So hey guys, how's it going?

I'm having this issue with the wiring of my guitar. while you say meh go to the wiring thread I'll add that this is not to do with the wiring. I guess my guitar's pot is kind of dead or something.

basically my 2nd tone pot doesnt work at all. it's wired to my middle pickup (it's a strat) and well it doesnt function. I've checked the wiring and everything seems ok only that...
it was scratchy before so now I dont even hear any scratches. seems like it jsut died? does that happen?
How old is it? Have you multi-metered the connections while rotating it to see if it still does work, of it it's shorted/open circuited?
Quote by Rokeman
How old is it? Have you multi-metered the connections while rotating it to see if it still does work, of it it's shorted/open circuited?

it should be about 6-7 years old. I just didnt use it that much. also I'm pretty sure it's a cheap pot so I guess I can see how it happened.

I havent tried it with a DMM since I dont have one on me and I'm abroad so it kind of sux. I guess I should get a new pot.. but I dont have an iron either. may be I should at least get it for later when I'm back I can put it on?
Hmm you'd think it'd still at least be making some scratching noises when you moved it...

I'd want to at least make certain it's not a wire and definitely the pot with a multimeter before changing anything, but then again, if it was super scratchy to start with it'd be on the way out I guess. You can clean them, but that's not a permanent fix...

Up to you whether to get a new one now or later, but if you can't install it until later you'll have some more time to do some research into which one you want and where to buy it cheapest
Quote by Rokeman
Hmm you'd think it'd still at least be making some scratching noises when you moved it...

I'd want to at least make certain it's not a wire and definitely the pot with a multimeter before changing anything, but then again, if it was super scratchy to start with it'd be on the way out I guess. You can clean them, but that's not a permanent fix...

Up to you whether to get a new one now or later, but if you can't install it until later you'll have some more time to do some research into which one you want and where to buy it cheapest

nice thanks for the input.

yeah I was thinking it'd at least make a tiny difference. but it's completely silent :P

hmh... anyways. Im thinking whether I should get a DPDT push pull one or an ordinary pot. I have coiltap/split whatever and also phase cancellation, what else could I put on it?
Not really sure what else you could do? It's a Strat, so I'm guessing you've only got the one pickup to coilsplit... You could reverse the polarity of a pickup with a switch... There's also parallel/series wiring mods... Probs best to ask the wiring thread and search about the net for this stuff, as there's so many different things and ways to do it. You'll work it out

Quote by Rokeman
Not really sure what else you could do? It's a Strat, so I'm guessing you've only got the one pickup to coilsplit... You could reverse the polarity of a pickup with a switch... There's also parallel/series wiring mods... Probs best to ask the wiring thread and search about the net for this stuff, as there's so many different things and ways to do it. You'll work it out

to be honest... I have the following atm: bridge dual rail, bridge coil tapped with the mid single in phase cancelling, mid, mid neck coiltapped with cancelling, neck, then second mode (pull the DPDT): neck tapped, neck with bridge both tappped, bridge full, bridge tapped, bridge tapped (the first and 2nd positions in the second mode are the same, I have the middle full bridge for two reasons: 1. I couldnt avoid it, 2. You may want to use bridge dual rail/humbucker with the neck coil tapped/single coil XD )