So the time has come for me to buy a new amplifier.

I'm stuck between a Marshall JCM200 DSL401 and a Blackstar HT Club-40.

I tried both out today, and I really like both amps. I just want some of your opinions.
I play mainly 70s/80s style rock and metal with heavy blues influences. Zeppelin, Guns, Dio etc. Even some newer stuff like Alter Bridge.

Do you guys know any pros and cons of both? Thanks a lot.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Blackstar all the way man. Love the way those amps sound. I would look around for a used JCM800, though. Those things would also do everything you want.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
Quote by jjbarnes
Blackstar all the way man. Love the way those amps sound. I would look around for a used JCM800, though. Those things would also do everything you want.

Yeah? I did like the Blackstar one a bit more, just 'cause it was a bit fatter sounding and seemed a bit more versatile.
I'll be running a Hardwire TL-2 pedal through it though so...

The budget is around £500. If I can find a used JCM800 for that, I might see how it goes.
Carmel is hawt
I'd say the Blackstar, or ideally a JCM800 like previously mentioned. I used to own a 401, and they're known for overheating a lot...and they do. Supposedly any model after 2003 was fixed, but my model was a 2004 and had the problem still. Point being, they're unreliable, and if you don't live near an amp tech (like me), then it's damn near impossible to fix, unless you're adventurous or good with that kind of stuff.
Splawn Quickrod
Various Pedals
PRS Custom 22
Ibanez RG560
American Standard Strat
Quote by mailbox2112
I'd say the Blackstar, or ideally a JCM800 like previously mentioned. I used to own a 401, and they're known for overheating a lot...and they do. Supposedly any model after 2003 was fixed, but my model was a 2004 and had the problem still. Point being, they're unreliable, and if you don't live near an amp tech (like me), then it's damn near impossible to fix, unless you're adventurous or good with that kind of stuff.

Ah, overheating doesn't sound too good. The 401 I think is older than '03. So if that's the case I'd rather play it safe.

I'll have a look around, but if I can't find/don't like the 800 I'll definitely go with the Blackstar!
Thanks!
Carmel is hawt
Have you considered the Jet City 50 combo? Very good amp for £450.
My Current Gear
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded (Cherry Burst) || Gibson Les Paul Junior (Vintage Sunburst)
Marshall 1987X and 1960AX || Weber Mass 100
Fulltone OCD pedal || Ibanez TS-9 tube screamer || Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker || Boss AC2
Do you want all valve?
'cos then the Blackstar is out of the question.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by HenryB
Have you considered the Jet City 50 combo? Very good amp for £450.

I've never heard of that!
YouTube makes it sound really promising though! I'll try to track one down to try! Thanks!

Quote by AtaBorMan
Do you want all valve?
'cos then the Blackstar is out of the question.

Yes I do. Really? The HT Club-40 is all valve, and that doesn't sound too bad though.
Carmel is hawt
The Blackstar's got a solid state phase inverter, loads of clipping diodes and what not.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by AtaBorMan
The Blackstar's got a solid state phase inverter, loads of clipping diodes and what not.

Oh? It still sounds pretty damn good though. It's valve enough for me I guess, haha.
Carmel is hawt
**** that shit, you can get a traynor ycv50b on thomann for under your budget.

EDIT: far as i'm aware, it's all-valve. i.e. i've seen the schematic, it's just dependent on how i've interpreted it but as far as i could tell, it was all tube-but ss reverb and loop drivers.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 3, 2012,
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
I've never heard of that!
YouTube makes it sound really promising though! I'll try to track one down to try! Thanks!

Yeah it's a relatively new American company (2009). Andertons music still have one in stock. As far as I know, that's the only place in the UK (online, anyway). Very nice amp; all valve (6x 12AX7 preamp/2x 6L6 power) and spring driven reverb. I bought mine without trying it (yeah, usually not the best idea), but I love it.
My Current Gear
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded (Cherry Burst) || Gibson Les Paul Junior (Vintage Sunburst)
Fulltone OCD pedal || Ibanez TS-9 tube screamer || Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker || Boss AC2
Quote by HenryB
Yeah it's a relatively new American company (2009). Andertons music still have one in stock. As far as I know, that's the only place in the UK (online, anyway). Very nice amp; all valve (6x 12AX7 preamp/2x 6L6 power) and spring driven reverb. I bought mine without trying it (yeah, usually not the best idea), but I love it.

I probably couldn't buy one without trying it. Especially for the price. I mean... I'm VERY fussy with gear. It needs to be PERFECT for me before I even consider buying it.

Quote by Dave_Mc
**** that shit, you can get a traynor ycv50b on thomann for under your budget.

EDIT: far as i'm aware, it's all-valve. i.e. i've seen the schematic, it's just dependent on how i've interpreted it but as far as i could tell, it was all tube-but ss reverb and loop drivers.

I've never heard of Traynor... I'll do a bit o' research on that too. Thanks.

Although, at the moment I am leaning mostly towards the Blackstar.
Carmel is hawt
If you live in/near London, Andertons has a shop in Guilford - you could try it out there.
My Current Gear
Quote by HenryB
If you live in/near London, Andertons has a shop in Guilford - you could try it out there.

Naw man. I'm in Bradford because of university, but I'm in Manchester quite often what with my family and friends being there.
Carmel is hawt
i haven't tried the blackstar but i have strong suspicions the traynor is better. for a start it's all-valve and has a decent stock speaker. it doesn't say that the blackstar cabinet is plywood, either, which normally means it isn't.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i haven't tried the blackstar but i have strong suspicions the traynor is better. for a start it's all-valve and has a decent stock speaker. it doesn't say that the blackstar cabinet is plywood, either, which normally means it isn't.

Well the Traynor and Blackstar both have a celestion speaker. They also both have 2 EL34s.

I guess I need to try the Traynor. Thanks though!
Carmel is hawt
no offence, but that means jack shit.

two el34s? wow. that's like saying my house is as good as yours because it has two light bulbs and yours does too.

celestion speakers? blackstar doesn't even deign to elaborate on exactly what speaker is in it. if it's a 70/80 (and it might not even be as good as a 70/80) it's terrible, for example. compared to the v30, which wouldn't be my choice for everything, but which is a "good" speaker.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Point taken.

Alright, I'll see if I can hunt down a Traynor to test.
Carmel is hawt
i don't think there are any dealers currently in the UK, but there were dealers here not that long ago, so keep an eye out and do some google searching and you might get lucky- find a shop with unsold stock, or maybe one might turn up second-hand in a shop or something.

EDIT: sorry if i was a little sarcastic above But you know what i mean. those things you mentioned don't really mean anything regarding the quality. amp makers put cheapo celestions into amps knowing they'll help them sell. Don't get me wrong, the good celestions are good but the cheapo ones are crappy (just like anything).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 4, 2012,
no problem
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?