I got a guitar recently (LTD ec-1000). There was some mild fret buzz noises out of the box but otherwise the setup was pretty nice. The strings which came on the guitar were too light so I put some .11's on it, and tuned down a step. The fret buzzing is now worse. Any suggestions? The fret buzzing does go away if I play gently, but any time I start to strum a little harder, or pick with a bit of aggression it starts to rattle and buzz. I have to play very gently to avoid any buzzing.

If I fret the string at the 1st fret I don't see much of a difference in the string height, but the action around the 16th where the neck meets the body is pretty high. Also, the fret buzz is worse in the middle of the neck. I loosened the truss rod a quarter turn, and maybe this helped, but I'm not so sure, and I hear a lot of scare stories about damaging the neck so I don't want to go further with that at the moment.

Any suggestions? I'm considering lowering the action a little bit, and loosening the truss rod even more. You think this is the correct way to go?

My local shop wants to take the guitar for a week or more to do a setup, and to be honest, I don't trust them with my new guitar.

Any help and suggestions would be really appreciated!!!
Try lowering the action at the bridge. As a rule of thumb, when the action is high/low @ the 12th fret an onward adjust the bridge. If the action is high/low about the 12th fret, it is a truss rod issue.

Also, make sure you give the guitar a day or two to settle in after any serious adjustments.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
I'm concerned that lowering the action will make the buzzing worse, since the strings will be closer to the frets?
true, but you need to mess around with the action first. once you have the action set, you adjust the truss rod.

if you don't know what you are doing, take it to a tech.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.