Hope this is the right spot for this. Just a fairly quick and easy question.

So, Im recording a song, and want to know the best way to go about doing this vocal section at the end.

So it has one of those big Brand New style endings, and it just sounds a little clutterred. Over the guitars, its basically one main vocal line that repeats 4 times. On the second, third, and fourth time, a harmony comes in singing the same part. And on the 3rd and 4th time, theres a counter-melody that sings another part over top.

So what would be the best way to do this to ensure that it doesn't sound too cluttered?

I'm assuming not to just make them all centered. Would it be best to have the harmony panned to one side, and the counter melody to the other, with the main melody in the middle?
Could you give us a link to an example of how you want it to sound?
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat,
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
While there's only one vocal track I usually pan it on the middle. When the harmony vocals appear I would poussibly pan one track 50%-75% to the right and the other 50%-75% to the left. But, as "This Kidd" said, if you could give some references it would help us.
Even God has a Hell, his love for Humanity.
by Friedrich Nietzsche

Call me Edge
I guess I can get the harmony in there okay. My question is mainly now just the lead line vs. the counter melody line. Such as the ending to the Brand New songs, "Last Chance to Lose Your Keys" or "Soco Ameretto Lime", like this ending, http://vimeo.com/19960884

It sounds sorta like its just panned to two opposite sides with the main vocal in the center, but Im not sure about the other vocal parts.
I'm not entirelty sure about the panning, but I'd definitely say that EQing has as much to do with it as panning. You said your tracks were sounding cluttered, have you been using EQ so each vocal line has a specific EQ band to shine through?
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
Quote by This_Kidd
I'm not entirelty sure about the panning, but I'd definitely say that EQing has as much to do with it as panning. You said your tracks were sounding cluttered, have you been using EQ so each vocal line has a specific EQ band to shine through?

You know, I actually haven't really played around with EQing too much, so Im thinking that might be the problem. I'm just sticking to raw tracks in audacity, so there must not be much potential for having clear distinct tracks?
^Yeah dude, of course if you're using your own voice for every part that won't help, different vocalists have different characteristics which makes them easier to differentiate from one another.
All your vocal tracks are going to be taking up pretty much the same space within the mix and becuause it's the same voice, they're going to generally have the same harmonics etc. etc.

Having said that, I'd definitely say that at least sticking some EQs on there and having a mess about with them would be a good way to go!
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
As I am a bit new to the engineering side of things, I have a question regarding lead vocals while mixing.

Considering it is a single stereo vocal track how do you usually fit it in.

a) Do you leave the track centered
b) Pan hard L/R
c) One copy centered, another panned 50% L, another panned 50% R or other % (volumes adjusted accordingly)
d) One copy centered, another panned hard L, another panned hard R
(volumes adjusted accordingly)
e) Another theory or no-standard
It is the general concensus that vocal tracks should always be recorded in mono.
The main vocal track should be kept in the center.
After this, it's really down to you. You could add 2 more mono tracks and pan 1 left, 1 right, add effects or reverb to these to make the vocal bigger and more ethereal, use EQs to give different effects etc. etc.
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.