Alright, I know that I definitely want to get a 7-string guitar within about the next year or so. I've been looking through options and have a pretty good idea of what I want. Now, what I am wondering, is if it would be worth it to order a custom Agile instead of something like, say, a Schecter Jeff Loomis 7FR. Would it be comparable in quality? Hardware? Pickups? Wood?

If anyone has any personal experience or advice, post it!

(Also thinking about just ordering a custom Carvin, but I don't like that they only come with licensed trems and their own brand of pickups without an option to have anything different)
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
When you say "Custom Agile," I am not sure what you mean. I don't know of Agile building guitars to a customer's specifications. The guitars they make have a strong following, and the upper-level models seem to give you a lot of nice features for the buck, so you might be very happy with one. What model are you considering?

Carvin guitars are made to extremely high standards, and their bridges are not licensed. They use original Schaller FR trems or Wilkinsons, or a tune-o-matic of their own if you get a hardtail setup. Yes, they offer only their own pickups, but if you don't like them, you can always swap them out for an aftermarket brand. If you've got the bucks and don't mind buying a made-to-order guitar without first playing it, then I highly recommend the Carvin offerings.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
When you say "Custom Agile," I am not sure what you mean. I don't know of Agile building guitars to a customer's specifications. The guitars they make have a strong following, and the upper-level models seem to give you a lot of nice features for the buck, so you might be very happy with one. What model are you considering?

Once a year they have a feature on their site where you can fill out a form choosing just about every option on the guitar for about the same price of their usual models. Definitely worth it.
Quote by synestershadows
Shai Hulud mother****er.
Quote by FatalGear41

Carvin guitars are made to extremely high standards, and their bridges are not licensed. They use original Schaller FR trems or Wilkinsons, or a tune-o-matic of their own if you get a hardtail setup. Yes, they offer only their own pickups, but if you don't like them, you can always swap them out for an aftermarket brand. If you've got the bucks and don't mind buying a made-to-order guitar without first playing it, then I highly recommend the Carvin offerings.

I just learned that they do about once a year. It'd probably be this http://www.rondomusic.com/product4845.html

Edit: also, it appears that they only do Original Floyds for 6 string bridges, but licensed ones for 7 strings http://www.carvinguitars.com/group/group.php?cid=88
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Last edited by GibsonMan321 at Mar 3, 2012,
If you can afford and justify the cost of a custom Carvin build, I don't know why you'd even consider Agile. Agile are a generic MIK mass-production brand and their 'custom' options extend to the finish colour, fretboard wood, pickups and if you're lucky, scale length; Carvins are (mostly) hand made in America to your specifications in every regard. Don't like stock Carvin pickups? Aside from the fact that Carvin started out as a pickup manufacturer and can make pretty good pcikups, it's not like it's hard to change pickups anyway. And everything else will be superior to any Agile you buy - everything.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
The Agile semi customs are really, really good if you're looking for a guitar under $1000. I recently got mine the other day, and it plays and sounds incredible for a MIK that cost me only $922 including the international shipping. I had an issue with them accidentally fitting a TOM instead of a Hipshot bridge on mine, but luckily I don't have a strong bridge preference either way. And after just emailing Kurt once, he gave me $100 refund and sent me a Hipshot bridge (even though it can't go on my TOM guitar now.)

If you want, my NGD thread is here (http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1523184), as well as a SS.org thread with a bit more discussion (http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sevenstring-guitars/189263-ngd-agile-custom-7-string-natural-flame.html).

That being said, Carvin guitar are a step above Agile in price and options, so if you can afford a Carvin and want that extra bit of craftsmanship, I'd definitely go with that.
Last edited by Pat_s1t at Mar 3, 2012,