As the title states, I just got my income tax back and am looking for some gear to buy. As of this current moment, I am just using a Cort 7-string with original pickups (I have no idea what pickups they actually are; I'm assuming they are the originals) and a Line 6 HD147 head with the FBV longboard and matching 4x12 cab. I only have about $1200 to spend but am willing to possibly go higher if it's worth it. I've been looking into getting a set of Bare Knuckle's Painkiller pickups and a new head. If you haven't already guessed, I play a majority of metal. Mostly "djent" but I do play some jazz every now and then. My main concern is a head. I've looked into getting a Line 6 DT50 but have been pretty discouraged after reading some of the reviews for it. Of course, just like any other metal guitar player, I would love to get an ENGL, Freyette, or VHT but that's just not in the cards for me at this time. Any and all help is always greatly appreciated. Cheers!
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by z4twenny
if i wanna fart into a mic, run it thru delay and an auto tuner set to the key of E and set it to a drum beat i can and its music.
BKP Painkillers are awesome.
As for an amp, Peavey 6505, Orange Thunder 30, Laney IronHeart.

They all have a shitload of gain on tap, all have to decide is which you like better.

The Orange has tons of gain and better cleans than the other two but 30w may not be enough for djent.

The Peavey and the Ironheart are pretty similar but the ironheart has better cleans and its modern british voiced rather than modern american voiced (i think).
I've looked at an Orange Dual Terror 30W and it didn't seem that bad for the price. I've also messed around with a 6505 and they're good as well. The Laney is one I have not heard of, though. I'll look into those now. Thanks!

Quote by z4twenny
if i wanna fart into a mic, run it thru delay and an auto tuner set to the key of E and set it to a drum beat i can and its music.
I think I'm going to buy the Egnator Armageddon with my tax refund.
Last edited by 667 at Mar 2, 2012,
Quote by Seanthesheep
Mesa mini rec

Dude!

BKPs = $300.
$1200 - $300 = $900

Mini Rec = $1600

$900 - $1600 = -$700

I hate it when people recommend stuff that are 1,000,000 times above budget.
Plus, even the Orange Dark Terror sounds better for metal than a Mini Rec and its half the price. Orange amps are some the the most awesome amps around.

I wish i could afford a Rockerverb or Astroverb
Sorry the mini rec is 999$ at stores near me, and I didnt realize you were set on BKPs, and yeathe dark terror is cool but Ive played both And Imo I prefer the mini rec, more powerful, versatile, and to me just plainly sounds better
Put all your money into the amp. Get something good.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Peavey 3120 head used. Leaves room on budget and sounds amazing. I would suggest a V3 but don't think it will do djent nearly as well as the 3120 and the are about the same price used.

If you can push budget a touch a nice cab like a Avatar or Whitebox would be needed to handle the lows. Mesa's used might be out of the question but sometimes 2x12s come up cheap if someone is desperate.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by Cathbard
Put all your money into the amp. Get something good.

Actually, rereading the OP, this.

With 1200$ depending where you live thats an awesome budget, plenty of options even more so since you have a decent cab already
Thanks again for all the feedback. I've definitely got some things to research now.

Quote by z4twenny
Definitely go for the amp first. If you don't mind going used then your options are very good for $1200. You can find Mesa, Peavey, Orange, Krank, and a few Engl heads for your budget. Amp shopping is so much fun because of the possibilities. Good luck to you friend!
http://www.twitter.com/iamcIine

ESP Eclipse II Standard
Krank Revolution+
Krank Revolution 4x12
MXR 10-Band EQ
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR Custom Comp
Maxon OD808
Boss NS-2
hell if you wanted to you could pick up a used Splawn Quick Rod or Pro Mod. a nitro could be a possibility, but they may go a tad above your budget.

you could get a Fryette Sig X used for not a ton more (maybe $200) depends, you could get a used Fryette Sig:X.

those would obviously suck your total fund up, but they would be leaps and bounds better. than a 3120 or 6505 or mini rec.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/