Hello everyone . I've decided I'd like to move up from using solid state amps to a tube amp, and I'm rather unsure what to get. I'm looking for something under/about $1000 new, and I'll probably be buying it used (so probably something around $700 tops give or take if I buy it used). A 2x12 speaker would be great, and I'd like the volume to be loud enough I can take it to small/medium sized gigs, but not be required to blast it at home. I've had a few amps recommended to me like a Jet City 100, Egnator Renegade, and Marshall DSL 401. Here are some of my favorite artists :

-Jimi Hendrix
-Black Sabbath
-Megadeth
-Iron Maiden
-Judas Priest
-Led Zeppelin
-Mastodon
-Slayer

Anyone have any recommendations?
Last edited by Thermon at Mar 2, 2012,
Quote by Ippon
The Peavey JSX is such huge bargain now. Match it with a killer 212 and it'll cover a lot of ground.

+1

The JSX is a great amp, and you can get them REALLY cheap.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
+1

The JSX is a great amp, and you can get them REALLY cheap.

Sweet, I'll keep an eye out for one!

I've also heard some Mesa Boogie stuff I thought sounded pretty darn good, and I checked out some Blackstar amps and were really impressed by the HT-60 and HT-100. I'd imagine the 60 is probably closer to what I'd want though, volume wise?
I'm a huge Jet City fanboy, but I could see something from them working out well for you. Possibly the 100 head, or the JCA22h head and a 2x12 cab? Like already said, the Peavey JSX would be fantastic if you can find one. Another good option could be a Peavey Classic 50 head, but they are somewhat difficult to find (And you might want a pedal or two to cover all the sounds you listed).
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Sure, the JSX do sound sweet! I'm hoping to play whatever amp I get in person before I buy it so I'll definitely keep an eye out for one.
The renegade is also a fantastic amp, but you'd be hard pressed to find one as cheap as the JSX. The upside is that they're still in production, so you can go to guitar center and try one out.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
I do worry the JSX would be too loud though... 120 watts is quite a lot for home use.
The JSX comes in a 2x12 combo as well, and that one has a half power switch for 60 watts if you're worried about home use. Just a suggestion. I'm a big fan of Blackstar too.
Hmm I didn't know it had the switch, but that would be alright then. Thanks The one I was looking at was the combo which I thought it said was 120 but making it half would be fine, I think.

I was rather impressed with both the JSX and Blackstar from what I saw on the Internet.