If you watch performances like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVCOKbYKQm8&feature=related

You'll see him alternating between alternate speed picking, two hand tapping, and back, quite a lot.

Where the hell does he HOLD HIS PICK when tapping though!?!?

I thought it was between his thumb and the knuckle of his index, but his thumb is clearly stretched out and open, above the neck pickup when he does his two hand tapping!
Looking at that video, I'm guessing that he's actually placing the pick on the place where the neck sticks out a bit from the body, and keeping it on there with his thumb as he taps. He makes quite a large movement when gathering the pick again, he looked close to dropping it after one of the runs, if it is indeed what he's doing, it's bloody clever and will require a lot of practice.
I don't think he's doing that^. If you look at the video I posted, check @ 13:40, and you'll see him moving his thumb AWAY from the neck and stuff. So he couldn't have been holding a pick down against the neck with it.

And @ 14:33, his thumb isn't even seen anywhere near the neck joint!

DAMN YOU BUCKETHEAD!! WHY MUST YOU BE SO BOSS?!?!?
Ah, I hate Buckethead with a passion, so I sort of skipped along at random and came across a tapping section at one point, so I wasn't certain.
Quote by CelestialGuitar
Ah, I hate Buckethead with a passion, so I sort of skipped along at random and came across a tapping section at one point, so I wasn't certain.

ಠ~ಠ