consider pentatonic minor scale. Is it necessary to learn all the notes of a box for a particular key or just where the root notes are for the box? I find memorizing all notes position for a key very difficult, and it takes some time to determine what note is it except for the root note. What should i do?
No, learn the whole scale.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
For the pentatonic, if for example I'm playing in Bm, I'll know where the Bs are and I'll know where all the other notes are in relation to the Bs and Ill be aware of the intervals of all the notes but I wont necessarily know the names of the other notes - I have no need to think of the fifth as F#, for example. Perhaps I should (memorising the fretboard is always a good thing) but as I know how the scale is constructed I have no need to consciously think of the note names.
Last edited by Hydra150 at Mar 3, 2012,
Forget about the boxes. Learn the notes of the fretboard and learn scales as a series of notes and intervals.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Major pentatonic:
1 - 2 - 3 - 5 - 6

Minor pentatonic:
1 - b3 - 4 - 5 - b7
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Mar 3, 2012,
Just learn it, I got pretty close to learning 9 new scales in 40 minutes, and I'm a begiiner with a poor knowledge of music theory...
A few practice sessions time, you'll have em down.
I find the best way to memorise em is to do some improv with em later on.
Quote by Junior#1
Forget about the boxes. Learn the notes of the fretboard and learn scales as a series of notes and intervals.

Quote by Evilllamas
Just learn it, I got pretty close to learning 9 new scales in 40 minutes, and I'm a begiiner with a poor knowledge of music theory...
A few practice sessions time, you'll have em down.
I find the best way to memorise em is to do some improv with em later on.

what is this i don't even.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf

what is this i don't even.

+1
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Learn how to construct the scale (and thus which notes are in it), then find out where all those notes are on the fretboard.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp