I've been playing guitar for about 3 years now, and I know a decent amount of theory. When I pick up my guitar every day all I do is work on songs I want to learn. I've written some songs that I think are decent but I'm not really happy with where I'm at all.

How do I practice theory? I know the theory in my head but I just don't know how to apply it to guitar. I don't want to sit down and run up and down scales for hours because that seems a bit useless to me. I'm never going to be doing that while actually playing anything, so I don't see why that would help.

Any ideas?
I like using wikipedia to practice theory because it always has a link to the definitions. I just keep linking around through parts of theory that interest me the most and then if its to far out of your knowledge zone, it usually has links for all the material that is used up to the theory youre wanting to know.

My English teacher told the class never to use wikipedia because it holds false informaation, but It has always been correct about things I looked up so I'm willing to take the chance.
Last edited by wbt1988 at Mar 2, 2012,
you should begin with scales (major, minor), flat and sharp notes (and when to apply them to each scale), the time of each note (i don't know the proper name in english) and intervals. where to get the information about that, i really can't tell you a good place (maybe wikipedia?), but if you can, you should attend some theoretical music classes, maybe for a couple of years. it should be enough for you to understand the basis and continue your studies further on your own, its easier that way.
Quote by z4twenny
Application is really the only good way of using theory

boom.

http://www.musictheory.net

go there, and go lesson by lesson. do not advance until you completely understand each topic. where applicable, find a way to apply everything you learn from each lesson to the guitar.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by ibz120
I've been playing guitar for about 3 years now, and I know a decent amount of theory. When I pick up my guitar every day all I do is work on songs I want to learn. I've written some songs that I think are decent but I'm not really happy with where I'm at all.

How do I practice theory? I know the theory in my head but I just don't know how to apply it to guitar. I don't want to sit down and run up and down scales for hours because that seems a bit useless to me. I'm never going to be doing that while actually playing anything, so I don't see why that would help.

Any ideas?

Music Theory serves Music, not the other way around. You need to focus on the music itself.
Quote by AeolianWolf
boom.

http://www.musictheory.net

go there, and go lesson by lesson. do not advance until you completely understand each topic. where applicable, find a way to apply everything you learn from each lesson to the guitar.

Thats why im ugs resident psycho, i got this crazy idea about playing music and not just reading about it.... well that and all the corpses.
In general, theory shouldn't be applicable. Knowing what NCTs that are used in part writing won't help you in the least bit when trying to compose a solo of your own. However, good places to start applying things would be scales, chords, roman numeral analysis. From there, ear training in relation to some theory topics is THE best thing you could posssibly do. The euphoria that you will recieve from finding that the song that has a chorus that consists of a ii - V - I progression is worthwhile.
Theory is almost useless until applied, we can talk about figured bass or counterpoint, but until you sit down and actually learn how it works and HEAR how it works and actually do it then i dont think you'll really grasp the concepts behind the ideas.
Last edited by z4twenny at Mar 3, 2012,