Page 1 of 2
Apart from huge bands like Metallica and Iron Maiden.....what kind of money do bands usually make? Bands like Killswitch Engage, BTBAM, Symphony x, Nevermore etc, basically well known but not household names.

I read on sevenstring.com (I think) that Steve Vai is worth about $4.3 million. Thats pretty good I think, though of course he must be doing clinics, giving lessons, session work which I doubt most guitarists are qualified or confident enough to feel comfortable doing.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

The solution is simple and obvious.

We revolt against ourselves. Mass suicide. The ultimate revolution.
Not a whole lot.

Basically, if you're not in a band that appeals to the mainstream masses, then you're not going to make much past an average salary. Unless of course your band completely blows up, but that is incredibly unlikely to happen.
West Ham United
Last edited by King Donkey at Mar 3, 2012,
Steve Vai also does alot of sponsor work for gear too so I'm sure that helps his income a decent amount.

As for other bands I don't know.
Last edited by That Old Geezer at Mar 3, 2012,
Watch the movie Anvil, Pretty much explains how little you make. more or less
Quote by sage76

I read on sevenstring.com (I think) that Steve Vai is worth about $4.3 million.

Not every musician played with whitesnake and david lee roth in their peak of popularity, plus has a successful solo career. Not to mention the money he makes from endorsements from morley and ibanez, plus he owns part of(if not all now, i know he cofounded) Favored Nations.

as well as money from tours and the like
Quote by dmbb1239
Watch the movie Anvil, Pretty much explains how little you make. more or less

Yeah I saw Anvil movie and I liked it, so I downloaded "This is Thirteen" and THEY SUCKED BALLS. That's why they weren't famous, even after 13, NOW 14 ALBUMS!!!

But take Psycroptic for example.
One of Australia's most famous oversea's metal bands.
They work as Painter's and Electricians.
Touring cost's them $40,000 in airfares, due to them living in Tasmania, you know, that tiny island underneath Australia that got left off the Sydney 2000 Olympics logo

Obviously if you live in America or Europe you save money on airfares, and you'd earn about $20,000 a year more.

So you have adecent income boost.
METAL!
Quote by rickyj
Not every musician played with whitesnake and david lee roth in their peak of popularity, plus has a successful solo career. Not to mention the money he makes from endorsements from morley and ibanez, plus he owns part of(if not all now, i know he cofounded) Favored Nations.

as well as money from tours and the like

True...but the ones I listed have decent popularity....they are just not top of the billboard material.

I was startled to hear that the synth player of symphony x works at guitar center or something. Making music is great and all....but this means little to no savings well into your 50s.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Quote by jani92jani
According to this vai's net worth is 14 million $
http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/rock-stars/steve-vai-net-worth/
once went trough all of 25 pages and i remmber that
Joe satrianis net worth is about 12 million
Yngwies about 7,5 million
Alexi laihos about 6 million
Jeff Becks about 19 million
BB.Kings about 30 million

Seems like an inaccurate website. They say Dave Mustaine is worth $20 million. Sounds way too little for someone who is cornering most of Megadeth's earnings. They also peg Slash at $32 million. It is widely known as a fact that he has at least 3 mansions worth a total of $20 million. I'm sure his net worth is way more.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Quote by jani92jani
Ok here is just few more to piss you off

Gene simmons 300 million
Paul stanley 125 million
James Hetfield 175 million
Lars ulrich 175 million
Justin bieber 100 million
Bono 900 million
the edge ( Guitarist of u2) 200 million
Jimmy buffet 400 million
kirk hammet 70 million

Lol why would I be pissed off....I'm just saying it seems inaccurate.

And seriously, if Metallica are actually worth that much.... I would've sold out too.

No wonder Dave was pissed for so long.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Again, it depends on the popularity of the band or artist. According to the website above, the guys of Avenged Sevenfold are worth an average $18million each, Hetfield at $175million etc. but again, it's the very small percentage of artists who make it to those levels of popularity and resulting album and tour ticket sales. Many fall by the wayside and revert back to ', normal' jobs and keep music as their hobby as opposed to profession. I hope to make it to even just half of the 'size of these bands such as Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold, Trivium etc and i wish you the best of luck if it is what you are aiming for
OH MY GOD IT SPINS!
Quote by jani92jani
Ok here is just few more to piss you off ( nothing personal Ofc)

Gene simmons 300 million
Paul stanley 125 million
James Hetfield 175 million
Lars ulrich 175 million
Justin bieber 100 million
Bono 900 million
the edge ( Guitarist of u2) 200 million
Jimmy buffet 400 million
kirk hammet 70 million
I love how Hetfield and Ulrich are worth 100 million more than Kirk Hammett.
Quote by jani92jani
yea, but according to that site Alexi laiho makes more than john petrucci and i dont believe that. DT is much bigger than COB.

Yeah, that punches a pretty big hole in their credibility.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
Yeah, that punches a pretty big hole in their credibility.

Agreed, They have a strong fanbase, and have had them for a few decades.

Also seeing how big some of their shows are, like score where they had visual artwork, and a small orchestra behind them, takes quite some money to do that.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by sage76
Lol why would I be pissed off....I'm just saying it seems inaccurate.

And seriously, if Metallica are actually worth that much.... I would've sold out too.

No wonder Dave was pissed for so long.

Also, Gene Simmons estimates his personal wealth at around $100million, and he's hardly the modest sort. If he was worth $300m, he'd let people know.
Most money from sales goes to the record companies. The musicians wages come mostly from merch and playing shows
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by jani92jani
100 million when and where did he say that, source plz? Kiss has made 500,000,000 $ only with their merchandise.

Source please?
4.3 million isn't all that much.

I used to live near the singer from Wolfmother and one time I found one of his payslips, $150,000 per year.
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
Quote by Julz127
4.3 million isn't all that much.

I used to live near the singer from Wolfmother and one time I found one of his payslips, $150,000 per year.

Andrew Stockdale? Really? You lived near him AND you managed to find some paycheck or payslip of his just lying around??
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Quote by sage76
Andrew Stockdale? Really? You lived near him AND you managed to find some paycheck or payslip of his just lying around??

Yeah, I lived down the street from him, used to stand outside his garage and listen to them rehearse.

edit: I've still got the payslip somewhere.
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
Quote by Julz127
Yeah, I lived down the street from him, used to stand outside his garage and listen to them rehearse.

Do these guys get a lot of unwanted visitors?

But $150,000 isn't really huge.....esp for someone who was on VH1 a lot.

Now it depends if that slip was like 1 paycheck or some tax thing which would give annual income.....
Quote by SlinkyBlue

I read somewhere that Steve Vai has some sort of special publishing deal with Sony. I forgot what exactly it was called, but basically he retains all creative control and Sony is only responsible for the distribution of his records. For that reason, he gets a very large share of the profits from each record sold.

I also remember reading an article about Mastodon, where they said they earn about a million dollars from a year-long world tour. Three quarters of that money goes towards paying off all the expenses and the record label. I suppose the rest is split between the band members. That's about 62,500 dollars each. Don't quote me on this, I don't remember where I read it.
Quote by Julz127

I don't know why anyone would voluntarily listen to Wolfmother.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by sage76
They also peg Slash at $32 million. It is widely known as a fact that he has at least 3 mansions worth a total of $20 million. I'm sure his net worth is way more.

Just because someone lives in a mansion doesn't mean they can actually afford to live there.
OUT OF ORDER
Musician and money both have creative control and Sony is only responsible for the distribution of his records. For that reason, he gets a very large share of the profits from each record sold.

cheap print
Reminds me of that paul waggoner interview on youtube, where hes wearing his panthers jersey. Bands make most their living off merch. So, those bands you mentioned are only as rich as however many tshirts you own (x)10^(x)
Last edited by jrcsgtpeppers at Mar 12, 2012,
Quote by sage76
Do these guys get a lot of unwanted visitors?

But $150,000 isn't really huge.....esp for someone who was on VH1 a lot.

Now it depends if that slip was like 1 paycheck or some tax thing which would give annual income.....

It's not a LOT by super rock star standards, but its still a hell of a lot more than a lot of people make per year in their professional careers.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Quote by jani92jani
you have so much hate!

Yes, and sadly it hasn't helped me shoot lightning out of my fingers at anything.
Quote by sage76
Apart from huge bands like Metallica and Iron Maiden.....what kind of money do bands usually make? Bands like Killswitch Engage, BTBAM, Symphony x, Nevermore etc, basically well known but not household names.

I read on sevenstring.com (I think) that Steve Vai is worth about $4.3 million. Thats pretty good I think, though of course he must be doing clinics, giving lessons, session work which I doubt most guitarists are qualified or confident enough to feel comfortable doing.

Manfred Mann did a lot of work playing commercial jingles back in the 60's and 70's. From what i understand, for a long time that was what they made most of their money from rather than albums and royalties.

The lesson to be learned from this is a paycheck is a paycheck.
Quote by seabear70
Manfred Mann did a lot of work playing commercial jingles back in the 60's and 70's. From what i understand, for a long time that was what they made most of their money from rather than albums and royalties.

The lesson to be learned from this is a paycheck is a paycheck.

According to Lemmy, he made more money on royalties from 'Mama I'm Coming Home'(which he wrote for Ozzy) than he made in his entire career with Motorhead. Possibly an exaggeration, but but probably true that he'd made considerably more from that than from any single album or tour at least.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
According to Lemmy, he made more money on royalties from 'Mama I'm Coming Home'(which he wrote for Ozzy) than he made in his entire career with Motorhead. Possibly an exaggeration, but but probably true that he'd made considerably more from that than from any single album or tour at least.

I gotta wonder how much Prince made for writing Manic Monday, and for that matter how much of his income comes from writing songs for other people.
Quote by seabear70
I gotta wonder how much Prince made for writing Manic Monday, and for that matter how much of his income comes from writing songs for other people.

Apparently, the guy who wrote the the music for the Weakest Link reckoned he could easily retire just on the royalities from that. I guess if what you just want is to make money, writing stuff for other people might just be the best route.
Quote by ma_tt11
It's not a LOT by super rock star standards, but its still a hell of a lot more than a lot of people make per year in their professional careers.

It is NOT a lot considering that he is way more popular than all the artists I mentioned put together.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Page 1 of 2