So I'm doing grade 6 rockschool, and I've nailed the songs basically (I've chosen One by One, Musement Park and P.M.A) And I need to write my own solos for these songs. The thing is, I'm not too big on my theory, and I haven't a clue how to work out what scales to base the solos around. Any help?
What are the artists ? Honestly, you can already try to learn the whole pentatonic patterns, they're symetric and easy, and also versatile from a harmonic point of view.
Quote by Silverpack
What are the artists ? Honestly, you can already try to learn the whole pentatonic patterns, they're symetric and easy, and also versatile from a harmonic point of view.

They're written by composers specifically for the Rockschool books.

TS: Learn the theory. Half the point of learning from the Rockschool is that you get the theory in your head so you can write these solos yourself. I think if you have the books it even recommends you scales for the solos in the back of the book where the composers discuss the songs. I may be wrong on that though.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I may be wrong on that though.

IIRC you're not wrong.

TS, very few of us have the book your working from. We could probably help if you told us what the chord progressions under the solo sections were. Are you doing the exams? Do you have a teacher? If you do have a teacher, find a different one, cuz you should have been taught at least basic theory by now.

Edit: Actually, I have a PDF of the songs on my computer, Ill take a look. (I dont have the part of the book where they describe the songs nor do I have the CD).
Btw, I did Big Big Big, Mud Pie (bass) and Round Robben from grade six when I was in school, they're way cooler than your choices.

Musement Park doesn't seem to have a solo (either that or I'm missing a page).

PMA seems simple enough - all the chords are very much in the key of F#m. Use a mix of the F#m pentatonic (or blues) and F# natural minor scale, but if you want to sound more sophisticated then highlight the chord tones and learn some arpeggios (eg. over the D and Bm7 chords).

The solo in One By One could be a little more complicated.
Over the A5 and G5 chords you might want a typical blues-rock sound so play licks with a mixture of the A minor and A major pentatonic scales (a la Angus Young) or A Mixolydian if you've learned the 'mode shapes', but if that's too hard then just stick to A minor pentatonic/blues scale. Over the B5 you will want to either play the B minor pentatonic or B natural minor scale - then it goes back to A for two bars then repeats the progression another two times.

Edit Edit: mdc is a ninja
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Mar 3, 2012,
Just checked PMA on YouTube.

In the book does the key signature have 3 sharps by any chance? If so, for the solo, use F♯ minor pentatonic and F♯ minor blues scale.

For One By One, A Minor Pentatonic over A5 and G5, B Minor pentatonic over B5.
Last edited by mdc at Mar 3, 2012,
Quote by Hydra150
IIRC you're not wrong.

TS, very few of us have the book your working from. We could probably help if you told us what the chord progressions under the solo sections were. Are you doing the exams? Do you have a teacher? If you do have a teacher, find a different one, cuz you should have been taught at least basic theory by now.

Edit: Actually, I have a PDF of the songs on my computer, Ill take a look. (I dont have the part of the book where they describe the songs nor do I have the CD).
Btw, I did Big Big Big, Mud Pie (bass) and Round Robben from grade six when I was in school, they're way cooler than your choices.

Musement Park doesn't seem to have a solo (either that or I'm missing a page).

PMA seems simple enough - all the chords are very much in the key of F#m. Use a mix of the F#m pentatonic (or blues) and F# natural minor scale, but if you want to sound more sophisticated then highlight the chord tones and learn some arpeggios (eg. over the D and Bm7 chords).

The solo in One By One could be a little more complicated.
Over the A5 and G5 chords you might want a typical blues-rock sound (a la ACDC) so play a mixture of A minor pentatonic and A major pentatonic licks (or A Mixolydian if you've learned the 'mode shapes', but if that's too hard then just stick to A min pentatonic), but over the B5 you will want to either play the B minor pentatonic or B natural minor scale - then it goes back to A for two bars then repeats the progression another two times.

Edit Edit: mdc is a ninja

Thanks for that, it was a great help I stopped lessons a while ago, but I wanna get my Rockschool done fairly quickly so I can get more UCAS points for applying to Uni. And Musement park, you solo over the riff part at the end on repeats 3&4.
Quote by Tom-Huzzah
Thanks for that, it was a great help I stopped lessons a while ago, but I wanna get my Rockschool done fairly quickly so I can get more UCAS points for applying to Uni. And Musement park, you solo over the riff part at the end on repeats 3&4.

Well for Musement Park just use the A Blues scale (emphasise the b5 note).

You realise there are other parts to the Rockschool exams? Like theres a Quick Study piece, Ear Tests and general musicianship questions - and no doubt the examiner will ask you why you played what you played for the solos. Are you ready for all that stuff?

And at grade 6 you will earn 25 - 45 UCAS points and as someone in this thread said those UCAS points may not be worth anything. The most valuable thing about these guitar grades is that the motivate you to practice and you learn your theory and put it into practice - something you haven't done.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Mar 3, 2012,
Hey, I just had my Grade 6 exam a couple weeks ago (passed with Merit - 80%) I chose Musement Park, One By One and Big Big Big.

Look at the technical exercises at the back of your Grade 6 book. It gives you some scales and arpeggios that you can use and that you will need to know for the Technical Exercises part of the exam. I used A harmonic minor for Musement Park. One by One is in D major I think, I'm pretty sure my solo was mostly built around B minor pentatonic. PMA I didn't do because it was 3 pages long and the rest were just 2

Although the songs do account for most of your grade I really would stress that you practice the aural tests A LOT! Train your ears like a mofo.
Hello everyone... I'm having my assessment in Uni soon, but I'm not sure which scale or mode use in Grade 7 piece - Giant Homer Head
I know that Em pentatonic will work fine, but I think I need more than that.
Can anybody help me with that??

You can listen to the tune here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIPDzfHMWBw
1 - This thread is over a year old.
2 - This would be better placed in musician talk anyway.
3 - If you're following the grades you should know well enough what to use anyway. I'll tell you now though that it's unlikely to be a single scale over everything if it's a grade 7 piece.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.