Ok, I picked up some Grover strap locks because they come in black chrome which matches my guitar hardware, but after reading some less than stellar reviews, I'm tempted to just use some Loxx nickel plated strap locks that I had bought earlier. They don't match quite as well, but they are a lot smaller too, so who's gonna notice? Anyone wanna give a testimony, or go off on a diatribe about either one of these?
I'm all ears (or I guess that would be eyes since this is the internet).
Thanks in advance to anyone with constructive input.
I use Loxx on my Les Paul. They do what they advertise and keep my guitar strap locked to the guitar. The only problem I can see is that you will not be able to use any strap that doesn't have Loxx on it.

Still, I've used them for about 3 months, took them to practice and gigs, and they hold up very well. Plus, they make removing your strap really easy.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
They do look pretty slick. Kinda expensive though, and they look like they'd unlock accidentally too easily.
Quote by jetwash69
They do look pretty slick. Kinda expensive though, and they look like they'd unlock accidentally too easily.

I was kind of skeptical at first, but they do hold on really well. I have never accidentally unlocked them. You have to deliberately pull on the Loxx to unlock your strap.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
From what I've researched, the Shallers are very good quality and reliability, and I might just go with those, but they I don't think they come in a "black chrome" do they (just black)? I'm also wondering about the Loxx, because I can't find many reviews (they pretty new), but the design looks very nice, unobtrusive and reliable. I'm not trying to pimp them, just looking for feedback, but here is a link.
schaller or bust IMO. they will not fail if installed properly.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I use the Dunlop dual designed lock. They're really good and they aren't expensive.
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
Okay, I thought I'd quit debating about it and just throw on the Loxx, and Grovers and see how they feel. Well, I gotta say, the Loxx win. Thing #1: The screws fit!!! I had tried a set of Gotohs also, because I had heard they were factory on some premium Ibanez, but the screws were too small, and I really didn't like the lock mech. I just finished trying the Grovers too, because they matched the best, but the screws were too small, and they just seemed a little clunky. I screwed on the Loxx, and they fit the factory holes perfectly (on my Iby RGA2FM), they seem very secure, look cool, and are easy to put on and take off. I think I'm sticking with these (and I got no toothpicks in my guitar), until I find something better, then I'll swap out for whatever is best.

(disclaimer: but I haven't tried Schaller or Dunlop, but I've heard they would require toothpicks too).
Quote by Rowdy Sluggins
Okay, I thought I'd quit debating about it and just throw on the Loxx, and Grovers and see how they feel. Well, I gotta say, the Loxx win. Thing #1: The screws fit!!! I had tried a set of Gotohs also, because I had heard they were factory on some premium Ibanez, but the screws were too small, and I really didn't like the lock mech. I just finished trying the Grovers too, because they matched the best, but the screws were too small, and they just seemed a little clunky. I screwed on the Loxx, and they fit the factory holes perfectly (on my Iby RGA2FM), they seem very secure, look cool, and are easy to put on and take off. I think I'm sticking with these (and I got no toothpicks in my guitar), until I find something better, then I'll swap out for whatever is best.

(disclaimer: but I haven't tried Schaller or Dunlop, but I've heard they would require toothpicks too).

Well....yeah. Typically strap lock screws need a shim if it replaces a standard button, otherwise the head would be too big to fit in the lug.

The Loxx's clearly don't have that issue, since it's not a conventional screw at all. As expensive as they are, Loxx certainly is operating on a much smaller margin. Those clearly cost a lot more to make.

It still seams that their design could easily catch on something and release, whereas that's almost impossible with the Schallers.

And no, I don't think Schaller does black chrome; just black. You could always polish it.

Hey, if you dig the Loxx, then just stick with it. Just don't blame us if you suffer an accidental release. I hope that doesn't happen.

Take care.

Edit: According to the website, Loxx doesn't make black chrome, either.

BTW, I've been using the Schallers for 6 years and never had a mishap. Haven't had one lose the nut, and I don't use Locktight on them, although that did come to mind when I read about some nuts coming loose. Shouldn't be necessary, though. As long as you have the lower end in a vice, use a big wrench on the nut, and re-tighten to the strap within a week or 2 (to compensate for the strap material compressing) then you shouldn't have problems. Might not be bad to check it yearly, though.

And no, you don't have to have the "U" pointing up; that's just a good practice as a backup. The system actually locks in if you do it right, so as long as it's locked, the orientation of the U doesn't matter. You want it facing up anyway to that it's easier to put on the guitar.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Mar 3, 2012,
Quote by jetwash69
Well....yeah. Typically strap lock screws need a shim if it replaces a standard button, otherwise the head would be too big to fit in the lug.

The Loxx's clearly don't have that issue, since it's not a conventional screw at all. As expensive as they are, Loxx certainly is operating on a much smaller margin. Those clearly cost a lot more to make.

It still seams that their design could easily catch on something and release, whereas that's almost impossible with the Schallers.

And no, I don't think Schaller does black chrome; just black. You could always polish it.

Hey, if you dig the Loxx, then just stick with it. Just don't blame us if you suffer an accidental release. I hope that doesn't happen.

Take care.

Thanks for the warning, and I appreciate it.
I'm new to this and just looking for the best thing I can find that fits my guitar and works reliably. I don't want my locks to catch on something, and if that has happened to anyone, I'd love to here about it. Also, trust me, I won't blame anyone but myself if they don't work and I drop my guitar.
i have shallers on my guitars and straps.

i have for years.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by jetwash69

Edit: According to the website, Loxx doesn't make black chrome, either.

BTW, I've been using the Schallers for 6 years and never had a mishap. Haven't had one lose the nut, and I don't use Locktight on them, although that did come to mind when I read about some nuts coming loose. Shouldn't be necessary, though. As long as you have the lower end in a vice, use a big wrench on the nut, and re-tighten to the strap within a week or 2 (to compensate for the strap material compressing) then you shouldn't have problems. Might not be bad to check it yearly, though.

And no, you don't have to have the "U" pointing up; that's just a good practice as a backup. The system actually locks in if you do it right, so as long as it's locked, the orientation of the U doesn't matter. You want it facing up anyway to that it's easier to put on the guitar.

To preface this, I work for Get'm Get'm Wear, which is the exclusive distributor of LOXX strap locks.

It is not possible to "catch" the LOXX button on something to make it release, unless somehow you got the pin literally wedged between two surfaces and then you pulled. You have to pull evenly from both sides or it will not release. I have extensively tried to do this, just to make sure and it does not happen.

Check out our product comparison between LOXX and Schallers to see some of the specific differences here: www.loxxusa.com/product-comparison

Also the black finish is actually black chrome. It is resistant to corrosion like the regular chrome, but the process of coating these does make it a bit weaker than regular chrome. As a result the black ones are more prone to scratching. Let me know if you have any questions, as I can probably answer them.