Does anybody here know if it's possible for headphones to produce a sound that is 19 Hz or lower? Also, if not, are speakers or subwoofers capable of it?
Pretty sure anything below 40hz is inaudible to the human ear
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
you can't hear 19hz so not sure why you need it

Quote by ctfod
Isn't anything below 40hz inaudible to the human ear?

not 100%, but basically, if there is any other sound it will probably drowned it out. but you can feel more than you hear under 40hz.
Last edited by FireHawk at Mar 2, 2012,
I don't really know but I am curious as to why you need them. 19Hz is close to inaudible for humans (it probably is for most)....
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Possibly but 20hz is the limit for human hearing so theres no way to tell or use for a speaker that can handle the noise
Sound in the range of 19 Hz to 7 Hz may be inaudible, but it's still picked up subconsciously, and can have psychological effects. I thought it might be cool to experiment with.
I think if you take the chord to the back of it and then make sure to not let it fall off but then try and see if it will because that's sometimes the problem, that's what I'd do.
The range of human hearing is said to be from 20 hz to 20,000 hz, but most people can't hear sounds close to either extreme.

For this reason, headphones are not designed to exceed this range. If I understand correctly, signals at the boundaries of this range are reproduced at low amplitudes, while signals far outside the range cannot be reproduced at all. I guess theoretically you could get your headphones to pump out 19hz, but don't expect it to be loud. A subwoofer should be able to handle it, but either way you won't be able to hear it.
You wouldn't be able to hear it. You might be able to feel it though.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
nah.

Also, you can hear well below 40hz...... I don't know why Firehawk is saying that shit. My speakers (KRK RP8 Monitors) can produce down to 35hz and my 10 inch sub can go down to 20hz.
Quote by ChadLikesGuitar
nah.

Also, you can hear well below 40hz...... I don't know why Firehawk is saying that shit. My speakers (KRK RP8 Monitors) can produce down to 35hz and my 10 inch sub can go down to 20hz.

Just because they can produce down to 35hz and 20hz doesn't mean you can hear it. You can probably feel it with a sub, but you would need a high output to pump out 19hz to something detectable audibly.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Last edited by Niiko at Mar 2, 2012,
Quote by Niiko
Just because they can produce down to 35hz and 20hz doesn't mean you can hear it. You can probably feel it with a sub, but you would need a high output to pump out 19hz to something detectable.
You wouldn't have to be able to hear it; 19 Hz is what's referred to as infrasound. Just like you can't see infrared light, you can't hear infrasound. That being said, it still affects you psychologically.
Quote by ChadLikesGuitar
nah.

I actually said you could hear it, just barely and it will get drained out. Below 40 is sub frequencies. If you have a sub obviously this changes a little bit. We are talking about headphones hear not huge ass speaker systems, which still can be damaged by sound waves at around 25-30hz if they are cheap.

But like Niiko said it doesn't matter what your speaker can with stand if you can't hear it.

herby does make a good point though that yes it psychologically you can pick it up (or I have heard before), but really your between 20-40hz you feel more than you hear (like pounding of your body when you go to a big club with loud music, on a 4 to the floor style drum pattern).
Last edited by FireHawk at Mar 2, 2012,
Highend headphones will, look for the frequency response when you're buying headphones, normally it's around 20Hz to 20kHz, but I've seen headphones with a response of 10Hz.

I think I know what you're trying to do here. Speaker system will be more likely to work, headphones just won't have the power.
🙈 🙉 🙊