I'm wanting to upgrade my cheap Behringer condenser mic for a better one so I can have two mics to get a fuller sounds from my amp.
My budget is around £100 (2nd hand on Ebay) which seems to put me in the Rode NT1, NT1000 kinda range.
What others should I be looking at for the best possible results without breaking the bank?
It all really depends on the preamp, a nice mic with a shoddy preamp wont sound any better, that said, i use a Rode NT5 on axis and a Beta 57 ( a regular 57 will do) off axis) but its really personal preference.
Quote by mcraddict81592
....what the **** do you do with 400 watts?
Wouldn't that completely limit you to playing huge shows because thats the ony time you could crank it w/o killing innoccent bystanders?
I'm using a Peavey Vypyr 75W with the sm57 going into a Scarlett 2i2 as an interface.
Are you saying it's pointless spending on a half decent mic with that kind of set up?
no, its never pointless, the focusrite interfaces are decent enough.
Quote by mcraddict81592
....what the **** do you do with 400 watts?
Wouldn't that completely limit you to playing huge shows because thats the ony time you could crank it w/o killing innoccent bystanders?
I thought Vypers had a direct recording line. I would try that. You are attempting to get a full sound from micing a modeling amp, which isn't much different than running a Le Pou Direct In amp sim with an impulse response and then micing the speaker.

I don't know, something to think about. I would try the line out and then run through like a mesa impulse response, if you really like your tone.

Spending money on mics for just a cheap amp is not the best investment. If you want to mic an amp I would save for a nice tube amp (not to say Vyper is a bad amp, I just wouldn't mic it or spend more money than an SM57 on it but its all your choice).

With that said buying a good condensor could be a good future investment.
Last edited by FireHawk at Mar 3, 2012,
With that interface it isn't pointless but with that amp it is. I always feel trying to mic up Solid State amps for a high gain sound is a futile act. Especially low end modelling amps.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Mar 3, 2012,
The USB and line out don't get me the sound I want, too boxy however I'm getting very pleasing results with the SM57, I just want to improve on it with an additional mic.
Not keen on tube amps, a personal thing and this amp does exactly what I want without having to buy stacks of pedals, not that I already don't have a few lol. Besides the missus would well and truly kill me if I spent a wedge on an expensive amp.
I'm not a serious guitarist, I'm a drummer who diddles around on the banjo for fun and records a few ideas, the condensor will also double as an overhead for the kit if and when I need it.
Quote by ChemicalFire
With that interface it isn't pointless but with that amp it is. I always feel trying to mic up Solid State amps for a high gain sound is a futile act. Especially low end modelling amps.

Dimebag got a decent sound from solid state ;0)
Quote by Beezerk

Dear god.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

The weakest link in your chain is the Vypyr.
Modelling amps sound great live but for some reason when mic'd in the studio they're just not as convincing - might be odd-order harmonics or some other complicated crap beyond our comprehension.

The Focusrite interface is more than good enough, and you should be able to get a great tone from the SM57. If your condenser is basically just there to add a bit of room sound, the cheap behringers are more than good enough.

If you're using a condenser mic to capture the room sound of your amp, you need to make sure you've got nice sounding room.
Quote by FireHawk
By the way depending on which cheap Behringer condenser you are using try rolling off a little of the low end on it and you can get some great results.

Thanks mate, would that be with a high pass filter or turning the bass down on the amp?

I eq'd a recent recording using the settings on a thread I found on here, sounds ok to me but a low of low end thrum on distorted settings if you get what I mean.
Quote by Beezerk
Thanks mate, would that be with a high pass filter or turning the bass down on the amp?

I eq'd a recent recording using the settings on a thread I found on here, sounds ok to me but a low of low end thrum on distorted settings if you get what I mean.

Yeah high pass it. I find with my cheap Behringer mic though I usually have to use a low shelve on a lot of things (mainly vocals) because of the response those things have in the bass frequencies, but on a guitar amp you are going to want to high pass it.
Quote by Beezerk

Nope

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
Nope

It's all personal preference however any self respecting metal fan I hope would agree with me.
And by metal I don't mean emo/homo metal or any other lightweight cr@p.
Quote by FireHawk
Yeah high pass it. I find with my cheap Behringer mic though I usually have to use a low shelve on a lot of things (mainly vocals) because of the response those things have in the bass frequencies, but on a guitar amp you are going to want to high pass it.

Arrgh, I've just realised a newbie clanger I'm making.

I have both the channels from the Scarlet 2i2 going into one track in Reaper (split left and right) instead of having them in two separate tracks.
Quote by Beezerk
It's all personal preference however any self respecting metal fan I hope would agree with me.
And by metal I don't mean emo/homo metal or any other lightweight cr@p.

Most metal fans would probably tell you Dime's tone is fizzy and lightweight.

It IS personal preference but most people regard Dime's tone as a tinny mess.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
Most metal fans would probably tell you Dime's tone is fizzy and lightweight.

It IS personal preference but most people regard Dime's tone as a tinny mess.

Funny, most metal fans I know think it sounds as heavy as fook
Quote by FireHawk
I thought Vypers had a direct recording line. I would try that. You are attempting to get a full sound from micing a modeling amp, which isn't much different than running a Le Pou Direct In amp sim with an impulse response and then micing the speaker.

I don't know, something to think about. I would try the line out and then run through like a mesa impulse response, if you really like your tone.

Spending money on mics for just a cheap amp is not the best investment. If you want to mic an amp I would save for a nice tube amp (not to say Vyper is a bad amp, I just wouldn't mic it or spend more money than an SM57 on it but its all your choice).

With that said buying a good condensor could be a good future investment.

+1 to this.

Not to say you can't get it to sound great... but it seems kinda pointless to spend more money on mics, than you spent on the amp (at least at the budget you're in right now).

Quote by Beezerk
Not keen on tube amps, a personal thing

No offense, but this is often a statement given by people who are inexperienced with amps and are trying to make themselves feel better about the cheap amps they own.

Not saying the Vypyr is bad, but even the tube version of the Vypyr is miles ahead of the solid state one. There are plenty of great solid state amps, hell - My main amp is technically "solid state" (Axe-FX II), but to say you like all solid state amps better than tube amps just shows how inexperienced you are with them.

Quote by Beezerk

It may have worked ok for sound he was going for, but Dimebag had one of the worst metal tones ever recorded. I have never once heard Dimebag's tone regarded as desirable.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Yes I'm not an amp expert but I've gigged with plenty of guitarists who've used both and I honestly do prefer solid state. It's a bit like my utter hatred for Strats, some people swear by them whereas I think they sound like twangy little things lol.
As nice as it would be I'm not going to spend a fortune on an amp which will only be used for a home recording bedroom (or living room in my case) warrior.
I've tried both the line out and usb output on the Vypyr, both give much worse results than my current micing set up to be honest, no life at all, much too processed.