Could you list the best cabinets for this amp within say each price range.

I don't think I could go over 500 after paying for this thing

This also may be a dumb question, but for now is it possible to hook my Spider III 30w amp to my new peavey head? Just for playing in the mean time.
Quote by Seanthesheep
Avatars your best bet unless you can snag a mesa recto 412 or 212 used

This. Check out the Vintage 4x12 from Avatar. I believe it's based on the dimmensions of a Marshall cab, plus you can get any speakers in it you want and get it in any color of tolex and grillcloth.

If you'd rather get a 2x12, I'd go with a Contemporary 2x12. I have one, and I love it.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

If you get the 4x12, I reccomend getting four Celestion Vintage 30's, or get an X-patter with two Vintage 30's and either two G12T-75's or two G12K-100's
Hagstrom Swede w/Bare Knuckle Black Dogs
Peavey JSX
Avatar Contemporary 2x12 (Celestion V30/G12K100)
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Dunlop DVP1 Volume
JHS Sweet Tea
TC Electronic Corona Chorus
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Digitech Hardwire RV-7 Reverb
Whats so great about these avatar speakers? Also, I play metal, like, As I Lay Dying; August Burns Red; Metallica sometimes etc.. So I'm not sure which one of these would sound best for high gain playing.
ive heard avatar speakers are pretty good becaus they are well built, cheap, and they come with the speakers you want
Quote by ZackLilly
Whats so great about these avatar speakers? Also, I play metal, like, As I Lay Dying; August Burns Red; Metallica sometimes etc.. So I'm not sure which one of these would sound best for high gain playing.

Avatar cabs are really well built, good sounding cabs, especially for the price.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I've been looking around the forums and people seem to be saying anything using Vintage 30's will sound great. What do you guys think about Orange, I've only heard good things about those cabs.
Better, but also more expensive.

Actually, IME one of the best cabs for 6505 type amps, theyre dark with lots of low end and nice mids.

In order Id say: avatar------>mesa------->orange. The difference between mesa and orange is very small and Id be hapy with either one but for a 6505 Id prefer the orange just by a smidge
orange cabs are really nice, a lot nicer than avatar cabs. At $500 you can find a used mesa os rectifier cab too which are nicer than avatar cabs. You can also find used Bogner 2x12 cabs which which are nicer than the mesa's and on par with or better than oranges.
Just my opinion, but if you go with a Mesa cab, I wouldn't go with an oversized cab. The low frequencies tend to be flubby and uncontrolled and it turns to mud. If you want a tighter sound, you really have to dial out a low of bass on the amp to get it back under control. The oversize cabs are good for lower-powered amps with less bass response. For example, a friend of mine runs his Mesa DC-3 through an oversize cab, and it seems to add some girth and fatness that the amp lacks. However, for a 6505, I personally wouldn't go for an oversize. I'd stick with the standard size cabs.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Quote by rokket2005
orange cabs are really nice, a lot nicer than avatar cabs. At $500 you can find a used mesa os rectifier cab too which are nicer than avatar cabs. You can also find used Bogner 2x12 cabs which which are nicer than the mesa's and on par with or better than oranges.

I was under the impression avatar contemporaries were basically orange PPC closed backs...?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Where are you located? That's going to make a pretty big difference as to what you can get for what price.

In general, the best/most common cabs are the Mesa, Orange, Avatar, or the Marshall with the V30's (1960AV? I think?). Any of these will run you $400-600 in the used American market. So if you're in America, just stalk your Craigs List, one of these is bound to pop up.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
From my experience with my 5150:

Mesa 4x12 > Marshall 1960 4x12 >>>> Orange 2x12 >>>>>>>>> Carvin Legacy 4x12.

All except the Marshall have V30s.... edit: actually I guess I can't really say I know what the Marshall had.
Quote by oneblackened
I was under the impression avatar contemporaries were basically orange PPC closed backs...?

They are but they arent.

Te contemporarys are modeled after the orange 2x12s, but the dimensions are noticably different. The orange cabinet has a notably larger internal volume if you do the math which will effect tone.

And if you can snag a bogner OS closed back 212 for 500, do it without question
mesa rectifer 412 with v30s or a avatar with v30s ftw
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
are there many companies that still make wooden cabs? not all this compressed plywood stuff.
Quote by ZackLilly
Is the 2x12 bogner alchemist cab any good?

Yes, but not for a 6505. they are openback cabs which will get mushy fast with alot of gain, and are only 50 watt cabs. a Mesa Recto 2x12 would be great for you.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm going to go with the avatar 4x12. I'm not sure if I should go contemp, vintage, or traditional though?
the contempery is there over-sized cab baised on the Orange PPC so if you want bigger bass this is the one, The vintage style is basicaly Marshall demensions, and the traditional is the smaller "Fender" stlye cab.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I really like my Avatar cabinet; it's going to compliment my 6505 perfectly, when I get it.

Used, my 4x12 was $100. It has 4 V30s, and is very very beat up. This cab has been through years of gigging, and still holds strong. I plan on pulling off the ripped up tolex and putting on some of that Rhino truck bed lining, the spray-on stuff.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."