Here's the situation I'm in. I am interested in learning how to play the piano, but not hardcore-ly interested, like I don't think I'll get a teacher and such. I also record my own full songs and think that some piano would be a cool addition or even some synthesizer or something.

Honestly though, I don't even know the differences between a keyboard, synthesizer, and MIDI Controller.

What should I get/do? My budget is around $200
MIDI Controller can be many different things but lets not get into that right now.

Midi Keyboard. You can't get a really synthesizer that cheap. If your looking to learn on piano you need at least semi-weighted keys.

M-AudioKeystation61es is a nice little $170 investment, that has semi-weighted keys. It doesn't have bells an whistles of a lot of MIDI keyboards (that you don't need if you are just learning piano). It is my go to keyboard of the 3 I have, and has been abused live and stood the test of me slamming on keys hard live. This is also the cheapest board I have. I love it.

The downside is 61 keys is not a full keyboard. 88 is. If you are learning piano it maybe good to have an 88. Although most 61 key keyboards (including the one above) have buttons to shift all the keys up or down an octave.

M-Audio also makes a M-Audio Keystastion88es as well. Its the exact same thing as above only with 88 keys. It is also about as cheap you can get an 88 key keyboard for. $220.

You can get both these cheaper if you buy used of course. These are great budget keyboards. Heck even Trent Reznor sold a keystations61es when he stopped touring NiN, so they have some creditably. I think they have the perfect sensitivity as well.

For learning piano I recommened an 88 even though you technically don't need it unless playing classical piano.
Quote by FireHawk
MIDI Controller can be many different things but lets not get into that right now.

Midi Keyboard. You can't get a really synthesizer that cheap. If your looking to learn on piano you need at least semi-weighted keys.

M-AudioKeystation61es is a nice little $170 investment, that has semi-weighted keys. It doesn't have bells an whistles of a lot of MIDI keyboards (that you don't need if you are just learning piano). It is my go to keyboard of the 3 I have, and has been abused live and stood the test of me slamming on keys hard live. This is also the cheapest board I have. I love it.

The downside is 61 keys is not a full keyboard. 88 is. If you are learning piano it maybe good to have an 88. Although most 61 key keyboards (including the one above) have buttons to shift all the keys up or down an octave.

M-Audio also makes a M-Audio Keystastion88es as well. Its the exact same thing as above only with 88 keys. It is also about as cheap you can get an 88 key keyboard for. $220.

You can get both these cheaper if you buy used of course. These are great budget keyboards. Heck even Trent Reznor sold a keystations61es when he stopped touring NiN, so they have some creditably. I think they have the perfect sensitivity as well.

For learning piano I recommened an 88 even though you technically don't need it unless playing classical piano.

Thanks for the great response, I need to have the M-Audio Keystation connected to a computer at all times though right? That might be kind of annoying. Why can't I connect it to an amp or something?

Edit: I just read a few reviews say the M-Audio Keystations are toxic... Apparently you have to wash your hands after every time you play. I don't want to be around something like that.

Edit Edit: I found the truth: http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.faq&ID=0d5da176eeec4eb9af1e8072df1fc267

So it's not really toxic. I think I might get one then. Do I basically need to buy a laptop if I get one then though? It's not like I can move my desktop but I'd like to move the keyboard sometimes.
Last edited by Tmusician at Mar 3, 2012,
True it does need to always be connected to a computer. I didn't think about that l. I don't have any experience with keyboards that have speakers in that price range. If sound doesn't matter you can get about anything real. But I still think to learn piano you need to have some semi weighted keys. If not when you go to play a real piano you will be like wtf this feels weird. I can look around and give suggestions later today.

And I have t died from led poising yet lol
I'm definitely going to +1 the M-Audio Keystation88, unless you could find a second-hand fully-weighted keyboard for that price (highly unlikely, unless it's absolutely rubbish).

And yeah this would mean it'd need to be attached to a desktop if you don't have a laptop, but where were you planning on taking this keyboard anyway?
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat,
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
Quote by This_Kidd
I'm definitely going to +1 the M-Audio Keystation88, unless you could find a second-hand fully-weighted keyboard for that price (highly unlikely, unless it's absolutely rubbish).

And yeah this would mean it'd need to be attached to a desktop if you don't have a laptop, but where were you planning on taking this keyboard anyway?

I was looking toward the future and thinking of making sure I keep the possibility of using it live available, but actually if I ever am playing live I would rather not be playing keyboard so it's actually not a big deal haha
Yeah I appreciate that dude, it's difficult to balance all the things you want to do on a budget. If you're sure you wouldn't mind not being able to use it live then I'd say go for the M-Audio, if not maybe you should wait a little longer and save more?

Having said that, if you got the M-Audio you could always get a laptop later on, that would open up a whole new world of possibilities when playing live!
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat,
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.