I have to find two related texts to "king lear". i'm absolutely stumped. suggestions please?
Atlas Shrugged
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Fact is nobody has ever proven smoking to cause cancer.
basically similar in terms of themes. The main theme is leadership here although i'll have to link it to other things as well. it's so difficult, sparknotes is the only reason i'm getting through this
Hmm King Lear

Othello would be an obvious choice... Group that with the wonderful lyrics of Cee Lo Green's f**k you

Theme: "Bitches acting up"
Father of ilikepirates And icesk8erqueen8
every man on here who tries to touch them will get his dick chopped off.

E-married to Shyne <3

Officialy has OddOneOut as e-sexslave
Quote by fretshredda
basically similar in terms of themes. The main theme is leadership here although i'll have to link it to other things as well. it's so difficult, sparknotes is the only reason i'm getting through this

In King Lear?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
yeah. we have to discuss good and bad leadership. here is the practise question they gave us

"Leaders and those in authority must prove themselves or they may lose their power. To what extent is this view of leadership true of your set text and one other text of your own choosing?
Quote by fretshredda
yeah. we have to discuss good and bad leadership. here is the practise question they gave us

"Leaders and those in authority must prove themselves or they may lose their power. To what extent is this view of leadership true of your set text and one other text of your own choosing?

"Henry V" for a "leader that proves himself"
You can pick pretty much anything, the point is to formulate your own opinion, pick a text you like and want to analyze (could be a song, book, movie, poem, etc) and show how it's related. English is essentially about learning how to interpret things, collect evidence, present argument... etc.
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
Quote by fretshredda

Is this for A Level?

I would recommend Othello for the similarities in downfall of the leader, and both have a female death at the end (spoiler alert, soz) and someone putting ideas in the leader's head. The relationship between the leader and the characters who die is different though.

If it is for A Level, you don't have to link to another Shakespeare play. You could look at a novel and then compare and contrast the way stage directions are different to the novel's narrative.
nah it doesn't have to be another shakespeare play, it can be anything, book, short story, movie, song etc
Quote by fretshredda
nah it doesn't have to be another shakespeare play, it can be anything, book, short story, movie, song etc

Ok. So it is for A Level?
Quote by fretshredda
well yeah, advanced english as it is called over here in Australia

Oh, damn. The reason I asked so many times is that I teach English in the UK, so if it was for the UK advanced level I could have helped you out.

Over here the most important thing we tell students is to do wider reading. Not just the one text and the one you are comparing it to, if you want to get the really top marks then bring in some literary theory as well. It doesn't have to be a real chore, you could always even quote the person who wrote the introduction in the front of your King Lear book, as long as you are proving to the people who mark your paper that you have considered different theoretical approaches to the texts.

Hope that's helpful
its sad we dont do essays on star wars. I'd own shit up.

but yeah, sparknotes. use them. really well.

or like actually do work. or something
I always thought King Lear was much like Watership Down. So maybe you can use this.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
If all else fails tell the teacher that you will let him shake your spear (penis). You might get off with what they call the "gentleman's C".
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by ripple07
If all else fails tell the teacher that you will let him shake your spear (penis). You might get off with what they call the "gentleman's C".

I googled and that term really exists.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
I googled and that term really exists.

Oh, I know.

Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by ripple07

Oh, I know.

You sneaky bastard.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Gentlemen's C, definitely gave me a laugh. Anyway, i've decided to use Animal Farm, mostly because i like that book and it has really obvious themes. Anyone want to give me some pointers as to how they compare in terms of leadership (King Lear and Animal Farm)
Quote by fretshredda
Gentlemen's C, definitely gave me a laugh. Anyway, i've decided to use Animal Farm, mostly because i like that book and it has really obvious themes. Anyone want to give me some pointers as to how they compare in terms of leadership (King Lear and Animal Farm)

That's a good choice. I wonder if 1984 would work?
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle