I have a Mesa 4x12 oversize cab. The construction is much more solid than any other cab that I've ever used or moved. How much weight can this realistically support on top of it?

Being a Dilbert-esque engineer, I normally like to quantify everything. But, in this case anecdotal evidence is totally fine. "I stacked a car on top of mine and it was ok" or something to that effect. :/
Quote by Seanthesheep
Realistically maybe 500lbs?

Thanks!

I kinda figured it would hold up quite a bit...

I want to put about 200lbs on it- two amp heads, a combo amp, and a few rackmount components. I'm just concerned about long term warpage. My plan is to build a modular stand for everything so it's not all resting on the cab, but in the meantime I'd hate to start stacking it all up and hear a loud "CRACK"
Dont take me 100% on that though.

My current 412s I bougjt wheels for at the hardware store, those are rated for a total of like 180? So I can only imagine how much the cab itself will support
Quote by Seanthesheep
Dont take me 100% on that though.

My current 412s I bougjt wheels for at the hardware store, those are rated for a total of like 180? So I can only imagine how much the cab itself will support

Haha no worries- it's not like I'm ever going to come close to 500lbs on it. I was just looking for a second opinion.
They're designed to have another 4x12 and a head or two on top of them, which puts you up around 300 pounds. 500 seems like a reasonable estimate of a maximum.
Quote by Roc8995
They're designed to have another 4x12 and a head or two on top of them, which puts you up around 300 pounds. 500 seems like a reasonable estimate of a maximum.

Exactly. Also the better the material the head is made of, the better the support will be.
http://www.twitter.com/iamcIine

ESP Eclipse II Standard
Krank Revolution+
Krank Revolution 4x12
MXR 10-Band EQ
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR Custom Comp
Maxon OD808
Boss NS-2
Prolly not a good idea to stack a head on top of another head because of the heat.

If they are Tube that is.
My Gear
Fender Strat ('97American Lonestar HSS)
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab
Quote by halfstacked
Prolly not a good idea to stack a head on top of another head because of the heat.

It seems to work ok...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Papabear505
It seems to work ok...

Altho the difference here is that if ole Joe's breaks, he has more than enough money to buy everything again, several times over.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Back when I used to use half stacks, I would regularly climb on top of my Marshall cab for an elevated rock out/high jumping point. Never did it one jot of damage
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Quote by halfstacked

lol nah

Almost all the heat is dissipated out the back. I've stack up to 6 amps on top of each other with no problem.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
yeah... many amps don't even have vent slits on the top (mine does not), but they ALL have big, wide open backs that let heat escape. You'd be fine stacking the heads.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by ragingkitty
Altho the difference here is that if ole Joe's breaks, he has more than enough money to buy everything again, several times over.

Actually Kitty, it's more flagrant than you think... on the YouTube Video of him "Showing off" his rig, when he takes you back, to show you "the Rack" you can see 10 grand worth of Silver Jubalee's stacked up as "Back up's" ...

I just want one..

I've stood on my cheap Bugera 2x12 to fix a light.. I'm a cool 265 lbs at the moment.. it held me.. Surely a "Good Quality" 4x12 cab thats NOT made of partical board will hold more than that..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Last edited by Papabear505 at Mar 3, 2012,
I balanced an M1 tank on top of my recto cab.

True story.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
I balanced an M1 tank on top of my recto cab.

True story.

1:24 scale.
http://www.twitter.com/iamcIine

ESP Eclipse II Standard
Krank Revolution+
Krank Revolution 4x12
MXR 10-Band EQ
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR Custom Comp
Maxon OD808
Boss NS-2
The only thing I'd worry about is the wheels going out.
It's happened to me a bunch from jumping off my cab during a show
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne