ax7's (5)
Last edited by billabob at Mar 2, 2012,
I think changing the pre amp tubes would be a good place to start, that way you don't have to mess with the bias. I don't really have experience with your amp at all, but I really like ruby or tung sol 12ax7's.

That is just my preference though. You might want to check out the jet city forums (I am assuming those exist) and see what other people are having good luck with.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Last edited by shikkaka at Mar 2, 2012,
I hear JJs tame the muddiness of Jet City's over drive circuit quite well, and improve the clarity. I also run an MXR 10 band EQ in the effects loop of my JCA50, gives you a bit more control over the tone.
Ok kool cheers for the suggestions. Only question i got is will the tubes make that much difference? cause i could sell my amp and use the extra money for tubes and add abit more and get another used amp with a max budget of £700. Would that be a better route to go down?
I've heard that changing the tubes make a huge difference, mostly because of how crappy the stock tubes are. Although I've always found power amp distortion to be warmer and less compressed than preamp distortion, so if you're looking for a warmer sound all around it might be worth it to just sell it and get something with a lower wattage, 100watts is just overkill imo.
Quote by rob904
I hear JJs tame the muddiness of Jet City's over drive circuit quite well, and improve the clarity. I also run an MXR 10 band EQ in the effects loop of my JCA50, gives you a bit more control over the tone.

I would do this first.

The tubes and the EQ can carry over to your next rig. I'm not a big fan of the Jet Cities but I think it deserves a bit of tweaking as mentioned. A Bad Monkey as a boost might help too.
Just thats wat i was thinking cause i like the girty cleans and powertube sag of lower wattage amps witch is wat drew me to the rocker 30.
Quote by billabob
Just thats wat i was thinking cause i like the girty cleans and powertube sag of lower wattage amps witch is wat drew me to the rocker 30.

If you like sag (like I do) then find out if you can run your JCA100 at half power (pull the outer 2 tubes usually*) -or- get a different amp. I love the Rocker 30.
Try running a boost/EQ like 311 said.

What types of speakers are you running it through?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Hey, I just want to say a few things.
1) The Rocker 30 is a great amp but it's discontinued so you won't get any warranty.
2) There is also no effects loop which is a big bugger and I would get the Thunder 30 for just those reasons. The thunder 30 is really just a rocker 30 with more gain on tap, if you turn the gain down and mess around with the shape knob for 1 minute you can get an extremely similar sound.
3) Since both of the orange amps run on EL84 power tube they have VERY quick breakup. Whilst this breakup sounds awesome and gives great cranked British sounds it may not be enough headroom to play clean in big gigs.
Right ill answer eveyrone now. I Dont really wanna mess about pulling tubes out and all that. i do already run a boost (fulltone OCD) and still doesnt get the tone i want.

Soo i think ill just get a smaller tube amp. Anyone got any suggestions? 30/50 watt amps i would find second hand for a max of £700

Location is high wycombe (near london) england.

Theres the rocker 30 which i much prefer over the thunder 30. Im not too bothered about an effects look as the only modulation effect i will be running is delay. Dont need to worry about clean head room at all as ive never played a gig where i havent been miced yet and i love gritty cleans.

Also i will be running it through an orange 2x12 ob. with stock vintage 30's.
Last edited by billabob at Mar 2, 2012,
Quote by billabob
Right ill answer eveyrone now. I Dont really wanna mess about pulling tubes out and all that. i do already run a boost (fulltone OCD) and still doesnt get the tone i want.

Soo i think ill just get a smaller tube amp. Anyone got any suggestions? 30/50 watt amps i would find second hand for a max of £700

Location is high wycombe (near london) england.

Theres the rocker 30 which i much prefer over the thunder 30. Im not too bothered about an effects look as the only modulation effect i will be running is delay. Dont need to worry about clean head room at all as ive never played a gig where i havent been miced yet and i love gritty cleans.

Also i will be running it through an orange 2x12 ob. with stock vintage 30's.

That's awesome then. The rocker 30 is a great amp. But one thing... Delay is meant to go in the FX loop. It just sounds better like that.
Last edited by TheDuckMajor at Mar 2, 2012,
If it makes that much different i might have to look into one with an effects loop then. Our other guitarist uses one through the front of the amp and i thought it sounded alright. But if it does sound alot better through a loop ill gte one with a loop
Quote by billabob

Swapping preamp tubes is a breeze. Get use to it because in addition to tone improvements it is sometimes a necessary way to trouble shoot issues. That, and tubes don't last forever - they need to be replaced at some point. If you gig, then having spares is also important.

The Fulltone is cool but I don't have a lot of experience with it. Can it be run pretty clean (ie as a boost to tighten up the lower end - the mud.)

What TheDuck said is pretty solid too. I would personally have not issue in buying a used amp. There are tons of good amps out there (ie used Rockerverb/Thunderverb). I have never played the Thunder 30. Also, I've ran my delay in front of the amp many times and it works (it doesn't have to be in a loop) but that is more a preference thing.