I really don't know anything about mixing specific heads with different cabinets, or vice versa.

Can somebody elaborate on what I need to look for/worry about when considering mixing two different brands.

My current situation is that I'm looking for a bass amp with the potential to do local shows and I would like to consider getting a head/Cabinet. I'm kinda doing the thing whole rummaging through pawn shops idea atm to see if I can find any cheap deals, but i've heard you have to be careful when mixing amps when it comes to wattage.

Thank you for your help!

(I apologize if this question is answered some where obvious but I haven't really found the answer to my understanding. )
Quote by foxhold
I really don't know anything about mixing specific heads with different cabinets, or vice versa.

Can somebody elaborate on what I need to look for/worry about when considering mixing two different brands.

My current situation is that I'm looking for a bass amp with the potential to do local shows and I would like to consider getting a head/Cabinet. I'm kinda doing the thing whole rummaging through pawn shops idea atm to see if I can find any cheap deals, but i've heard you have to be careful when mixing amps when it comes to wattage.

Thank you for your help!

(I apologize if this question is answered some where obvious but I haven't really found the answer to my understanding. )

Basics:

- Make sure head wattage doesn't exceed cab wattage or you could blow the speakers if you turn it up too loud.

- Make sure impedence (ohms) matches on the head and cab. There are some safe mismatches, but I wouldn't go there without some research to make sure it's safe and that it would produce the results you want.

That's about it, really.

BTW, depending on what you're doing, you might not even need a cab. Many amp heads have a direct out and you can just send that to your PA and monitors.

That's more commonly done with basses than guitars, but you can do it with many guitar amps, too.
Quote by jetwash69
BTW, depending on what you're doing, you might not even need a cab. Many amp heads have a direct out and you can just send that to your PA and monitors.

The head still needs to be plugged into a cab or something else to take the load.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Never turn a head on if it isn't hooked into a cabinet or something to take the load or you'll blow the transformer. Which depending on where you go to get that fixed could be upwards of $200 to fix.
Gear
Guitars-
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
Paul Reed Smith Mike Mushok Baritone
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
B-52 LS-100 and Matching cab
and tons of miscellaneous stuff
The head doesn't need to be plugged into a cab to take the load if it is set up like my Marshall JVM 410H...it sends the pre-amp signal through the line out when in "standby" mode. So the power amp section doesn't generate the load they're talking about and there's no need for a cab or other load absorber as long as you don't let anybody take it off standby.

I don't know how that would work with the bass amps or if all guitar tube amps with line outs work like this, but it would seem dumb for the manufacturer to set it up differently. I don't know how long they've been putting XLR line outs on amps, but I would hope they'd have gotten that right immediately when they started doing it.

BTW, my source on how the JVM works is Marshall's manual. And I operate it that way regularly, with no ill effect. And yeah, you do have to be careful. One time someone who didn't know better, but meant well flipped it from Standby to On. Luckily I caught it before I started playing or there could have been some damage. So yeah, it's not a bad idea to have a cab hooked up; it's certainly safer. But if you're careful, it's not always worth it.

If anyone knows for sure that there are some amp models that work differently, please post and specify which ones. I'd like to be better informed about such matters. Otherwise, I'm going to assume the manufacturers had some common sense...but I wouldn't do it with another amp without checking it out first.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Mar 5, 2012,