So I'm trying to learn about major scales and the relevant minors. So how can I figure out what the relevent minor is without using google?
Hi, you're better than me. Have a nice day!
the major sixth above.
Or a minor third below.

So from the major tonic go down three semitones and that is the tonic of the relative minor..

E.G. C major = C D E F G A B C

Relative Minor is A minor = A B C D E F G A
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Mar 2, 2012,
A minor third is it a whole step higher than a 5th?
From your major scale root count backwards three semitones.

So from D major you would go down to C# down to C down th B and the relative minor would be B minor

From A major you would go down to G# down to G down to F# and F# minor is the relative minor of A major.

So here's your chromatic scale: I'm just using sharps here but the sharps could also be flat (so C# could be written as Db; D# could be written as Eb etc)

C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C

So if your major is F# major then the relative minor is D# minor.

If you want to go from minor to find relative major just go up three semitones.
Si
Quote by Kilty Boxers
A minor third is it a whole step higher than a 5th?

A major sixth is a whole step higher than a perfect fifth.

So yeah you're on the right track (i think). if you know your perfect fifths then just go up one whole step and that is the root fo the relative minor.

But if you're going up from the root a minor third is a two whole steps LOWER than a Perfect 5th.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Mar 2, 2012,
If you want it dumbed down: To find your relative minor, go down three frets. To find your relative major, do the opposite.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

You should learn your intervals. Best place to start is with the Perfect fifths.

Learn to sing them as well so you can recognize the sound of a perfect fifth as well as being able to spell it.
Si
I spelled it wrong? Shit... Um do you have a dial up friendly link?
Also, does the relevant minor thing only work for the standard major scales or could you like do it with like the phrygian scale to?
First of all, relative minor, not relevant minor
Second, don't think about modes now, no phrgian for you... learn the basics, learn the chromatic scale, intervals, major scale, circle of fifths
Quote by Xiaoxi
The Byzantine scale was useful until the Ottoman scale came around and totally annihilated it.
Quote by mrkeka
, don't think about modes now

+1, they are not relevant at this time.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
+1, they are not relevant at this time.

i see what you did there.

i recommend taking a few steps back and approaching theory from the bottom up. it'll make things much clearer for you. start at the very foundation, and then advance when you've got a firm grasp on it.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Thanks everyone! Sorry for sounding stupid...
Quote by Kilty Boxers
So I'm trying to learn about major scales and the relevant minors. So how can I figure out what the relevent minor is without using google?

Actually, it's "relative minor". The RELATIVE minor key begins on the sixth of every major scale. So, you have to know the notes of any, (or every) major scale before you can determine the minor.

Frankly, writing out the notes of every major key for you, is above my pay grade, which is zilch.
In addition to a major, students may choose a minor concentration in another contenet area. The minor may be in a subject unrelated to your major in which you have a personal interest or it could be related to your intended career path. For example, an individual planning to become a physician and operate a clinic may find completing a business minor useful. Perhaps you plan to go into public health but are more interested in the biological basis of disese; a biology major with a community health minor would be a great combination.
You dont need all that fancy no how BRO just quit music theory and shit. All you need is to FEEL the music bro!

See ya on the street corner someday
Quote by Go0ber
You dont need all that fancy no how BRO just quit music theory and shit. All you need is to FEEL the music bro!

See ya on the street corner someday

^^ Don't listen to this guy.

The relative minor of a major scale is the 6th of the the major scale.
Let's take the C major scale for example....
Which would be something like this...

C(1) D(2) E(3) F(4) G(5) A(6) B(7)

^^ So the relative minor of the C major scale would be A minor.

So if I were to simplify it even more. On the E string, C major scale would start on the 8th fret. To find the relative minor, you move 3 frets backwards. Which would be the 5th fret and that would be the A note.

Hope you understood this explanation. If not, I apologize for my poor explanation.
Quote by Kilty Boxers

Go to your browser preferences and change the default settings.
Quote by Kilty Boxers

Do you mean relative?

Learn how to construct the notes of every major scale.

Go to the 6th note of that scale.

That note is your relative minor of that Major scale/Key

Best,

Sean
Quote by Kilty Boxers
Should I learn the circle of fifths?

You should. It's a helpful tool. I have mine memorized like the notes on my fretboard. It's great for on the fly scale constructions when you have to relate to the fretboard. Learn intervals too though, that will help with your ear and constructing/transcribing melodies.
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90