Page 1 of 3
EVH-SETH
I knew a guy named Jim..
1,340 IQ
Im building my first project guitar yes the infamous 5150 replica! I finally got around to it and got all the parts rounded up and on their way. Here's what I've got:

Materials:

1980's Kramer Baretta Body (Poplar)
I bought this at my local guitar shop from the owner, was already sanded and ready to go. It has the tilted pickup slot which isn't totally accurate to Eddie's but im not going to make this thing perfect.

Random Non-Tilt Banana Neck i found on the Bay. I payed $60 for this thing and its BEAUTIFUL!! Its completely unfinished with stainless steel frets and and a Non-Tilt Hockey stick headstock. From what i can tell this thing was very well made. For $60 i'm very happy with it.

1980's Seymour Duncan JBJ!! The Juarez wound JB pickup from the late 80's. I picked this up from a cool guy who told me that he personally bought this pickup back in the 80's and hasn't had much use for it. Im really excited to hear how it sounds considering i have a regular JB wired in another guitar!

The ONLY place i'm cheating this guitar is... I'm going to start out with a Chrome Floyd Rose II off an old striker i had. I just don't have to the heart to put $140-200 into a bridge...yet. Ill get to switching it out someday but for now, that's what i'm using!

I now that everyone says "Use schallers" but i went with the Schaller styled Gotoh tuners. I find that more accurate to the actual 5150. Schallers are better tuners in general but for this certain project i got Gotohs from Stew-Macs.

Other various Materials:

-EVH 500k volume pot

-Jazz Bass knob

-"5150" and "Kramer" stickers from Nobozos

This is going to be a good 3-5 week project and ill post pictures as soon and as many as i can!
98' Peavey Wolfgang Special USA "Pat Pend"
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender Stickered Pinecaster Tele
Kramer 5150 Replica-GFS VEH
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
EVH-SETH
I knew a guy named Jim..
1,340 IQ
Putting on the first few coats of Primer:

Ready to Paint!

More Pictures to come!
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
EVH-SETH
I knew a guy named Jim..
1,340 IQ

All the Materials
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
xfatalherox
133 IQ
looking good man. Just out of curiosity, did you buy that neck from a chinese seller on ebay?
EVH-SETH
I knew a guy named Jim..
1,340 IQ
Quote by xfatalherox
looking good man. Just out of curiosity, did you buy that neck from a chinese seller on ebay?

Yes sir! I saw someone post about these in another forum. That's how I found out about them.
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
IronMaiden76
UG's Krabby Patty
2,300 IQ
looks pretty good so far man
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
EVH-SETH
I knew a guy named Jim..
1,340 IQ
Quote by Wisthekiller
The JBJ (or at least mine) sounds like a normal JB but a bit more treble.

Thats kind of good for an EVH tone I guess. I just think it's cool that it's not the "norm" kinda pickup.
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
X-plorer88
Unlisted User
1,397 IQ
Eeek, you're using enamel based paints... I hope you are planning on letting them cure for weeks before applying your clear coats.
And DO NOT use Nitrocellulose based clear over enamel! You'll have to use urethane or acrylic which can be a little more tricky to apply. I'd test their effect on a paint sample first too.

Looks good so far. I love the look of Kramer guitars. I've always wanted one. Good luck!

-Tony
Last edited by X-plorer88 at Mar 6, 2012,
Rusty_Chisel
636 IQ
did you put the neck on and then the bridge to make sure the scale length matched? Since you are mixing and matching parts, that could be an issue. better to make sure it is not an issue now or fix what needs to be fixed rather than later when you painted everything.
EVH-SETH
I knew a guy named Jim..
1,340 IQ
Quote by X-plorer88
Eeek, you're using enamel based paints... I hope you are planning on letting them cure for weeks before applying your clear coats.
And DO NOT use Nitrocellulose based clear over enamel! You'll have to use urethane or acrylic which can be a little more tricky to apply. I'd test their effect on a paint sample first too.

Looks good so far. I love the look of Kramer guitars. I've always wanted one. Good luck!

-Tony

Ya Im not I any hurry. I plan to leave this for weeks. I didnt check the scale length which is probably a good idea but I forgot :-/ that's ok though. I'm sure it will be fine. If push comes to shove I can just get a different neck. I didnt want to go put and find rust o leum which I also should have done but it's coming along great so far.

Thanks for all the input!!

Seth
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
EVH-SETH
I knew a guy named Jim..
1,340 IQ
Quote by Wisthekiller
I just checked, and it can nail the EVH Panama tone. Harmonics ring out well. Settings were Treble at 8, Mid at 4, Bass at 9 (it's a REALLY bright pickup), gain at 7 with a TS up front.

Awesome thats the tone I'm looking for!
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
EVH-SETH
I knew a guy named Jim..
1,340 IQ
Almost done with the white primer stage. Will post pictures soon!
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
IronMaiden76
UG's Krabby Patty
2,300 IQ
Post Pics Nao
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

EVH-SETH
I knew a guy named Jim..
1,340 IQ
Quote by IronMaiden76
Post Pics Nao

I will I will! I'm working right now. Will when I get off my shift.
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
IronMaiden76
UG's Krabby Patty
2,300 IQ
kidding bro, take your time
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

EVH-SETH
I knew a guy named Jim..
1,340 IQ
Hahaha
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
looking good seth!
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
EVH-SETH
I knew a guy named Jim..
1,340 IQ
Here she is with 2 cans of white primer! I had a slight mess up on the front anyone know the best way to smooth this over?

Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
IronMaiden76
UG's Krabby Patty
2,300 IQ
woohoo! pics!
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

Phoenix V
Registered MUser
715 IQ
Quote by EVH-SETH
Here she is with 2 cans of white primer! I had a slight mess up on the front anyone know the best way to smooth this over?

You need to wet sand it smooth it to the level of the surround and respray. Don't just focus your sanding just in that area though, else it will show up on the final coats of clear as a depressed area.

I also see dust nibs that have been painted over. You need to sand them flat also and you probably need a cleaner area to do your spraying. There are also pock holes. You should have filled these and sanded flat before you applied paint.

You're going to have to paint and sand a few more times before you're done with the colour coats if you want a great looking finish.
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Last edited by Phoenix V at Mar 9, 2012,
X-plorer88
Unlisted User
1,397 IQ
Yeah you should have used some kind of sanding sealer to fill the grain before you sprayed the primer coats. Make sure you use a sanding block to level it out.
EVH-SETH
I knew a guy named Jim..
1,340 IQ
Thanks for your advice guys, im not an expert and I appreciate it a lot. I luckily placed an order on some wet sand paper the other day so it should be here soon, before I do anything else I'll sand over the whole body and then add some more layers.
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
kustmace
UG Newbie
134 IQ
320 dry sand with a block on the front and rear, use a soft pad or the palm of your hand on the sides and curves. If you still have pinholes or low spots, clean it and tack it again, and apply another coat of primer. Repeat the sanding process, then clean it and tack it before applying color. Wet sand with 600 and a block between coats. Gonna look great!
IronMaiden76
UG's Krabby Patty
2,300 IQ
i like kramers a lot
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

EVH-SETH
I knew a guy named Jim..
1,340 IQ
Quote by kustmace
320 dry sand with a block on the front and rear, use a soft pad or the palm of your hand on the sides and curves. If you still have pinholes or low spots, clean it and tack it again, and apply another coat of primer. Repeat the sanding process, then clean it and tack it before applying color. Wet sand with 600 and a block between coats. Gonna look great!

Thanks I just used the last of the second bottle of WP and wet sanded with 800 to get rid of the bad part and to smooth the rest. i think im ready to put on some red now!
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
EVH-SETH
I knew a guy named Jim..
1,340 IQ
Im back with more project pics! I took a slight break before i striped it. Keep in mind i know its not perfect and im not trying to be. Im more going for a "similiar" replica

Anyhow, hes progress so far, between striping and first layer of red!

Front

Back

Sides

First Layer!

Ill be applying the layers slowly over the next couple weeks! Stay Tuned!
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
Chad11491
829 IQ
I don't think top notch tuners are super important on a floyd guitar, all they have to do is get it in tune. Once it's locked the bridge keeps it in tune. Just my opinion.

And just a heads up, look on ebay and music-go-round for 80's floyd roses. I got mine in minty new condition (the fine tuners are showing brass, but that's cool anyway imo) for 50 dollars shipped.....from music go round that is. So look, and you shall get an awesome bridge that will last a lifetime!
EVH-SETH
I knew a guy named Jim..
1,340 IQ
Quote by Wisthekiller
I am eagerly waiting...

So am i
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
EVH-SETH
I knew a guy named Jim..
1,340 IQ
Quote by Chad11491
I don't think top notch tuners are super important on a floyd guitar, all they have to do is get it in tune. Once it's locked the bridge keeps it in tune. Just my opinion.

And just a heads up, look on ebay and music-go-round for 80's floyd roses. I got mine in minty new condition (the fine tuners are showing brass, but that's cool anyway imo) for 50 dollars shipped.....from music go round that is. So look, and you shall get an awesome bridge that will last a lifetime!

I agree with you on the tuners but all the "experts" say to use schaller minis. As for the Floyd rose business, im not sure if you got a Floyd Rose Special? (my guess) but unless youre exremely lucky you will not usually find a REAL 80's Floyd for under $150. And trust me i looked. I do plan on upgrading the bridge eventually but until i NEED it, im happy with this dinky Floyd II
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
IronMaiden76
UG's Krabby Patty
2,300 IQ
was the striker a 200st? cuz i have one
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

da_
1,068 IQ
I got my 80's ORF for $50NZD. So like, $39USD haha. It was off a Kramer Baretta. It even came with a brand new nut and trem bar. To bad they were chrome and the floyd was black, but anyway. So I think if you look around you should find one pretty cheap.
EVH-SETH
I knew a guy named Jim..
1,340 IQ
That's awesome dude. I think try USED to go for that much before people couldn't tell the difference between good and bad floyds. Now there is so much info out there about the differences, it's helping people (including me) realize what they have. I'll keep looking o actually heard Floyd Rose Specials are pretty decent and have that classic look and are semi pieces of junk, not whole pieces any input?
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
IronMaiden76
UG's Krabby Patty
2,300 IQ
i just gutted my striker. pickups are going into a strat... hint hint pics
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

EVH-SETH
I knew a guy named Jim..
1,340 IQ
Took the tape off and wet sanded!

Looking closely reveals the tape didn't stick very well. But this is my replica and I really kind of like the drips and the paint seeps. It's what makes it different!
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
TinyManInside
32 IQ
Quote by EVH-SETH
Im back with more project pics! I took a slight break before i striped it. Keep in mind i know its not perfect and im not trying to be. Im more going for a "similiar" replica

Anyhow, hes progress so far, between striping and first layer of red!

Front

Back

Sides

First Layer!

Ill be applying the layers slowly over the next couple weeks! Stay Tuned!

Honestly I think I would like white and blue much better than the ubitquitous Frankenstrat red and white. I don't know if anyone sells a "Painter's Tape Blue", but I think that would look pretty sweet.
Last edited by TinyManInside at Jun 9, 2012,
IronMaiden76
UG's Krabby Patty
2,300 IQ
^I agree
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

EVH-SETH
I knew a guy named Jim..
1,340 IQ
That would look pretty sweet. I've seen one done like that before. Don't remember where.
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!