I have an odd question, I'm not sure that this is the correct forum, but I need a serious answer so that rules out The Pit . I want to set up my electric guitar for slide, so that being the case I want to take it to a shop to do this. Is it rude to bring in a guitar to be set up with strings that you didn't by from the shop? This is not a guitar center, it is a small store run by one man, he's the only person employed, and... he's kind of a weird guy. However he set up my acoustic perfect last fall, BUT that time I bought the strings in the store. Any thoughts...Is this a dumb question?
I SEE A BAD MOON RISING
I SEE TROUBLE ON THE WAY
Last edited by DylanHendrix at Mar 3, 2012,
are you still paying him for setting it up? if so, then i don't think it should be a problem.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Haha that's not rude; how will he even know?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I don't think so. You're paying him for a service. If that service involves using YOUR strings and he doesn't sell them, I don't see a problem at all. Even if he sells the strings, if you already have a set, I don't see any issue. He'll charge you for his labor and be done with it.

On the issue of avoiding The Pit... Wise decision. Wrong place for a serious answer. I avoid the Pit like the plague.
not really rude. if you own the strings, he'd be an ass for making you buy more.

I can understand him wanting to make a little money, but as far as he's concerned, you buying the set-up and bringing your own strings is better than him losing the set-up business because you refuse to buy strings
Certainly not. As others have said, if the tech is getting paid for a setup, he or she would have to be a genuine ass to get worked up over you not buying a new set of strings as well. I think you will be just fine with your request.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Nah its not rude, but those one man show type of stores are the ones you should be buying from anyway. Maybe buy a few replacement sets instead?
Quote by hyper5
Nah its not rude, but those one man show type of stores are the ones you should be buying from anyway. Maybe buy a few replacement sets instead?

I totaly agree with this.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by hyper5

+100. the service is (usually) so much better, well worth the slightly increased prices in my opinion
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
i usually have a set up when i buy a new guitar and ALWAYS take my own strings. it stands to reason, those are the strings that i like and will use n the future, so i want to make sure that the guitar is set up for that particular brand/guage.

there's nothing rude about it!
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by hyper5

Definitely agree with this. I always buy my strings in my local shop to try and keep them going, even so the number of shops within 20 miles of me has reduced from about 10 to only 3 in the past few years.

More people need to support these local business or they will all disappear.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
the profit to be made on a pack of strings is peanuts compared to what the guy will get for doing the setup.

don't sweat it.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
I've done it before, it's a little awkward when you see a sticker from another store but at the end of the day he was at my store getting work done on his guitar so who cares?

Quote by dr_john
the profit to be made on a pack of strings is peanuts compared to what the guy will get for doing the setup.

don't sweat it.

+1

Seriously. A few bucks are made with strings. Pretty much full profit is made with servicing
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"