Hi guys,

I've recently bought an Ibanez RG and i want to try and recreate the sound heard from the Van Halen, Skid Row, Steve Vai's "Passion and Warfare" Era.

I understand the best way is to get a good distortion pedal, It's mainly gonna be for home usage but may end up using it in my band if I master the floyd rose :P

At the moment it's either gonna be used on a marshall JTM60 or a Line6 Spider 3 15w, However i may be getting rid of the jtm60 in favour of something newer (been having lots of aging problems with the amp but i digress) so if there would be an amp best suited for the job i'd love to know.

So yeah, budget isn't really an option. what's the best pedals?

Cheers!
Quote by Trowzaa
His name's too creative to be an adbot.
JCM 800/900 SLX and a TS-9/808
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
for that van halen tone? 5150 and a TS808, although running a quality boost/overdrive into a spider would just be waste of money.
For Vai tone Bogner Ecstasy and a Keely Modded Boss Ds-1 or a Jeminai distortion.
Carvin X100b.

That's what Vai used in those days as well as a lot of other shredders.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
if you are using one of those amps, I'd say take the jtm into a tech and get it working decently again, then get an mi audio crunchbox. the spider doesnt take pedals well. If you have it in the budget to get a new amp then that would be the best option, but I imagine if you are looking at pedals its not in the cards at the moment.
Just wait until you can get a good amp. You'll find yourself disappointed if you're using a good OD/dist on a crappy amp, and the JTM 60 is really not voiced towards shred-style stuff as far as I know.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by rob904
for that van halen tone? 5150 and a TS808, although running a quality boost/overdrive into a spider would just be waste of money.

Yeah believe me i'd rather not use the spider!

cheers for all the advice guys, gonna youtube these suggestions to hear them in action!!
Quote by Trowzaa
Quote by rokket2005
if you are using one of those amps, I'd say take the jtm into a tech and get it working decently again, then get an mi audio crunchbox. the spider doesnt take pedals well. If you have it in the budget to get a new amp then that would be the best option, but I imagine if you are looking at pedals its not in the cards at the moment.

The JTM is an amp I am currently borrowing off a friend, which if i can fix was gonna give me a good deal on. Some guy near me has been "fixing" it since december, already had £100 of my money. Not too happy but that's a different story.

I think I'm going to take a trip down my local shops on my next day off and get something better suited to my needs on finance or something!
Quote by Trowzaa
AMT Electronics Legend amps series P1. Fairly accurately emulates the sound of a 5150.

Look it up on YouTube there are a couple of demo's.
Last edited by sparkeyjames at Mar 3, 2012,
The classic van halen sound was not a 5150. It was a Marshall 68 super lead. Van halen 1 was released in 78 and the 5150 amp was released in the 90s. It is not really a good amp for the van halen, ironically enough. There were even reports that Eddie was running his Marshalls under the stage when he had the 5150 in the 90s.
and dont for get EVH used Soldano SLO amps for a while also, which the 5150 was a rip off of.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by AcousticMirror
get something that sounds like the slo.

and on the cheap that would be a Jet City JCA 22/50/100
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah, the Wampler Pinnacle will get you there.
EBMM Axis Black Cherry Burst
El Capistan
'74 Phase 90 re-issue
Boss BF-2
Hall of Fame Reverb
50 W 5150 III
I think out of all the recommended pedals, the wampler pinnacle is by far the best, sounds awesome!
Quote by Trowzaa