Hey all, ive been making music for a long time now and Im ready to start getting into home recording. I was looking at a BOSS BR1600 but then I figured that surely if I put together a PC that would be much more flexable and the skills learned more transferable.

I fix computers as a job but im usually replacing blown cap's and parts, I dont have a clue when it comes to whats required for home recording and im not too up-to-date on all the latest gear.

Im unsure of what recording software I will be using, but I will get something decent so that I can transfer the skills learnt. Right now Im just putting together a list of components and I would appriciate some help! I know the Sound card is gonna be one of the most important parts here, but thats one of the things I know least about!

I wana keep the cost to an absolute minimum.

So far I have ...

ATI FireMV 2250 PCIE x16 Dual Monitor Graphic Card - £19

Im thinking I should pick the sound card next so I would appriciate some help off people in the know here! I want to use windows 7 as the OS.
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
I would like to be able to record drums if need be so im thinking, 8 inputs...
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
Please post a specific budget, its hard for us to give recommendations based on general cost statements that could mean something completely different to others.

What are you planning on doing with it? Just recording tracks with some basic mixing, or are we talking 30+ tracks, with tons of plugins for a full mix? This will affect the cost a lot.

Also, the sound card is unimportant, what you need is an audio interface. It will replace your sound card and connect via USB or FireWire. Honestly, unless you're expecting to spend ~$1500+ for a nice computer, 8 channel interface, mics, headphones/monitors, this may be an instance where getting the multitracker may be the much better option.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Well I dont really have a budget, id just like it too be cheap as possible.. if it does turn out to be ridiculously expensive then I will give it a miss.

Im looking to be able to record a band, not all at once, this would include drums, bass, vocals, up to 3/4 guitar rythm tracks and a couple of lead tracks, keys.. possible a couple more but all recorded seperately. Im a guitarist & im looking to get recording instrumental music myself.

Im not looking to open a studio and start recording for labels or anything, I dont need to start with the best of the best, just enough to be able to learn, progress & expand upon. However, I am an experienced musician and I have spent a fair amount of time in studios so I dont want to end up with gear that will give me very poor quality of sound. I really am a newbie at this, but no one is born with the knowledge, I will learn, with a lot of work. I do understand this is a big undertaking and will require a lot of time and focus, learning to record my own music I mean .
Quote by Count Seanula
So, typically, will the audio interface also provide output to monitors, or will I need to run them into a seperate power amp? So that will handle ALL inputs and output? I expect I will be using USB 2.0, unless you think that is a bad Idea?
Quote by Count Seanula
Last edited by synth002 at Mar 3, 2012,
I see what you mean now, it looks like the audio interface could be the most expensive part of kit required from the start. It seems if it wasnt for wanting to record drums I could save a lot of money, though I know I would be hopeless at programming drums haha.

Perhaps I could make do with something smaller with less inputs for now, like place a few room mics or record from an electric kit. I think it would be premature for me to just give up.

So I have been looking at one of these to get started wit..

Tascam US-600 USB 2.0 - It can do up to 4 Xlr, though I wouldnt mind 6.

It should give me enough inputs to mic up an amp nicely & possibly give some rough drums via 4 room mic's. Im still unclear on the sort of singnal chain involved, ultimately (for now) wanting to record mic's into my computer do the editing, then have playback through a couple of monitors. I am unsure how the monitors are typically run off the system & whether active or passive monitors would be more appropirate or if one is considered vastly supirior to the other. Also, I have read a few people saying mixing is best done outboard, though I would have thought that could be done on the PC without too much difficulty.

I really could do with someone (or a couple of people) who are willing to help me through this , there are a lot of resources online but there seems to be so much information available on the subject it will be very difficult and time consuming for me to figure out what applies to my situation alone. I tend to pick things up quite quickly but in order for me to figure out whats right I need know whats wrong or doesnt apply.

My goal is to get into home recording I play in bands and also write solo material, I would like to learn & keep learning with the goal of cutting out paying for a studio to have band demo's done. This is as much for my own personal enjoyment & to further my knowledge as it is a practical exercise.

Thanks for any help!

Chris.
Quote by Count Seanula
Last edited by synth002 at Mar 4, 2012,