So I've had my 6505+ for a good 3 to 4 years now and I think it is time to change out the tubes or move on to something else.
I have always enjoyed this amp but as I am progressing the more I feel it is lacking the definition and clarity that every guitar player moves to. I play metal about 95% of the time and I am looking for that new age thrash sound not metallica but more sylosis trivium even style and after reading up on the 6534 I'm thinking of replacing the 6L6's with EL34's I've also looked at just getting replacement tubes and getting the gold option if anyone is familiar with the replacement upgrades on these. If anyone can help shed some light on my situation because I have come across the thought of replacing the amp head all together. ANY IDEAS?!
My Gear:
LTD EC-1000 (duncan jb/jazz)
Schecter SLS (EMGs)
ESP Horizon
6505 head
Marshall 1960lead cab
Boss noise gate
maxon od808
boss chorus
boss de-7
Dunlop strings and tortex 1.14s
yes - tube changes rock

i didn't think the 6505 could take EL34s (without a mod)

forget about the gold pin stuff imo

JJs as a brand rock all the way around for the most part

the amp could really use a bias mod tbh, so you can actually bias the amp
To switch from 6l6 tubes to EL34 requires a complete amp mod. You need to have a tech do that, and it's not cheap.

For the sound you want to get, the 6505 is fine. You just need to mess around with the EQ a bit. EL34s will give you a more "British" tone anyways. From what you describe, you want the more modern "American" style tone.

Edit: The guys in Trivium use 5150s anyways.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Last edited by stonyman65 at Mar 2, 2012,
Dude if you don't like the sound of your amp get a new amp. I doubt the 6534 is really just a rebiased 6505 with swapped tubes. IMHO, unless your very experienced as an amp tech or electrical engineer swapping tubes and rebiasing is not going to give you the edge you hear in your head. If you like the sound of the 6534, buy it.
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
+1 to 311 on the gold pin tubes. The tonal difference from standard JJs you may or may not hear isn't worth the extra cost. I tried em in my Mesa Stiletto, and while they were better than the stock Mesa tubes that were in it, they weren't any better than standard tubes.

IMO changing tubes will definitely give you a better tone, as long as you know what to look for. If you were willing to scour ebay for some used old stock tubes, you'd still spend less $$$ than buying a new amp. But even if you wanted to stick to new tubes, you'll still notice improvement with JJ tubes. You've had the amp for 3 or 4 years; have the tubes been changed in that time? If not, they're probably getting tired anyway, and are likely due a change.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
If you don't need the full range of gain you have available right now, sometimes switching to lower-gain preamp tubes can add clarity and definition. Just a thought.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Well maybe I shouldn't have mentioned trivium but sylosis is the closest I'm going for which is def more British than American but I still am looking for modern metal tone I'll have to check into the jj's I heard they are really good and biasing always sounded like a good idea just never knew how pricey that gets
My Gear:
Schecter SLS (EMGs)
ESP Horizon
6505 head
Marshall 1960lead cab
Boss noise gate
maxon od808
boss chorus
boss de-7
The bias mod cost just depends on if you can do it yourself, or if you can't, how much a tech guy will charge you. I think it's just changing the resistor that sets the bias out for a trim pot, or something like that.
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
+1 Change your Power Tubes for sure...

Preamp tubes, maybe if not NOS...

Gold pins will stop the corrosion on the surface of the pins on tubes sitting on shelves in storage. Once the pins are in contact with a socket that is not gold plated there will still be corrosion on the socket. Two dis-similar metals will generally corrode when they contact each other. Gold pins - cost virtually nothing to produce as the process is so simple and the plating is so thin - NO benefit with greater cost. One of the biggest scams in the tube world.
^ TS, for this reason you should always use some contact cleaner on the pins of your tubes when you change em out. Deoxit D5 is some good stuff for that.
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
As a 6534+ owner, dont do it.

It does sylosis but even then a JCM 800s a better amp for that.

And yes trivium did use a 6534 on the new record but only for leads, everything else was just a normal 5150.

3-4 years is probably a good time to swap tubes, but stick to 6L6s or look at a new amp. The 6534 takes away the signature charateristics of the 6505 and just plainly the only thing I think it does very well is djent. Ive had mine for a year and am selling it to move on to something else
About the gold stuff I was talking about I was looking on ordering off eurotubes site for replacement tubes and the gold option says it cleans up some of the noise I was actually looking towards a Marshall 410h but 2 grand is a lot to blow on an amp so I'm going with tube replacing for sure so looks like jj's is my best bet I'm basically looking for the same tone it has now maybe a little cleaned up, you guys have any ideas on tubes besides jj's?

Ps thanks for all the input definitely helping me out
My Gear:
Schecter SLS (EMGs)
ESP Horizon
6505 head
Marshall 1960lead cab
Boss noise gate
maxon od808
boss chorus
boss de-7
You'd need to at least change the screen resistor. Just put good 6L6's in there. SED =C= if you can afford them, JJ if you can't.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification