I'm looking to buy a new laptop, and I've been wondering what a good computer is for recording. I'll be taking it to college, though, so it needs to be able to do other stuff too, though I don't foresee that being a huge issue. I already have Sony Acid, which (I think?) is a good recording software. So I don't really "need" Garageband. Any opinions will be welcomed! Thanks a lot!
I'm not overly familiar with Sony Acid, so I can't comment much on that...but it really depends on how many tracks and VST plugins you want to use. Obviously the more you use then the better the PC would have to be.
http://www.twitter.com/iamcIine

ESP Eclipse II Standard
Krank Revolution+
Krank Revolution 4x12
MXR 10-Band EQ
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR Custom Comp
Maxon OD808
Boss NS-2
We need some sort of budget, otherwise there's no way we'll be able to help you.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
It really depends on how much you will be punishing it as to what spec you need to maintain throughport. Assuming you are using a fairly basic sound card with minimal IO you should easily manage within your budget.

I just got a Toshiba R830 182

It's a good spec for the price and robust. The only thing I feel lets it down is the hard drive.
It's 640Gb but on under spec and 5400 RPM

The best thing for me was its weight <1.5Kg and its a 13.3" screen.
At the same time it packs core i5 and 6Gb.
But im tempted to replace the HDD with a better 7200 320GB drive I have, or maybe I'll just stick with it in a caddy... I haven't made my mind up.

If you are prepared to havea bgger laptop 15.6" you'll get something cheaper / more spec for your money.
---------------------------------------------------------------