What kind of pickups does Gibson use on it's es 335 model guitars?
I'm wondering because I have been upgrading my epiphone dot and I want it to sound as close to a Gibson as I can get it.

Note I know that my epiphone will never sound the same as a real Gibson but I'd like it to get close so don't bag on me for owning an epiphone.
Try Gibson 57's, they normally suit Epiphone guitars well.
If you wanna save some money though, Epiphone pickups usually have a lot of wax in them. So if you take the pickup apart and scrape off all the wax, you should get more gain and some more clarity.
The Gibson ES-335 Dot Fat Neck, 1963 ES-335 Block and 1959 Reissue come with '57 classics. Gibson ES-335 Block (not the 1963) comes with Burstbucker 1 & 2 Good that you realize that you won't get 100% of the sound, but I'm sure that no one will hate you for upgrading an Epi, it's a great idea.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by ClickSwitch
Try Gibson 57's, they normally suit Epiphone guitars well.
If you wanna save some money though, Epiphone pickups usually have a lot of wax in them. So if you take the pickup apart and scrape off all the wax, you should get more gain and some more clarity.
Removing the wax from a covered pickup will barely effect the tone, if at all. It certainly won't increase your output (which isn't gain, fyi).

Upgrade the pickups on your Epi by all means, but don't worry too much about what Gibson use. The pickups in the Epiphone ES and Dot models are based on the Gibson 57 Classic design anyway, so upgrading them to the actual Gibson 57 Classics won't change the sound much. You'll be paying a lot to get a very small increase in clarity. You may want to look at the Gibson BurstBuckers, as they give a slightly different tone, but they aren't made in a special way; they're just standard PAF copies, alnico 2 magnets with mismatched coils and no wax potting. You can get the same sort of pickup from other brands for less.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
The paradox here is that you want it to sound most like a Gibson but most people around here with a Gibson 335 change their pickups to something else. A new set of pickups is a great idea but you're going to get a better set of pickups if you get them from somewhere other than Gibson.

Really what you should be doing is trying to make a better guitar, not making it like a Gibson. The Gibson sounds better because it's a better guitar, not because it has Gibson pickups.
I am a big fan of StewMac's Parson's humbuckers. They make a few different varieties and they would probably work well for your Dot. I just put some StewMacs overwound buckers in my Ibanez 335 clone and I am extremely happy with them.
Ibanez SR1200E
Man, you need to put some Bare Knuckle pickups in there. It'll make you sound br00tz.

/bad troll

Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
i hate changing electronics out with a hollowbody. you probably won't enjoy it a whole lot more after the swap.

Gibson pickups are very expensive, unless you score a pair used off '57's ebay for a decent price.

i am a Gibson *****. but there are cheaper options.

that doesn't mean to cheap out, no GFS or anything like that, but SD should have something for a considerably lower price than Gibson that will probably get you in the ballpark.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Bear in mind that all Gibson 335s don't sound alike, even with identical pickups. So what you are wanting is to get close to what an average 335 sounds like. Classic 57s will get you there, but there are a lot of other options as well. SD Antiquities or Seth Lovers are good. Tons of pickups that try to emulate the original PAF sound (that's what '57s and Burstbuckers do). Look for a vintage wound (7-8.5 ohm) alnico V or II, and you'll be in the ballpark.

You might also work with someone who does hand winds... they can usually get you real close to what you want. Check with Bryan Gunsher http://www.bg-pups.com/ . I've also used John Benson's pickups... not sure if he does humbuckers. Last I talked to him he was going to start doing some.

The pickups in your dot now are Epiphones versions of Gibson's 57s, but they are not the same. I usually urge people to work with the stock pickups for awhile... different settings, height, etc., but in the case of Epiphones, I've owned and played enough of them to know that you will definitely benefit from an upgrade. Hey! Gibson has to cut corners somewhere to justify the $2,000 price difference, right?

Semi-hollow guitars are a bitch to swap out pickups though. Have fun with that!
I replaced the bridge pickup in my Dot with a SD SH-4. Got it professionally done at Guitar Center, and it sounds amazing. Plan on putting a '59 in the neck and an sh-2 custom put into the middle position. It will cost a lot of money, but it will be well worth it.
Quote by stormin1155
Bear in mind that all Gibson 335s don't sound alike, even with identical pickups. So what you are wanting is to get close to what an average 335 sounds like. Classic 57s will get you there, but there are a lot of other options as well. SD Antiquities or Seth Lovers are good. Tons of pickups that try to emulate the original PAF sound (that's what '57s and Burstbuckers do). Look for a vintage wound (7-8.5 ohm) alnico V or II, and you'll be in the ballpark.

You might also work with someone who does hand winds... they can usually get you real close to what you want. Check with Bryan Gunsher http://www.bg-pups.com/ . I've also used John Benson's pickups... not sure if he does humbuckers. Last I talked to him he was going to start doing some.

The pickups in your dot now are Epiphones versions of Gibson's 57s, but they are not the same. I usually urge people to work with the stock pickups for awhile... different settings, height, etc., but in the case of Epiphones, I've owned and played enough of them to know that you will definitely benefit from an upgrade. Hey! Gibson has to cut corners somewhere to justify the $2,000 price difference, right?

Semi-hollow guitars are a bitch to swap out pickups though. Have fun with that!

+1 on BG.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/