Yeah so I've known for a couple of years now that my last name is fake. My grandfather was adopted from a family who gave him their lastname. And then my father decided to stick with that lastname too.

I find it a little confusing and even disgusting that my blood does not run in that family, that I go under a fake lastname. I guess I want to go under my real last name but I don't know if it's right to change or even is possible to change. I'm the only one in my family that cares about this. The others doesen't even care one bit. If only I changed back that would be a little weird, or would it?

Both last names are pretty unusual and I get asked pretty frequently about the fake one, which is frustrating because it's not the one I really belong to.

What are your thoughts about this? Is the history of your family important to you? Do you care at all about your ancestors?
Look at the American NFL or NBA, or all of Mexico today.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Riiight... The name I go by (my "fake" name if you will) is Callum Thomson.

If my dad hadn't been adopted I'd be Callum Fairburn.

I don't care
Last edited by whoomit at Mar 2, 2012,
No need to be so dramatic.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
This is like literally one of the dumbest things to be that upset about.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Don't worry, my last name's fake too. My great, great grandfather sold a blind man a lame horse, so he fled town and took on a new last name. Just kinda stuck, I guess.
How does that disgust you? My gramps changed his last name from Simpson to Scott due to having a falling out with the majority of his family. I really couldn't give any less of a shit.
My last name is from my father's estranged alcoholic father, so it's not like the grass is any greener on this side. idgaf.
You find it disgusting that your grandfather took the name of people who lovingly adopted him and raised him?

Your family has the right mindset, you're the disgusting one if you care THAT much about blood. Names change all the time, your grandfather is your family, and he was likely too young to care about what his last name was when he was adopted anyway.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

I don't know.. Maybe incorrect is the better word for it. Not being overly dramatic. Just thought about this just now.
What about all the women who give up their last name? Do you think it disgusts them that their blood doesn't run through that name?

Fuck no. Quit bitching about your first world problems
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Chill out. I regret saying it was disgusting now, shouldn't have written it. I guess I should stop thinking about it. No big deal
Ask Meta Worldpeace.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Quote by valennic
You find it disgusting that your grandfather took the name of people who lovingly adopted him and raised him?

Your family has the right mindset, you're the disgusting one if you care THAT much about blood. Names change all the time, your grandfather is your family, and he was likely too young to care about what his last name was when he was adopted anyway.

Quote by jambi_mantra
What about all the women who give up their last name? Do you think it disgusts them that their blood doesn't run through that name?

These guys said it right. TS, quit bitching.

In my restless dreams...
I see that town.
Silent Hill.
You promised you'd take me there again someday.
But you never did.

Well, I'm alone there now.
In our 'special place'...
Waiting for you.

Quote by jambi_mantra

This is a good point.

And actually TS, I am in the same situation as you. But I love my "fake" last name because I'm not a whiny little bitch about meaningless things.
I'm the same - exactly actually. I'm a Chung by blood but Ng by adoption. It doesn't really bother me in the slightest though nor do I really think it's fake. It's just upbringing but I prefer my blood name.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

I am in this exact same situation. My grandfather was adopted as well, and my family has his adopted last name. However, it in no way bothers me, and I really don't see why it bothers you. The only difference is that my name would have been Mullholland.
... For A Pair Of Brown Eyes

Quote by Bladez22
smoke, you get more awesome by the minute..... You have an epic beard, live near woods, listen to metal, grill stuff using makeshift bbqs out of old cans, and now we find out you have stabbed someone in the dick
I'm even thinking of shortening my last name 'cause it's too long and complicated.

Name's don't mean shit. Just do what you want to do in life and be remembered for that.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
My great grandfather switched his last name to his first to hide from the law, and it stuck I have the same name as him after he changed.
yo.

I BELIEVE
How about this: Screw blood, the people who raised your grandpa were his parents, so that's his real name.
And really, you care more about the name of the people who left their kid then the ones who lovingly took him in and raised him? The hell is wrong with you.
I just checked my pockets and everything, goddarnet I feel pretty bad. I mean this happened to me alot today so it's normal for me to be out of them, but still, I just wanted to, you know, be nice and all, but I can't brah: I'm out of ****s to give
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
My last name is fake too. It used to be Varsano (of Catalonian origin), but my grandfather changed it once he started working for the ministry of foreign affairs. I don't really give a ****, names are stupid anyway.
When my family's earliest ancestor to use our name moved to colonial New Jersey from some unspecified place in Germany, he Anglicized his name to what it is now (Sovereign).

He also had like three wives and a shitload of kids, and then hightailed it to Canada when the Revolution started, as he was allegedly a Loyalist.
A name is nothing more than a label. This is as stupid as people going "oh this is melodic progressive black metal and not just black metal!"

Your name does not define your roots. Your patronage to your heritage and family history does. Carry on family traditions, make them proud and be successful. Don't whine over a friggen name. You were fine until you realized a few years ago it wasn't even real, so what's the point in bothering now?
Quote by Holy Katana
When my family's earliest ancestor to use our name moved to colonial New Jersey from some unspecified place in Germany, he Anglicized his name to what it is now (Sovereign).

He also had like three wives and a shitload of kids, and then hightailed it to Canada when the Revolution started, as he was allegedly a Loyalist.

Sounds like a real swell guy.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
A name is nothing more than a label. This is as stupid as people going "oh this is melodic progressive black metal and not just black metal!"

That's a big difference, yo.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low