I just recorded a quick guitar improv today, mostly over just an E major chord haha. I want to know what you guys think of my note choice and melodies. I went for a less shreddy approach on this solo/improv. Lemme know what u think, thanks

The improv is on my profile, its called cool guitar improv http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/awesomo41894/

As always Ill C4C.
it had this really cool tone i've been after for a while but havent quite been able to find, it was fast, but the notes still rang out and made a full sound, even in the fast playing, I rather like it, it brings to mind a bit of a meld of iron maiden and metallica with some lighter rock influences at the same time
Quote by Viban
it had this really cool tone i've been after for a while but havent quite been able to find, it was fast, but the notes still rang out and made a full sound, even in the fast playing, I rather like it, it brings to mind a bit of a meld of iron maiden and metallica with some lighter rock influences at the same time

Thanks man, the tone was just from Guitar rig 4, I used the one called gods love (mc) for both leads and cleans, for cleans I just turned off the distortion parts of it haha. Is there anything you would like me to crit?
Quote by Jay McAllister
Nice lead work. What scale was that? Harm min.?

Thanks man IT was mostly E phrygian Dominant, or the fifth mode of A harmonic minor. I also added some chromatic passing tones between notes for flavor.

Is there anything of urs that you would like some crit on?
Quote by aaron aardvark
awesomo41894,
The background rhythm guitar should be more than one chord, surely you could do better than that. The lead guitar itself is quite good. Good lead guitar tone. Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1522714

haha yeah ik man. The whole reason I just put the backing as one chord, was to work on Stressing the phrygian dominant sound through using the chord tones plus the notes half step above or below, as they relate to the scale haha. I just wanted to get a really phrygian sounding thing. haha its not really a song, just an improv haha. I didnt even do this to post at first, but I liked my lead I layed down so I was like why not see what people think haha. Thanks for the crit, Ill check urs out now.
Damn very nice improvisation indeed. I would work on the rhythm if possible since your mad shredding like a beast I would think a faster rhythm would be advised xD That vibrato man you killed it with this. I would try and expand it if possible into a full song cause its awesome.

crit 4 crit Please take a look at my song

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1524133
Click My Library to see what I've written

My Library
Quote by Jonathan Trejo
Damn very nice improvisation indeed. I would work on the rhythm if possible since your mad shredding like a beast I would think a faster rhythm would be advised xD That vibrato man you killed it with this. I would try and expand it if possible into a full song cause its awesome.

crit 4 crit Please take a look at my song

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1524133

thanks man! I critted urs. By the sentence That vibrato man you killed it with this, do u mean it was really good........or really bad? haha Ive been working on vibrato a lot lately, getting a more soulful feel out of it.
Quote by awesomo41894
thanks man! I critted urs. By the sentence That vibrato man you killed it with this, do u mean it was really good........or really bad? haha Ive been working on vibrato a lot lately, getting a more soulful feel out of it.

Really gud! Sorry that's how I talk hehe definitely very good indeed bruh
Click My Library to see what I've written

My Library
Quote by Jonathan Trejo
Really gud! Sorry that's how I talk hehe definitely very good indeed bruh

haha its cool man. Thats how i took it at first but I was like oh i wonder if it could be the other way haha anyways thanks for the crit dude!
Quote by HaveSomeGlue
Wooah.

That was great. I love the sound of the kinda mix of Arabic/Indian music and rock/metal. It just sounds good.

Thanks a lot man that kind of sound is pretty easy to achieve, over just a major chord like I played. All i did mostly was play E major, and play in E phrygian dominant with some passing tones over it. There's a trick with that mode to get the exoticy sound haha All you have to do is outline the chord tones and the notes above em, so like for this E F, B C, and G# A. The notes F, C, and A create a TON of tension over the E major chord, and another cool thing about it, is even if you dont know your modes (I do) You just played six of the seven notes of e phrygian dominant. You can do this over any major chord and get a similar sound.