This is going to be a bit of a read, and its a 3 part post, so please bear with me.

So, I've been bouncing around with my Les Paul in E standard for around 2-3 months now (3 string changes in that time, all 9-42) and about a week ago decided I wanted to riff around in drop C for some time, since drop c and the looser tension was somewhat easier to adapt my injured finger too.

So, I restrung it with 12-56, made the proper bridge adjustments/minor truss adjustment, and it plays fine, juts like it has every time I've done this change before.

However, a riff came to my head last night, and I now want my Les Paul back in E Standard.

Ok, so I haven't been playing on it much, and the strings still have their brand new "snap" to them, so my question is...

Can I take the strings off, and wrap them up and store them in my case for use later, without huge amount of tonal loss from the strings?

I just feel somewhat wasteful after stringing it only to take them off and put on a whole new set.

Ok, second question. I had been leaving the humbucker covers off until the most recent re-stringing. I put them back on, and the guitar devoloped this somewhat "crackling" tone to it, almost like the tone knob were set to ten, whereas I keep it at 0 for drop C/ distortion. The humbuckers are super 70's (Ibanez) and the pickup covers (as far as I can tell) are the kind that just slip on over the pickup. When I took them off for the first time, I had to break a solder on each on, just on the base of the pickup, and I figured that it wouldn't need to be repaired for any purpose.

So, question is: Can adding pickup covers result in a change in tone?

I normally would say "absolutely not" but in this case it seems to me that it definately has. Its quite irritating, and it could be just the fact that the strings have not lost that initial snap, but it sounds different than that.

Alrighty, third question. My volume on my bridge pickup recently dropped to ~60%, and I fiddled with the knob, nothing happened to increase the level. I switched pickups, and then went back to the bridge pup, and it was back to 100% volume. I opened up the control cavities and checked the solders on both the volume, tone and pickup selector, and they all seemed fine...Any idea's as to what that could have been?

Sorry for the wall of questions, but you guys are by far the most helpful.

Thanks in advance!
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
You should use the top heavy strings by ernie ball because you could have avoided the adjustments. I have wrapped up strings and saved them before should be fine. You really need a second guitar. Some people say that the removal of the covers brighten tone. From what I have heard the difference is barely noticable.
Q - 1. Yes you can, as long as you dont put any kinks in them you can store them away and reuse them when you are ready, I have done this many times and infact I all ways keep an old set around just in case I break a string and can't get to the shop to buy more.

Q - 2. Removing the pickup covers can affect your tone, a lot of people report that by removing the pickup covers their pups were brighter or had more high end to them.

Q - 3. I am not too sure what is wrong here but it sounds like you might need a new pickup selector.
thanks guys.
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.