I currently have an Alvarez RD8 and this guitar seems really unforgiving to a guy with big hands and fingers. I'm pretty much a beginner and been having a real hard time learning on this guitar. Anytime I pick up one of my friends guitars it seems like I can play much better and accurately. On the other hand they are pretty solid at guitar and really like how mine sounds and plays. The strings seem really high off the neck so my big fingers have to squeeze in deeper leaving less margin for error than other guitars I have tried. It also seems like the neck is fairly narrow and the strings are a little closer together but I may be wrong as I'm the furthest thing away from a guitar expert. Don't get me wrong I'm not 500lbs with big ol fat fingers or nothing, I'm a body builder and have very thick, strong hands and fingers that seem to work against me on this particular guitar.

So with that said I'm looking for opinions and tips to pick out a new guitar that may better suite me. If you have any suggestions I'm looking for an Acoustic Electric for around $500.

Thanks guys
The Seagull S6 Original seems like a likely candidate.

http://www.seagullguitars.com/seagull_s6_original.html

It has a slightly wider neck, so you might find it a better fit.

EDIT
The height of the strings on your guitar is something that can be changed. If you take your guitar to a music shop, they would be able to lower the action for a fee.
Last edited by another_dave at Mar 3, 2012,
another vote for the seagull original s6. wider, comfy fretboard. i don't have big hands, but my fingers breathed a sigh of relief when i got my s6, and since then i've stopped buying guitars with 1 11/16" nuts, and playing is much more fun. my playing, which wasn't shabby before, got 1000% better after i started playing guitars with wider necks. also the s6 is one of the best sounding solid tops around.

it isn't acoustic electric, but you can have a luthier add electronics. if you wait for another guitar center/musiciansfriend deals, you can get it for $399 - the 10% or 15% off for the coupon. then install a k&k pure western mini and you're there.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by haulinbass
....[ ]....Anytime I pick up one of my friends guitars it seems like I can play much better and accurately. On the other hand they are pretty solid at guitar and really like how mine sounds and plays. The strings seem really high off the neck so my big fingers have to squeeze in deeper leaving less margin for error than other guitars I have tried.

Just a couple of things. First, get the action set properly on your guitar. A high action is annoying, as it always seems like your fingers have to "climb over" adjacent strings, especially as you go higher up the neck.

Beginners, (& experienced players with bad habits), tend to not get their wrists far enough below the neck, or curl their fingers sufficiently, so the tips point straight down toward the strings. What this causes is the muting of adjacent strings, as it presents a wider finger profile to the fret board.

OK, I'm not saying that you wouldn't be happier with a wider neck guitar. Although, that has yet to be fully resolved. I think you should get the action adjusted, and examine your technique, either before, or during your guitar shopping.

Classical guitars have wider necks, to accomodate the fact they are designed to be fingerpicked. Steel strings typically have more narrow necks, on the order of 1 11/16" inches.

The only guitar I've owned with a truly too narrow neck was an ancient Guild, "Starfire III". Plus, it had a bigsby tremolo and wouldn't stay in tune. I'm sure if I thought about it awhile longer, I could come up with strikes 3 & 4 on that turd....
definitely like Cranky says, lower the action( string height) your hands just need to get acclimated with the guitar neck. I too have very muscular hands and i have the added problem of having broken my fingers countless times. your hands dont make that much of a difference is my point.bein' a 'juice-head don't make it any tougher to learn how to play, although, i've found that non-flat-backin'( Ovations) guitars don't dig under my chest and i get a good gat workout keeping it steady.
Quote by patticake
another vote for the seagull original s6. wider, comfy fretboard. i don't have big hands, but my fingers breathed a sigh of relief when i got my s6, and since then i've stopped buying guitars with 1 11/16" nuts, and playing is much more fun. my playing, which wasn't shabby before, got 1000% better after i started playing guitars with wider necks. also the s6 is one of the best sounding solid tops around.

it isn't acoustic electric, but you can have a luthier add electronics. if you wait for another guitar center/musiciansfriend deals, you can get it for $399 - the 10% or 15% off for the coupon. then install a k&k pure western mini and you're there.

Just chiming in to say that you can usually google (and quite often, find) discount coupons for pretty much anything at pretty much anytime. Right now I found about 3 or 4 for Guitar Center, for example
Thanks alot for the help guys! Appreciate it. Got quite a few posts here so not going to try and reply to them all but I def took something from each of them.