Page 1 of 3
Can someone explain why are solid state amps not good enough for live performances? or why are tubes better? thanx
There are actualy some very nice sounding SS amps out there. PRS made the Harmonic Generator in the 90's and it is an awsome amp. The Roland JC120 is an awesome clean amp. Prichard Amps makes super nice SS amps. And these are just a few of the best.

Tons of Metal Bands use the Ampeg 140 and Crate GX130. There is also the ISP Thetta.

It really comes down to prefrence and How much you can spend and are willing to spend on gear.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
There are a lot of pros on this site who will tell you how it is, but from my experiences, a solid state amp can be played live, but it doesn't usually sound as good as tube amps, and many solid states cant deliver that extra punch to be heard over the drums, bass, etc, while the tube amps have way more power. Really though you can play a solid state amp just like a tube amp at a live performance. If you have a 100 watt solid state amp, that's basically the equivalent in loudness to a 20 or 30 watt tube amp. I don't have a lot of live playing experience yet, but I do know a little. Hope this helps somewhat.
C'mon, this gets covered here like, every single day. It's not that all tube amps are little pieces of heaven and all solid state and digital amps are rotten farts - it's all about preference. If you find an amp that produces a tone you like then go for it, doesn't really matter what's on the inside, does it?

I tend to be dissapointed with solid state and digital amps because a lot of them, in my experience, have the problem of becoming messy and mushy when played at loud volumes, whereas a lot of the tube amps I've had and tried out over the years tend to sound even better when cranked up. It's not a rule or anything, it's just a very crude generalization.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
The Peavey Bandit Transtube 112 is solid-state but it supposedly emulates a valve amp. I have never owned a valve amp but the Bandit has great sound nonetheless!

Generally tube amps are considered to have a warmer and more classic sound compared to transistor amps, and all classic rock artists used tube (partly because solid state amps weren't really in yet). Of course this is just a stereotypification. On the other hand solid-state amps require less maintenance and care than tube amps. In the end it just comes down to what you like.
Maybe because solid state amps don't have the feel and the warmth that tube amps do.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Look up the mighty Ampeg VH-140c. Death Metal was practically invented on it. Serious bands record and gig with it (and it's variants) to this day.
I like my solid state Ampeg SS-140C. Don't really care what anyone else says.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Most guitarists enjoy the dynamic response of a tube amp as well as the rich harmonic overtones the tubes produce that colour the sound in a way that pretty much defined what an electric guitar sounds like, back in the day.

Solid state amps have a lot more of a linear output from the speaker that is much less responsive to how you play, and they don't sound as rich as tube amps, but the benefit is they have a very tight, evenly articulated sound.

The way i see it is that they are different tones. I prefer tube for most things. but does that mean tube is better or does that make it just my opinion? i don't even need to answer that question.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
For those claiming that SS amps don't have the warmth, qualities, etc., of a tube amp... or that they can't be played loud enough to challenge drums, etc., then I suggest you try a Pritchard. I sold off my tube amps, and many other guitarists have done as well, once they got into a Pritchard. However, these start at 2K in price and are not typical SS amps. Eric Pritchard is the one who developed the PRS amp, then moved on from that company. As he stated, if you can measure any quality of a tube amp, it can be developed through solid state means, and he has truly done this. Not only are his amps rugged, but he has voicings (no, not digital modeling) of Fender, Vox, Boogie, and Marshall in his amps (just flick a switch), and I had MANY people not believing me that my amp had no tubes.
It's mostly due to preferance, dynamics, and harmonics. For more in depth, here:

http://www.theaudioarchive.com/TAA_Resources_Tubes_versus_Solid_State.htm

You can gig with solid state amps that don't cost 2k, but make sure you have AT LEAST 50watts, it's probably best if you have 100 or better.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Good SS>Bad tube
Good tube>Bad SS

Good tube Vs Good SS? Personal preference.

Well said......

+1 sir

on a side note.. After reading the topic,, 1st thing i did was check if the thread had been locked yet... LOL
#1 2001 MII Jackson DK-2
#2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire
#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe
#4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson
#5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special
#6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
Quote by kutless999
Maybe because solid state amps don't have the feel and the warmth that tube amps do.

Haha more empty phrases please.
Maybe because tube amps don't have the sterility and grim-ness that op amps do!
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Maybe because tube amps don't have the sterility and grim-ness that op amps do!

my god.. can we please just be a little more generalized here....

did my sarcasm properly transmit over the interwebz
#1 2001 MII Jackson DK-2
#2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire
#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe
#4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson
#5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special
#6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
The place where I'm yet to hear a SS amp compete is in dynamics where you are playing on the edge of breakup. I've never played a Pritchard though so I can't comment on those but every other one I've played has had dynamics of a brick wall.

And seriously? A Bandit?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 3, 2012,
A Bandit is the best first amp ever!

That being said, mine was sold to a beginner and I broke completely even.
Maybe because people enjoy looking at the pretty glow of tubes over the boring look of circuit boards.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Back in the mid to late 80s, my old man managed a music store when transtube was just coming out. They had a competition. Guess which one was the tube and which one was the solid state 10 times in a row, I couldn't remember the other amp, probably just another peavey tube amp. Both EQ'd exactly the same, both were running behind a curtain and he'd switch between the two. The winner could have their choice of any guitar in the store.

No one won it.

This whole valve vs. SS crap is so tiresome and so subjective it's ridiculous. Recording purposes and home purposes, I love the sound of tube amps. I own two. But for live playing, I would prefer to use a cheap solid state because honestly, audience's ears are shit. They won't hear the difference nor would they care. And I'd rather a $300 amp getting damaged or nicked than my $1500 one. The only reason I would play with an expensive amp is for my own benefit, what I'm used to and what I like hearing.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Last edited by Eppicurt at Mar 3, 2012,
So Adam, what you are saying is the guys weren't allowed to dial in the sweet spot? Just use the settings you had carefully dialed in yourselves?
I smell shenanigans.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
So Adam, what you are saying is the guys weren't allowed to dial in the sweet spot? Just use the settings you had carefully dialed in yourselves?
I smell shenanigans.

Possibly. I wasn't alive.

I think the point was that you could make it sound pretty damn close. The point wasn't to win a guitar, it was to show off the transtube thing.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Good SS>Bad tube
Good tube>Bad SS

Good tube Vs Good SS? Personal preference.

This.
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
I played with a guy that had a Bandit. I wasn't impressed in the slightest. Well, I thought it sounded ok at first but after a few days of listening to it I wanted to attack it with an axe.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Heck, SS amps have come a loooooooong way. I'd hazard a guess that they got a bad rap way back when they were brand new to the industry. And that negativity has just sort of crept along with the years. But these days even bargain ones sound damn good!
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Might not have been a bandit, like I said, I can't remember the amps that were used.
Bandits are fine for what they are, I'd use one live if I had to, but having said that they're $400 amps. Of course it's not going to be the holy grail.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
When I hear one pull off that "edge of breakup" blues tone like you can do with an 18W'er or a JTM45 I'll sit up and take notice. Haven't seen it done properly yet.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by kutless999
Maybe because people enjoy looking at the pretty glow of tubes over the boring look of circuit boards.

+1
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
You never know, we're heading in that direction I think. I'm not holding my breath though.

But I mean if that's the sound you want, then go buy an 18W or a JTM45.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Edge of breakup.

Like this...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10952014/ACDC%203.mp3

I'm not hearing a lot of dynamics there man. The difference in picking strength should be generating far more variation than that. Let me guess - it's your Vyper Tube.
You may be able to get closer to the right effect if you crank the volume a lot with the gain turned right down if it is. But then of course the SS component will be doing sweet FA.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
That's a little better, well the last part is anyway (even if it does sound fargin horrible) - but now we are talking about computer simulations aren't we? It's still no JTM though.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 3, 2012,
Quote by Cathbard
When I hear one pull off that "edge of breakup" blues tone like you can do with an 18W'er or a JTM45 I'll sit up and take notice. Haven't seen it done properly yet.

oh cath, always demanding tube performance from a solid state amp...

i play solid state amps cuz i want a solid state tone. sound crazy? dunno why.

i have yet to hear a tube amp get the ringing harmonic content and warm compressed tones of my Acoustic 270R. i know how you feel about 'dynamics' and what your preferences are, but you will always be disappointed with solid state amps if you want them to act like tube amps.

sometimes i want the tone of solid state amps, sometimes it sits in the mix just right for certain projects that i do. my whole album i just put together was done on solid state.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gumbilicious/music/all/play1091215

if you listen to the piece, try to listen to it in context to the song, not just comparing it to a tube amp. while it may not be considered 'tube tone', i think it is quite worthy.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Mar 3, 2012,
Cathbard, you have to come jam with my setup. It doesn't break up the same, but I can have my grindcore tone, roll my volume knob to a perceivied "One", and get an almost clean slightly broken tone. Hit harder and its meaner. Still not tube, but IT DOES RESPOND, just differently.

+1 to gumbi and his gigging with a budget amp. I will likely use my 5150 when I gig, but if I had an investment in a NOS JTM45, that can stay at home, by my drum kit.
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Mar 3, 2012,
Tone is subjective, dont buy an amp just cause its tube or SS. Get an amp based on whether it has the features and tone that you want.

/thread
Page 1 of 3