Hey guys, I have a Epi LP Custom with Gibson 57Classics, through a Fender Blues Jr.

I'd like to know how my guitar would compare against a genuine Gibson LP Custom ? How close am I ?
What would be the differences in the tone ?

Thanks!
not close
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
It wouldn't be as huge as some people would lead you to believe. You'll be able to feel the difference more than anyone not looking at the headstock will be able to hear. BUT the lesser wood quality combined with lesser electronics (aside from the pups) along with lesser construction quality will all contribute to a different and potentially lower quality tone. The similarities far outweigh the differences, you're much closer than someone with a strat, for example. You're even closer than my custom PRS.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Mar 3, 2012,
I didn't know the electronics aside from the pups matted much in tone? I wanted to upgrade the electronics in fact but I asked on this board and I got the answer that it wasn't a big deal!
It's not just the electronics that make up a Gibson. There's so much more involved.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Well if we're talking about things that Epiphone overlooks that Gibson doesn't, quality of signal chain is one of them and perhaps the one you have the most control over. You certainly can't pick a new piece of wood for the body or neck.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
It wouldn't be as huge as some people would lead you to believe. You'll be able to feel the difference more than anyone not looking at the headstock will be able to hear. BUT the lesser wood quality combined with lesser electronics (aside from the pups) along with lesser construction quality will all contribute to a different and potentially lower quality tone. The similarities far outweigh the differences, you're much closer than someone with a strat, for example. You're even closer than my custom PRS.

I wouldn't go so far as to say lower quality tone different to be sure but lower quality? Just remember tonal quality is subjective. Just look at all the gas threads. One mans bucket of shit is another mans treasure.
Last edited by sparkeyjames at Mar 3, 2012,
Quote by sparkeyjames
I wouldn't go so far as to say lower quality tone different to be sure but lower quality? Just remember quality is subjective. One mans bucket of shit is another mans treasure.

By lower quality I mean lacking clarity, muddy, tinny, etc. If you like that sound, more power to you. Tone may be subjective but quality never has been and never will be.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri

I checked a epiphone LP vs a gibson studio and a custom and they are all made a mahogany. Albeit, the Gibson custom was a solid piece of mahogany. Here is a quote from someone who works for gibson/epiphone

'Our Epiphone Les Paul guitars are built 100 percent to Gibson Les Paul specifications. However, an Epiphone Les Paul is different from a Gibson Les Paul in the following main areas: In general our [Epiphone] instruments are about 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of Gibson guitars. Therefore, we have to make some adjustments to the specifications in order to be able to offer our customers this kind of value....These adjustments include fewer inlays, a thinner maple-veneer top, and the use of chrome hardware instead of gold.'

I've listened to both, and the lower end epiphones aren't that great, but their high end customs are pretty damn good guitars. I've listened to people who collect gibsons say that Epiphone customs, while not the same, are pretty damn similar. I've even listened to the differences. I'm not saying a epiphone custom will beat out a extremely high end gibson, but as far as the more affordable gibsons go, I think they are pretty similar.
Quote by Kenjisan231
I checked a epiphone LP vs a gibson studio and a custom and they are all made a mahogany. Albeit, the Gibson custom was a solid piece of mahogany. Here is a quote from someone who works for gibson/epiphone

'Our Epiphone Les Paul guitars are built 100 percent to Gibson Les Paul specifications. However, an Epiphone Les Paul is different from a Gibson Les Paul in the following main areas: In general our [Epiphone] instruments are about 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of Gibson guitars. Therefore, we have to make some adjustments to the specifications in order to be able to offer our customers this kind of value....These adjustments include fewer inlays, a thinner maple-veneer top, and the use of chrome hardware instead of gold.'

I've listened to both, and the lower end epiphones aren't that great, but their high end customs are pretty damn good guitars. I've listened to people who collect gibsons say that Epiphone customs, while not the same, are pretty damn similar. I've even listened to the differences. I'm not saying a epiphone custom will beat out a extremely high end gibson, but as far as the more affordable gibsons go, I think they are pretty similar.

That's basically what I said....so I don't know why you're quoting me. But yeah, this.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
That's basically what I said....so I don't know why you're quoting me. But yeah, this.

The way it was worded seemed to be slighting the guitar, but I also have some sort of dyslexia and I misread some of what you said, so

/redacted
that's good stuff, so Epi are actually really good. Not to forget that I have Gibson 57classics in mine. The stock pups were not so good.

So in terms of tone, I would lack of what, sustain maybe?
well the thinner maple is going to make a big difference.

not as bright. lows won't be as punchy.

but I'm basing it on comparing it to a custom shop.

if you are comparing a gibson lp studio to a more expensive epiphone lp the difference will be less noticable.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AcousticMirror
well the thinner maple is going to make a big difference.

not as bright. lows won't be as punchy.

but I'm basing it on comparing it to a custom shop.

if you are comparing a gibson lp studio to a more expensive epiphone lp the difference will be less noticable.

I'd certainly rather have an Epiphone than the newest cheapo Gibsons that are around $400.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I own an Epiphone Les Paul. With replaced hardware, pups, elecs, nut and tuners it sounds better than lower end (IE: studio/sub $1000) gibson les pauls. Does it sound better than an $1800 Les Paul? I don't know, it sounds different. Not in a bad way, though.

Though, straight up: the Gibson pickups are much better than the Epiphone ones, but that's empirical data regarding the pickups on their own. With a good amp, you'll notice a decent change in tone with the upgraded pickups.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Last edited by Thomme at Mar 4, 2012,
i had a high-end epi LP for a couple of years. sounded alright. nothing compared to a gibson i played in a shop though.

Quote by Kenjisan231

congrats bro, you've just discovered a thing called marketing.

hint: people flat-out lie to sell shit to you.
Epiphone makes some nice budget guitars, but the level of QC and craftsmanship is not there like in a gibson. Gibson uses Nitro finishes, while Epiphone uses Polyester(trust me that alone is a huge diffrence right there).

While they say they have the same specs, the quality of wood is way better in a Gibson no matter what, unless your talking the Epi Elitist models and they were $1000+ guitars. Do you know there are really only 2 true spiecies of Mahogany and they are fom the Americas and you cant get them any more because of over foresting. So the "Mahogany" in a guitar now only refers to color (which I think is total BS).

I think Epi's are a good choice for the players who don't have $1000+ to throw down on a real Gibson. Just don't think that changing the PU's and electronics are gonna get you a Gibson, but you will end up with a nice playing sounding guitar.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate