Poll: Do you wear (reading) glasses?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you wear (reading) glasses?
I wear glasses but not reading glasses
9 36%
I have used/ still use reading glasses
3 12%
I don't wear glasses
13 52%
Voters: 25.
Have you ever used reading glasses? I need some advice.

I can't use the computer for longer than 20 minutes without my distance vision getting blurry and getting a headache. My eye doctor says I don't quite need a prescription at the moment, but if I continue to have problems then I should try some low-power reading glasses to see if that helps. What's considered low-power and is there something specific I should look for? There's a store that just opened up near here, and their reading glasses are only $5.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
Quote by OfCourseNot
Have you ever used reading glasses? I need some advice.

I can't use the computer for longer than 20 minutes without my distance vision getting blurry and getting a headache. My eye doctor says I don't quite need a prescription at the moment, but if I continue to have problems then I should try some low-power reading glasses to see if that helps. What's considered low-power and is there something specific I should look for? There's a store that just opened up near here, and their reading glasses are only $5.

Ok, I see this problem from time to time.

First, get rid of the Fluorescent lights if you are using them. I don't care if they are green, they cause headaches in people that are susceptible. Try LED bulbs if you can't use incandescent.

Next, if you have the ability to adjust the refresh rate of your monitor, do it. Try going from one extreme to the other.

Finally, and cheapest and fastest, every five minutes look around. Vary the range of your focus. This helps a lot of people.
Quote by seabear70
every five minutes look around. Vary the range of your focus. This helps a lot of people.

I do, but it's hard to remember to do that constantly and I still have issues.
Quote by WCPhils
Ibanez RG8
whole bunch o' pedals
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Low power would be ones with a 3A fuse.

Glasses are mains powered, right?

Usually, but these are more for bedroom reading.
Quote by WCPhils
Ibanez RG8
whole bunch o' pedals
Quote by OfCourseNot
Usually, but these are more for bedroom reading.

Well, as for the strengths thing, the 'off the shelf' reading glasses tend to be around 1-3 dioptres or thereabouts; and you can generally try them out before buying. So just take a book along with you, and see what works best.
I have properly prescribed glasses but I only have to use them for reading. I'd highly recommend getting some though if you're having issues - it's amazing how much difference it makes. I know it won't be the same for you, but I only realised after getting glasses that I'd never seen the colour black before in my life, it'd always been a dark grey.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
I wear glasses for everything except reading.
& by reading I mean reading books. I wear 'em when I'm on the computer, otherwise I got hunch over to be close enough to make out the text.
Last edited by neidnarb11890 at Mar 2, 2012,