How was the metal scene in the 80's? And also, how was the local metal scene?

Hey! I wonder what was metal like in the 80's? How was it when the NWOBHM came? And what was it like beeing a metalhead back then? Most of the bands I listen to is from back then .... Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Accept, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and such!

And I came to think of one thing ... How was the local metal scene (if there were anything) Because today every major town have someone influenced by and playing the 80's heavy metal. If there are so many bands spawning playing old styles today (NWOBHM and thrash) was it many bands trying to be like those bands back then too?
Quote by carlos_almighty
You just wanna try it? My philosophy is, "If it makes you curious, try it at least once."

Also: "Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted!"
OP- you do realize that most of the people here were just born @ the tail end of the 80's or early 90's, right?
I was born in 77,but i think the metal scene back then was huge. Like during the 80's early 90's you'd see people at the malls who wore shirts of metal bands like the Scorpions and such and actually listened to the music.
Last edited by Axelfox at Mar 3, 2012,
i think metal is loud and obnoxious
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Quote by Axelfox
I was born in 77,but i think the metal scene back then was huge. Like during the 80's early 90's you'd see people at the malls who wore shirts of metal bands like the Scorpions and such and actually listened to the music. Compared to today,which most people who wear band shirts,don't know the bands,only like the designs. Like one time i saw a person recently wearing a Nirvana shirt and i said "dude,you like Nirvana too? And the person said "what are you talking about?"

You said that exact quote in a thread several months ago. Like hell that's recent.
I would imagine it was the same as it currently is.

A small dedicated following on one side, and lots of tourists and faux bands trying to cash in.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by guitgrinder
OP- you do realize that most of the people here were just born @ the tail end of the 80's or early 90's, right?

Yeah I realized that before making the thread, but I also kinda hoped a little there were somebody from that time that could answer :P
Quote by carlos_almighty
You just wanna try it? My philosophy is, "If it makes you curious, try it at least once."

Also: "Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted!"
Quote by progbass
I would imagine it was the same as it currently is.

A small dedicated following on one side, and lots of tourists and faux bands trying to cash in.

This answers your question. I've spoken to my Uncle about metal because he enjoys some classics like Sabbath, Dio, etc., and he grew up through the seventies and eighties. The responses I got consisted of, Slayer is too loud and just noise, and a plethora of glam rock bands being labeled as metal. I was born in the nineties so I cannot truly say what it was like, but I'm sure it is no different than it is today.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
ask that guy who says Savatage are death metal and that Sad Wings needs to be analyzed rhetorically as a battle between light and dark

he was there
Philosophy > Life
Probably gay just like the rest of everything

Also, in the immortal words of VampireGoldfish, destroyer of vaginal something or other,

Quote by Vag
Fuck Metallica

Pretty sure he said that, he says a lot of things. That is the eighties in a nutshell.
Last edited by severed-metal at Mar 3, 2012,
Quote by MoogleRancha
ask that girl who says Savatage are death metal and that Sad Wings needs to be analyzed rhetorically as a battle between light and dark

she was there

For clarification
Quote by rg_metal
I love to utilize furniture to achieve the desired penetration.

UGH!
taste
kaygade
Jeez, what a question to ask. I remember Ozzy coming out in 1980 with Randy Rhoads and I waited in line, but couldn't get tickets for the show. I saw Van Halen back in 1981 and almost didn't make it into the concert, but then they opened up more spaces and allowed more people in. So I ran to get my ticket and this girl stopped in front of me and she was literally "run over" by a small crowd. I stopped to help her up and see if she was okay, then I went into the concert and discovered to my horror that I lost most of my friends and spent the entire concert trying to find them. But it was impossible so I ended up just going to my seat and watching Eddie "shred."

Back then vinyl was king and everyone bought records like crazy. There were line-ups at record stores. Back then Heavy Metal was played on the radio and was quite mainstream. Just about everybody was into Heavy Metal back then. It is kind of hard to explain to people today but Metal was very popular back then. Everybody had long hair. So did I and I still do.

Hopefully that helps.

ron666
No Hellhammer yet, so gay.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Sorry, I thought we were talking about the 70's. Once Hellhammer came around Metal was good.
Quote by Steve08

Quote by Riffmast
Sorry, I thought we were talking about the 70's. Once Hellhammer came around Metal was good.

This. Hellhammer was the start of metal being metal.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Back when youtube was'nt bands primary outlet, primitive times.
Quote by Steve08

I can't remember the 80s metal scene (b.1987), but the cartoons were fvckin awesome!
Quote by Magero
Waitwaitwait.... ron666 ISN'T 14?
How... when.... but.......
Ow...

Hello Magero. Yes it is true. I am not 14. I am actually in my late 40s. I have been listening to heavy metal for a LONG LONG TIME.

ron666
Quote by Ziggy V
Clearly you've also been drunk for a LONG LONG TIME...

Yup and I am drinking right now, as we speak. I intend to never be sober.

ron666